Parasound Halo: DSD only works when converted to PCM?

Hey @Jeff_Nesheim,

Sorry for the slow response here. Based on what you’re describing it still sounds like, for some reason, the DAC is not receiving a bit-perfect stream at 100% volume. We’ve seen these exact same symptoms with a few DACs and nearly every time it has to do with volume.

A few more things to look at:

Can you confirm the volume is at 100% for your DAC in System Preferences

Can you also look at Audio MIDI Setup (search in Spotlight) and let me know if you’re seeing a Max Sample Rate or anything else out of the ordinary. Feel free to post some screenshots.

I’m going to follow up with Parasound as well, and see if we can get some more info, or provide them a license for Roon to troubleshoot that way as well.

Thanks for your patience here Jeff!

Thanks. Yep, I have tried it with the output volume to the dac set to 100% in the sound control panel. The audio midi suggestion is something I’ve not considered. I’ll check that out later today and report back (any particular optimized settings? Max available?)

I talked with Tony at Parasound, if you need a contact there.

-Jeff

Quick update here @Jeff_Nesheim – I’ve spoken with Tony as well, and he was super helpful. He’s able to reproduce the issue as well, so we’re looking into whether we can do some additional troubleshooting with him remotely, or whether it makes sense to have some gear sent over to Roon on load, so we can dig a little deeper.

Hard to say what’s going on here, but it feels vaguely like we’re making some progress :smile:

Will let you know as soon as I have some news here. Appreciate your patience!

Thanks for the update, @mike. Outstanding service and support by both Roon and Parasound. Thanks for working on it and I look forward to more info.

-Jeff

@Jeff_Nesheim @mike just wondering if there’s any update or solution on this issue?

I’m having exactly the same proble on my iMac/Roon when playing DSD files. I get very low volume and a hiss noise. I’m using a Sony UDA-1 which also supports playing native DSD playback up to 256.

I can also play them fine if Roon converts to PCM but ideally I would prefer to play DSD directly without the conversion.

Thanks!

Hey @Hugo – can you post some screenshots of your audio settings, like the ones here? That will help us understand whether this is a configuration issue, or if something else is going on.

Thanks!

Hi @mike - Thanks very much for the quick reply!

I’m attaching a few screens of my Roon settings as well as the signal path below. The screen where it shows the path is Roon playing a DSD64 file - which I can hear very low with some hiss.

I think I had it working at one point with normal volume…but now I can’t figure out what is causing the issue.
Using Sony’s software player, I can play the DSD files perfectly. The last screen is from the Sony manual, confirming the DAC can play DSD 2.8.5.6MHZ.

Many Thanks,

Hugo

Hi @mike…just to let you know, brian was able to find some info on my issue via another thread. Looks like the issue is with my DAC not supporting DSD over PCM. Looks like it’s time to buy a new DAC :grin:
Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Good Day

Love Roon but…

Having exactly same problem no DSD to Halo.

Checked all settings and correct.

Roon on mac pro server osx 10.12.1
Usb to parasound halo
Dsd doesnt play natievly or over DOP.

Must cinvert DSD to PCM to play.

DSD does play from JRiver easily.

Spoke to Tony at parasound - he reproduced problem but
no solution.

Any fix?

Dr. Paul

Hello. I have one of the Halo Integrated units being delivered on Wednesday of this week. I don’t have DSD files just yet, but was curious to see if there was ever any resolution to the issue. Thanks.

Eric

@support has this one fallen through the cracks?

I was the original poster, and I don’t believe there has ever been a good resolution. DSD plays to the Halo Integrated via other apps, but not Roon. I’ve since added a separate DAC (the awesome PS Audio DirectStream Jr) which I’m very happy with, for, among other things, serving as a Roon endpoint with great DSD playback.

That said, I’m still in love with the Halo as my amp. The sound is incredible, the phono stage is great, and it’s bypass mode saves me from having a separate set of speakers because my 2 channel and 5.1 systems are in the same room. Very happy with my choice of the Halo. It’s just that Roon DSD playback wasn’t meant to be. Aside from that one caveat (which I’ve worked around) it’s a great integrated amp.

Was just looking at your screens again…

If you say the Halo doesn’t support DoP, then you shouldn’t have it configured that way (per your settings screenshot). What happens if you change the “DSD Playback Strategy” setting?

1 Like

Dear @support team. I would need your help please:
Despite having simplified my setup and took out all the Pis off the chain, I still can’t play any DSD on my first system using Roon. (Macbook Pro => Roon => Parasound Halo Int USB DAC). I can hear a little music with lot of humming if I put “Volume Control Mode” to “Fixed Volume” and check “Set Max device…” and then turn up the amp volume.
The only option working fine is “Convert to PCM”. DSD playback works with Audirvana (initial dCS mode only).
DSD DoP playback works fine with my second system (Same Macbook Pro => Roon => CXN USB.
I’m running latest versions of iOS, OSX (remotes). the Macbook has Roon Core and remote.
Can’t figure out what i’m doing wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Did you follow these instructions:

For a Mac®with OS X Apple®computers do not require the installation of drivers to use the USB input.
Connect the USB cable (included in the Halo Integrated carton) to your Mac computer and then turn on the Halo Integrated. Next you will need to ensure that the Halo Integrated is selected as the computer’s default audio output device. Follow these instructions to assign the Halo Integrated as the default audio device:
1.Go to the Apple menu
2.Select “System Preferences”
3.Select “Sound” from the Hardware menu
4.Select the “Output” tab
5.Select “PARASOUND-Digital Audio”in the Sounds menu
6.Close the Sounds menu

Playing Music from your Computer once initial setup is complete your Halo Integrated will be ready for use with your PC or Mac.
Press the USB button on the Halo Integrated’s remote control or rotate the Halo Integrated’s Input select knob until the blue USB indicator is illuminated.
Simply start playing any music on your computer and it will be sent to the Halo Integrated via the USB cable. Any sound that you would normally hear through
your computer speakers will be heard through the Halo Integrated and your accompanying audio system.

Note: For the highest quality sound playback we recommend leaving the computer application’s volume control at 100%. Then use the volume control on your
Halo Integrated to set the listening level.

yes i did follow those steps! It’s not like any music is playing. the problem is only with DSD files (any format).

Hi @Julio ---- Thank you for the report and sharing your observation(s) with us. The feedback is appreciated!

Moving forward, could you please provide me with a screenshot of not only the signal path leaving Roon when you are noticing this behavior, but also the device settings you are using with the Parasound Halo DAC in the application as well.

-Eric

Hi @Eric thanks for reaching out. Please see attached.

and when playing DSD

Hi Julio,

We’ve talked to Parasound about this in the past, but we weren’t able to find a resolution.

We will reach out to them again, but have you spoken with them?