Roon ARC Build 182 Crashing with Certain USB DACs on Android [Investigating]

Using Pixel 7/Android 13/Mojo 2, the symptom is slightly different - after ~20 seconds, ARC reverts from lossless playback to lossy, perceiving the output device as wired headset instead of USB DAC, and the prompt reappears to enable ARC to use the USB DAC. ARC doesn’t seem to crash with this combination, as far as I can tell.

On the other hand, the “USB Audio DAC” Android App continues to be reliable and stable when used for lossless playback via the Mojo 2 as USB DAC. Appears to confirm that the issue is in ARC, related to the USB DAC driver that it uses.

This is aggravating because of how reliable ARC playback had been through the USB DAC until now. I had started taken it for granted because of reliable it was. Currently, it’s unusable with a USB DAC.

Any updates from dev? Can you confirm that this has been acknowledged as a bug yet?

It sure would be great to get access to the previous release of the app, which worked well, so we can resume using our mobile DACs to listen lossless music through Roon.

1 Like

While my Samsung S20 FE 5G is powered by Android 13 with UI version 5.1, I have Android 12 with UI version 4.1.1 on the Samsung Galaxy S6 tablet.

Having the same issue with TempoTec Sonata HD PRO , app waa working fine and now after upgrading keeps crashing when activate usb driver option :expressionless:

Same issue. With Pixel 7pro and Fiio Ka1

I have the same issue with a Khadas Tone2 Pro DAC.

Switching to the USB Audio Player PRO app on the same phone, I was unable to reproduce the issue. So I’m confident there’s no issue with the DAC or cable.

I’m happy to help with testing.

1 Like

Hi @Lee_Schneider, @Slawomir_Kubicz, @Gustavo_voigt, @Thomas_Ankner, @David_Snyder,

The EarlyAccess release we’ve just shipped contains a potential fix for the class of crash you’ve been enduring in ARC.

If you’re willing, please follow the instructions here to move your Core into the EarlyAccess (beta test group) track. There is an APK pack linked in the above instructions for installing the ARC EarlyAccess app on your phone.

You can then share your experience in the #early-access category, or in this thread. We’ll be watching closely with development to see the results and help calibrate the fix.

You can read the release notes for the EarlyAccess release here: Roon 2.0 Build 1297 and ARC Build 200 is Live!

1 Like

Thanks for the update @connor. I switched my Core to Early Access and installed the EA version of ARC on my phone. The USB DAC driver still fails after about 25-35 seconds of lossless playback over my Mojo2, with the exact same symptom as before.

Added details to help ensure I’m running the intended versions of Core and ARC:

At the top of Settings in ARC, I see this info for my Core:
Roon ARC 1.0.39
Build 100200

Near the bottom of Settings in ARC I see:
Software version RoonARC 1.0 (200)

Clarification re Core:
Version 2.0 (build 1297) earlyaccess

1 Like

I was an idiot and tried these steps. And now I can not even use ARC because on sign in, it takes me to roon/account and there is nothing to do here except change something on my account. So I back out and ARC asks me to sign in again. And it takes me to the same page. So im in an endless loop. What the hell do I need to do?

When I back out of the account page, since there is absolutely nothing I can do there, this is the error that I receive

Ok, I got in after about 30 minutes of forcing it clised and reopening it. Your app is one hot mess though, Roon. You have work to do.

Got everything working on beta and… still the same result. Crashes after a few eeconds on ARC build 200; Core build 1297.

1 Like

Hopefully we get an official response from roon , this issue is affecting a vast amount of people and is crucial for the use of roon arc. having high quality output on android is the only reason i would use roon arc …

I think I will wait for official release. My main DACs for Roon ARC are iFi Gryphon and Oppo HA-2 SE. Working without any issues. (Well, there is an issue with playback of larger files than DSD64 and 24/192, but this is a different story.)

Hi @Lee_Schneider,

To clarify, is ARC crashing entirely, or are you seeing an audio output failure message from the Android system?

If it’s the USB audio failing, but the app doesn’t terminally hang or crash, then that’s useful information for QA.

@audiom3, we’re sorry you had a frustrating experience. It sounds like your Core might have remained on the production build when you moved ARC to #earlyaccess. If this ever happens again, try uninstalling the app fully on your phone.

@Slawomir_Kubicz, if you’re not seeing any crashing, hanging, or initiation failures with USB drivers on your phone, then feel free to ignore this thread. We can investigate HiFi playback issues that you’ve reported if they are interfering with your listening flow.

@Gustavo_voigt, what USB DAC are you intending to use? Is ARC crashing when you attempt to connect to this DAC?

That’s exactly what I did (uninstall ARC from my phone). This is when the ■■■■■ show started. ARC would ask me to sign in and use my S21U’s browser to do such, and then hang up at the screen where it showed my user name and that I had a Lifetime membership. My only options in this page were to change something in my account, buy another Lifetime membership or just back out. And I obviously chose to back out and then it said an error has occured. Over and over and over again, I tried this. Yes, insanity by definition but it eventually ‘took hold’. But the beta firmware was a fail with iBasso DACs and a Samsung S21U phone. Zero difference. Hell, give me a way to kick Maze to the curb. I just want bit-perfect audio again, pleasssse.

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Periodic Disconnect from USB DACs in ARC

Thank you for the update @Lee_Schneider, @David_Snyder, @Gustavo_voigt. Frustrating, and I’m sorry you’re stuck in the same sinking boat, but our QA team will help pin down the error faster with ARC development when this info is paired with automated diagnostics.

@audiom3, thank you for the update. You’re totally in the right. However, as delicious as it might be to free your tone and vent your frustration, this is a software technical support forum with rules and regulations. The more professionally we all behave, the more efficiently I can pass useful information to development. Thank you for understanding!

1 Like

I get that sometimes issues are difficult to track down, but the hardware required to reproduce this issue should be easy to come by (reasonably modern Andriod phone plus just about any USB DAC). Did the QA team try to reproduce the issue before pushing out the last build? Given the number of reports, I tend to suspect not.

I’m happy to retest, but it would be nice to know that Roon’s QA team is testing right along with us. Thanks.

@David_Snyder you are exactly right. Judging from every single person who’s tried Roon’s ‘beta’ update, none were successful in getting a work-around.

Just to be clear @connor, there was no change whatsoever with the beta update. I plug my iBasso DC6 into my Samsung S21U, click ok for giving exclusive control and it closes ARC within 1-1.5 seconds. After another attempt, I get the Samsung warning as posted above (that says ARC does not work and needs to be updated by the designer. Sorry I lost my cool. I will do better.

1 Like