Parasound Halo: DSD only works when converted to PCM?

Ok, thanks for checking. Wish it could have been something so easy! Good luck!!!

-mike

Thank you.

I started the thread long ago, but have since moved to a separate DSD capable DAC (still use and love the paramount as an amp). In my experience, the problem is somewhere in the combo of the halo and roon. The halo plays DSDs fine with jriver, etc.

I think you are right Iā€™ve tried about everything now. Still love the amp. I hope Iā€™d read your thread before posting my support request. Iā€™ll just live without Native DSD or DoP. Thanks for all.

Hi Julio,

Iā€™m using the PS Audio DirectStream Jr. Balanced cables into the Haloā€¦a costly step up, but a dream come true.

-Jeff

julio!
you saidThe only option working fine is ā€œConvert to PCMā€. DSD playback works with Audirvana (initial dCS mode only).
DSD DoP playback works fine with my second system (Same Macbook Pro => Roon => CXN USB.
:

I too have the cxn, i didnt know that the cxn can use dop??
until i tried! it seems to work fine.
do you think dop on cxn is identical to dsd native?
iam new to the world of hifi., i know the cxn can play dsd 64 , cambridge said that it downsamples the dsd file to 176 just wondering if dop is the same has what the cxn is doing nativily

Hi Terry, I no longer have the CXN but I donā€™t remember noticing any difference between playing DSD through USB or in Roon. Cheers

I have Supremo and Hugo2 both work excellent natively, but not with Roon.

I have supremo and Hugo2 with iMac5K, the same situation like all of yours. Only hiss sound heard by DOP, unless turn on PCM conversion.

I bought Poly and Mojo, started with WiFi network. Amazingly, they work perfectly with Roon with DSD file without PCM conversion.

Just I donā€™t know why the DAC-USB connection just doesnā€™t work with Roon.

Are there any community members who successfully play native DSD files with the Parasound HINT 6?

1 Like

Hi Robert,

I gave up. I have the prior Halo Integrated, not the newer HINT 6, and could never get it working well. Iā€™m using a PS Audio DirectStream Jr with the Halo and itā€™s awesome for DSD through Roon.

So not really an answer, or helpful, but if youā€™re collecting data, nope.

1 Like

JeffN,
I have the same issue with HINT 1. Native DSD is not even in the menu option. DoP provides an output, but frankly it sounds poor. The more of us who insist on a driver update from Parasound, the more likely they may work with Roon for a fix. I sent them all the details in an email today, but told them about it on the phone a few weeks back. I donā€™t have many DSD tracks in my library, but it is supposed to work native and they should fix it.
Thanks,
Jack

1 Like

I too have a Parasound HINT with the same problem, but connected directly to the usb output of my Nucleus! Elsewhere, I have a Klipsch Heritage headphone amplifier that plays the same DSD files just fine. No help from Parasound.

The HINT 1 driver is not ASIO when used with Roon. An ASIO driver is required to run DSD native with the HINT. I followed the Parasound instructions to enable ASIO and was unsuccessful, they offered little help. My Roon core will convert the DSD to 384KHz PCM, so I donā€™t see it as a bug deal. I donā€™t plan to add any DSD to my library, it just seems to cause complications and really not add a lot of fidelity that I can detect. Love my Parasound amp though.

Yes I think I did!
After many hours of error and trial, I could play DSD on my Parasound HALO integrated with Foobar2000 and the Parasound ASIO driver.

Also seem to work without DoP

Did you have any success?

No, unfortunately not. I tried with an RPi streamer running VitOS and a Sonore opticalRendu. Neither was able to pass DSD files through the HINT 6.

I have a P6 (the Halo Preamp) but I would assume it has the same DAC stageā€¦ Plays DSD (DoP) with a Pi running Ropiee, an Sparky USBridge running Volumio, a NUC running Roon Bridge on Linux and a Macbook running Roon. Neither of the above require drivers, so I would assume its either a driver issue or a hardware issue.