Periodic Disconnect from USB DACs in ARC

Roon Core Machine

MOCK with Core i5 6500 and 8 GB RAM and SSD.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ubiquity UniFi WAP, hardwired Core

Connected Audio Devices

Pixel 7 Pro connected to ifi Hip DAC

Number of Tracks in Library

16k tracks

Description of Issue

Every 20-60 seconds while playing ARC with my USB DAC, the music stops and I see the following error.

I initially thought my cable was faulty, so I bought a brand new one from ifi to see if it fixed the problem. It did not. The issue occurs even when the phone and DAC are motionless, so it’s not a physically loose connection. It also “reconnects” after just a second, and I see this message.

I tested with USB Audio Player Pro and satisfied myself after several minutes that UAPP was not going to randomly disconnect. I did once see a similar issue with the Pixel 7 Pro that affected all DACs with all apps. The DAC would disconnect whenever the screen turned off, but Google fixed this well documented issue with a patch.

I tried uninstalling UAPP to see if that was causing a conflict, but no use.

ARC is totally stable over Bluetooth.

Any advice?

1 Like

Ugh, this does not bode well: Reddit - Dive into anything

They’re saying UAPP works because it was patched to accommodate Google’s pixel update. So um… this is awkward. I hate to be a nag, but maybe you can look into updating ARC to hit this moving target?

Hi @Jonathan_Black,

Thank you for the report. Note that there is a bug with USB DACs on Android in ARC that the team has an active ticket to address: Roon ARC Build 182 Crashing with Certain USB DACs on Android [Investigating]

Our QA team is investigating an issue with the iFi Hip DAC - unfortunately, it appears your symptoms might be consistent. Are you able to confirm the following?

1. Do you have any other apps open when this occurs?
  2. Do you encounter this with different file types and content sources (ie. local files, streaming files, etc.)?
  3. Do you have any DSP applied in MUSE when this occurs?

The team will follow up once we have a deeper look, and we’re working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible.

1 Like

I swiped away all the apps in my app switcher to prevent them from running in the background as much as possible. I actually uninstalled UAPP just in case. I disabled all Muse features, disabled volume leveling and headroom management. Then, I tried that setup with Qobuz streamed files, then local files streamed from my core, and then a file that was downloaded to my phone in ARC. None of these interventions changed the behavior.

I tried another USB DAC, a Fiio BTR5, and found it was stable and worked perfectly in USB mode.

I have also observed that the Hip DAC seems to work reliably if it doesn’t have exclusive control, but then all the audio is resampled to 48khz and android system sounds are mixed into the music, so that’s not great. If I can’t properly use the Hip DAC losslessly, I’ll just use my BTR5 in Bluetooth mode.

I also tried firing up my old OnePlus 7 Pro to see if I’d get a different result. After everything updated, the glitches were WORSE. Once the Hip DAC took over the audio output, ARC was just a black screen. Couldn’t do anything. Even weirder, my OnePlus 7 Pro couldn’t even run ARC with the Brt5 over USB. At that point, I put the OnePlus back in the drawer.

I have the exact same issue with FIIO KA5.
It works fine with UAPP. Latest version 1.0.39 100192 Pixel 6 Pro Android 13 June update

2 Likes

Hello from Germany, I have the same problems with my Fiio Ka1 usb DAC. Problem came when using ARC in HiRes. Tidal and Qobuz App works fine in HiRes.

1 Like

What phone are you using? Do you have any other USB DACs to test? Maybe a cheap dongle?

Hi, when using an inexpensive ESR Adapter, roon ARC is freezing immediately! I’ve just tried the Beta Version, without success.

Hi @Thomas_Ankner,

Did you try the EarlyAccess release we just posted here: Roon 2.0 Build 1297 and ARC Build 200 is Live! - #2? Or are you referring to a previous build?

We’ve included improvements to Android USB DAC issues on the most recent release and we are calibrating the fix.

@Jonathan_Black, please also try installing the Early Access version.

You can read more details here: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-arc-build-182-crashing-with-certain-usb-dacs-on-android-investigating/245237/35

iFi DACs have a separate and potentially subsidiary issue that you’re experiencing here. We have a separate tracked ticket - keep in mind EarlyAccess may not fully resolve your issue, but it may improve it, and it will help us further resolve the problem. Your participation is optional but much appreciated.

Thanks for the link! I installed the early access APK but I’m afraid it hasn’t made a difference for the Hip DAC.

Thanks for the update @Jonathan_Black, I’ll pass this info along to QA and we’ll keep you updated on the progress of the ticket specific to your issue. We’re sorry to hear you’re still in the same position for now, but we’ll post here again soon.

I’ve installed Roon Arc 1.0.39 Build 100200 : Same issue and worse now it randomly exit application in addition to error popup.

And same issue with Topping G5 DAC :frowning:

Hi @zeb,

Thank you for the info. We’ll pass this information along to QA.

It sounds like you might not have updated your Core to the #earlyaccess branch as well, which can trigger sync errors in ARC. If ARC is on the beta #earlyaccess branch, please also follow these instructions to move your Core:

I’m on early access no sync error on my side only USB issue and with latest early version i’ve had an exit of the application during playback. I hope it will be fully fixed soon.
So to sumup:
Pixel 6 Pro Android 13 June update:

• FIIO KA5: not working with periodic USB error
  • Topping G5 : not working with periodic USB error

Hi @zeb and all,

We’re testing a fix internally for the USB driver issue - ARC is failing to recognize the capabilities of several USB DACs, resulting in the periodic failure you’re encountering.

FiiO and Topping units are known to cause this periodic USB driver failure at the moment. There are other DACs. We will be merging threads here to track and will keep you up to date as our efforts to fix this progress through the pipeline.

Thank you for your patience. We understand this is a key-feature block for ARC without a reliable workaround. It’s a high priority for the team.

1 Like

It’s not a complete application crash/failure. Music playback halts, but ARC does not shutdown, and I see a “Error communicating with USB DAC” message in a red banner for a moment, then the prompt appears to reauthorize ARC to use the Mojo 2.

1 Like

I just gave ARC 1.0, B200 a try on my Google Pixel 7 Pro. Unfortunately, the USB issue seems to be worse. I can only play for a few seconds before ARC reports that it list connection to the DAC.

hello the dac is the TempoTec Sonata HD PRO