Panic :-) Holiday season is coming - How do you listen to your favourite music away from home?

That’s a smart approach. I hope it works. I’m not entirely sure it will because I think that’s going to result in the two sites being on different subnets and I don’t know how discovery will work. Depends on the Roon implementation. Or maybe you can get both sites on the same subnet by having just one DHCP server up. I’ve never tried this.

That’s clever. I wonder if doing this will cause the Roon error icon to show up all the time. That might be annoying.

You’ll figure it all out. A reasonably powered Synology makes a decent Docker host.

I’m rooting for you on this. It would be really interesting to know that it’s possible to run Roon this way across locations.

Well, @gtunes and anyone else interested…

I got it figured out - was some blood sweat and tears, but now that I have Aaron Turner’s amazing udp-proxy-2020 running in a container on my Unifi UDM Pro and passing port 9003 UDP packets to my phone and back, I can activate Teleport (ahem, Wireguard cough cough) on my phone over cellular, and use the Roon Remote, um, remotely. Which isn’t what I set out to do - I’m still trying to get my two homes to work as a single home with a single core when I can get UDP packets to go back and forth over my site-to-site OpenVPN tunnel, but as a side effect it is very cool. Except for storing music locally on my phone, I actually think I might like this solution better than ARC - though as you point out we’ll see if Teleport is stable enough. Anyways, that wasn’t my goal but it’s a nice side effect. And I relearned vi and used docker / podman for the first time.

1 Like

I’m just going to celebrate your progress without fully understanding it. It’s impressive watching you knock down the obstacles.

Things that I find confusing:

• I can’t keep Teleport working for more than a few seconds. I’m on T-Mo and even when I have decent signal strength, it drops
  • I don’t fully understand how the UDP router you’ve got up and running changes anything about whether or not Teleport routes UDP without something collaborating on the other end but I can see how that might work
  • I have L2TP set up between my phone and UniFi and I get exactly the same behavior you do with Teleport - if you do have issues with Teleport, L2TP is super easy to set up between iOS and UniFi
  • And, maybe most importantly….come on, man. Vi? It’s 2022! We’ve moved on to Vim (or at least that’s what my CS college student tells me when I look over their shoulder at what they’re doing and say “Vi? You still use Vi?” And they say, “No, Vim. It’s not the 80’s anymore, dad.”)

No need to respond to any of this….I’m curious enough about it to probably spend a few minutes understanding it all over the weekend.