Periodic Disconnect from USB DACs in ARC

Hi @zeb,

Since you’re also experiencing crashing, which is a separate tracked issue with USB drivers, I wanted to alert you to this staff post and a potential workaround: Roon ARC Build 182 Crashing with Certain USB DACs on Android [Investigating]

@Thomas_Ankner,

Please let us know if you are also experiencing crashing in ARC with USB DACs, and not just an error popup regarding device connection.

@David_Snyder,

This issue is potentially device-specific and we want to make sure our list is exhaustive. Can you confirm the particular USB DAC with which you encounter the connectivity popup?

Lastly, for everyone:

Does disabling the USB Driver change these symptoms? We’ll be pulling diagnostics to see how the issue manifests per-device, so if you have it within you to reproduce the error once or twice, please let us know and share an approximate timestamp. Thank you for your help!

1 Like

Yes. Playback is stable, but no longer bit perfect thanks to the 48khz Android mixer.

1 Like

Roon Core Machine

Synology Diskstation 218+
10gb RAM

Networking Gear & Setup Details

ORBI wifi 6 Mesh Router

Connected Audio Devices

Multiple devices including:
Sonus Faber Omnia
Chromecast Audio
Astel and Kern HC2

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I have been using ARC with Astel and Kern HC2 for many months with no issues, but within last 2 weeks, it keeps crashing as soon as I attach the DAC to the USB port on my phone and when enabling USB driver on the app.

The DAC is working flawlessly otherwise with lossless support when I use its own application with other streaming services such as Apple Music and Qobuz.

I never had this issue with ARC and only started last few days, so maybe something to do with app updates?!

BTW, I uninstalled, reinstalled, cleared the cash… with no success.

I appreciate if you could assist.
Thanks

Unfortunately, the problem was not solved last update despite the team’s declaration.

I have exactly the same since two software releases. Arc is useless for AK HC2. And it is, after all, a roon-compatible device:) Currently the usb DAC function on the Pixel 7 does not work. When I try to launch it either restarts the applications or launches bypassing the AK dongle.

After introducing the USB DAC option with the first version it worked Fine.

Sadness.

Yes, it was working fine. I wish I could install the older ARC versions till they fix this. Sorry that you have a same problem.

Hi everyone,

To clarify, there are two issues affecting USB DACs, both of which are ticketed and in the process of being resolved by ARC development:

1. A USB Driver issue, resulting in a cyclical popup error when certain USB DACs are connected. This prevents playback with USB DACs. It’s frustrating. We haven’t released a solution for this yet in #earlyaccess or the public build, but it’s obviously a top priority.
  2. A fatal crash in ARC upon connecting certain USB DACs. This affects Android phones and USB DACs more broadly. This is the issue for which we released a fix in #earlyaccess last release, and for which we’re currently testing a more complete fix in #earlyaccess right now with this week’s release.

Since you’re experiencing issue #1, but not issue #2, the unfortunate reality is that there’s no current workaround other than reverting to lower-quality playback via wireless endpoints or system output on the Android device. It’s a feature-killing bug for users who rely on the expanded DAC capabilities we so recently introduced.

The silver lining here is that we introduced a regression with USB DACs accidentally as part of a vast project to improve ARC from the inside out. When we fix this - which we will do as fast as possible - you should see broader improvements to ARC as well.

Thank you for your patience. This issue has our attention.

Hello Conner, with the FIIO KA1 connected to my Google 7 Pro the connection get lost. This happened, when the Beta USB driver for lossless audio is active. Before that works fine. Hope :pray: you find a solution. Greetings

1 Like

FWIW, I have a new FiiO KA5 (firmware 1.00) on a Fairphone 4 (Android 12) and no issues whatsoever

The 1.00 firmware was what was preinstalled, have now found the time to update to the current 1.30, I’ll see on the weekend if it breaks now :slight_smile:

1 Like

I played for a good 30-45 minutes with the KA5 and the 1.30 firmware - no issues at all

I have the same issue with pixel 6 pro and fiio ka5.

Hi everyone,

For those of you on Pixel phones:

• Are you on the latest Pixel software? Pixel 6, Pixel 6 Pro, Pixel 6a, Pixel 7, and Pixel 7 Pro have received security patches and other updates from Google within the last year that may be involved with this issue.

• If you feel you have a level of Android/Pixel mastery, there is a potential workaround by disabling automatic USB audio routing in Developer mode. You can find instructions in this article. Please let us know if you do give this a try: [Tips & Tricks] What is the purpose of Disable USB audio routing in | HONOR CLUB (UK)

Lastly, any users who are not on a Pixel device, please respond here with the affected model of phone and DAC. We’ve deduced that this issue is specific to Pixel devices; users on Samsung, OneNord, or other Android phones are likely encountering a separate issue with a different causal mechanism.

Thank you all for your ongoing patience. We don’t have a precise timeline yet, but we’re making progress and this remains a top priority.

2 Likes

Just disabled usb audio routing in developer options so I will give it a go and report back.

1 Like

Been playing for 20 mins or so and it all seems to be going ok. Thank you for the help.

1 Like

I’ve changed the setting and now it works fine :partying_face: thanks for your help

I turned this on, and now everything appears to be fine!

Hi, I reported this few months ago about my Astel and Kern HC2, and Samsung Galaxy Fold 3, I did disable the usb routing, still no success :sob:

Disabling USB audio routing in Android 13 on my Pixel 7 Pro did the trick.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.