Roon ARC Build 182 Crashing with Certain USB DACs on Android [Investigating]

Roon Core Machine

Intel NUC10 running ROCK (up to date)

Connected Audio Devices

iBasso into Samsung S21U

Description of Issue

Roon ARC seems to no longer like my mobile DAC starting yesterday. It opens and then crashes about 2 seconds later with my iBasso plugged in. ARC runs fine through my phone, so its definitely a new support issue with Roon/iBasso.

Hi, @audiom3, thank you for your report. Could you, please, try disabling the USB Driver option in settings and then try connecting your iBasso device once again?

Thanks!

Ivan

Hi Ivan. Yes it works when I disable the Roon USB driver but then I get the crappy Android conversion (48kHz). Thank you.

Any update to this issue? It sucks getting a lossy conversion after it (Roon USB) worked for months prior.

Hi, @audiom3, sorry for the delayed response. Our dev team is looking into this issue.

Apologies for the trouble!

Ivan

Thank you, @ivan.

Roon ARC crashes every time when AK HC2 USB DAC is plugged in and hit the play button play.
In the previous version Roon ARC worked flawlessly, today I updated to build 182, it crashes immediately once I hit the playback button. The ARC is configured using USB driver. Whenever I plug in the DAC, it will prompt on the screen that it detected my DAC. I don’t understand once I hit the playback button, suddenly it crashes :pensive:

1 Like

Having the same issue from Android. Previous version was stable, 182 will crash as soon as I enable hifi usb.

I should add, I have a different DAC. USB connection was stable prior to ARC 182 update.

@brian

Can u look into this as I can’t playback ARC at all if enable USB driver. Is there anyway to revert back to previous version while you guys fix this issue?

I have exactly the same issue, using a Hidisz S8 USB-C DAC on a Samsung S23U, with USB driver enabled. As soon as I disable the USB driver in ARC, it works fine. But that of course beats the purpose. Used to work fine before latest update with Muse.

I have the same problem. My DAC is a Violectric Chronos.

We are looking into this. Downgrades are unfortunately not possible.

Hi @MusicFidelity, @Travis_Watts, @willemzout, @tsonol,

Thank you for your patience and for the diligent reports. We’re investigating and issue affecting the USB audio driver in Samsung and Pixel phones on Android 13. We have a priority ticket with our QA team . The data you’ve provided will help us pinpoint the problem in diagnostics and identify the pool of affected devices.

I’ll post updates on our progress here. Please let me know if you have any questions in the meantime; we understand you’re without a core function of ARC at the moment, but we’ve escalated our efforts and should have a fix in place soon.

1 Like

Core: Windows 10, Roon 2.0 build 1277
Home network: fully wired
ARC: 1.0 build 182
ISP: Local provider, fibre

As I wrote in the title of the thread, the application crashes every time I connect iBasso dongles, right after confirming the exclusive mode for USB audio. This applies to both my Samsung devices - smartphone and tablet. I would like to add that before the last update of the application there were no such problems.

With regards, Sławomir.

Hi, @Slawomir_Kubicz, thank you for your report. Could you, please, try disabling the USB Driver option in settings and then try connecting your iBasso device once again?

Thanks!

Ivan

ARC works fine when I don’t select exclusive mode after connecting iBasso dongles, but then ARC plays music with a green indicator. I would prefer ARC to work properly in exclusive mode.

I have the same issue. Roon Arc crashes when I connect iBasso DC06 to my android phone but works fine when no dongle is plugged in. roon Arc crushes when provided exclusive USB audio mode.
the problem does not occur when either USB Driver is deactivated or roon ARC is not granted exclusive USB audio.

Core: ROCK 1.0 (Build 258), Roon 2.0 build 1277
Home network: fully wired
RoonARC: 1.0.38 Build 100182
ISP: local provider, fibre
Android version: 12

The problem of application crashes only applies to iBasso dongles. With iFi Gryphon and Oppo HA2-SE I don’t have this problem.

1 Like

Hi, @Slawomir_Kubicz, @bucketOtrouble, sorry for the delay here. Thank you for the information, I am going to pass it to the dev team. They are investigating this issue.

Apologies for trouble!

Ivan