Pi4 lands - audio improvement?

Agreed - I’d be interested in seeing a proper comparison between an unadorned RPi4, an Allo USBridge and a microRendu as an ethernet to USB converter (using Roon Bridge, naturally)…

2 Likes

I should really get one and try that, but my 3B+ with WiFi in and USB out works fine. As long as I avoid shuffle play, which is prone to tickling the other darn bug.

What is that other bug?

1 Like

We shipped a workaround for the XMOS bug in 1.6 back in January.

1 Like

I missed that. I’ll try my problematic playlist again.

I’ve been using RoPiee on a RPi3B+ with the USB port connected to a PS Audio Sprout (wired
ethernet). It works well most of the time. But when playing high res files and specially DSD I sometimes get intermittent pops in the audio.
When I switched over to a RPi4 (1GB) I didn’t hear any pops on the high res music. But I only tested the RPi4 for 2 days, as I ran into other issues.
But, the two pi’s sounded that same (not counting the pops).

Does anyone here have a technical understanding of whether the 4gb model would bring any added value? Or would the 1gb be sufficient - given that the Pi3 runs Ropieee just fine with 1gb, my guess is that’s all you need in the Pi4.

Scott

1gb is more than enough.

Thanks - That’s what I thought

…another question - I’m new to Roon, actually still in my trial period but planning to keep.
As long as my integrated amp has a nice USB DAC built in and I’m using Ropieee, is there any benefit to a Roon Ready Streamer?
One thing that comes to mind could be using Roon to control volume - Is that an issue?

Thanks,
Scott

If you are happy with the sound then be happy…unless you try a better DAC then you wont know, and then it might be a slippery slope of upgrade this then that.

Without knowing your complete setup its hard to offer advice where to spend

I currently have a Blusound Powernode 2 (not 2i) in my living room - powering a pair of Zu Audio Soul Superfly , a Ropieee (USB out) as a headphone rig to a Steinberg UR12 (musician type audio interface) and a Chromecast Audio to a small powered speaker in my basement.
I also listen to vinyl through my VPI Classic (in the living room). I’m not happy with the Blusounds 3.5mm aux input for my turntable and would also like an extra input for my TV. I’ve been looking at NAD M10 and Naim Unity Atom - both Roon Ready endpoints. But, I know I could just use a Ropieee to any integrated amp with a USB DAC input.
My question, is if I would be losing any functionality using Ropieee to a USB input vs say, the NAD M10.

Thanks,
Scott

you might invest in a better power supply and USB filter for the RPi. i’ve used the iFi iPower, and iUSB, $50 each, to excellent effect.

I have done a lot of testing with the PecanPi DAC on both Pi3 and Pi4.

The audio performance is identical on both. Hence i recommend to my customers to user a 3B with the PecanPi because the 4 generates a lot of unwanted heat.