Playback issues with ifi DAC

Can someone help me out? Im using an ifi usb dac. Output from Apple MacBook to the IFi dac using a usb connection. From the dac using coaxial to a Sony receiver and no sound?

Thanks Steve

Hey @Steve_Polley — Thanks for reaching out! I moved your post to a new thread so we can more easily track this and anyone who has similar issues can more easily find solutions.

To start, may I kindly ask that you please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

So we can gain some greater insight into what you’re experiencing, please verify the following:

• Are you able to play to this DAC outside of Roon without issue?
  • Is this behavior happening with all endpoints or just this one?
  • Have you tried power cycling your Core machine?

Thanks!
Dylan

I have a MacBook Pro connected to an IFi dac via a usb connection. From the dac I have a coaxial out to my Sony receiver with no sound? The dac works great via the analog out but again does not work with the coaxial output from the dac???

Thanks, Steve

Steve, are you using the RCA output, L + R? If so, have you used the RCA ok in the past ok? Does the IFI have 3.5mm output you could test?

The reason I ask is that I have an IFI dac and cannot get the coax outputs to work. I have always used the 3.5mm output so it’s not a huge problem, but wondered if it’s an IFI issue?

My iFi dac (iFi nano) does not have a 3.5mm output. I currently use the usb from the Mac to the iFi dac and then RCA analog cables out from the iFi to my amp and works great. Using the usb to the iFi dac and then the coaxial out to the amp does not work?? The same thing goes with my Nuprime uDSD dac… usb from Mac to Nuprime and then coaxial output to amp with no sound??

Hey @Steve_Polley,

Are you able to play to this DAC outside of Roon and have this configuration work?

Hej
Om du har laddat senaste firmware till din DAC som stöder MQA uppspelning då blir coaxial utgången annullerat på IFi Nano.

Thanks for the info, @IVAN_VALENCIA!

As mentioned above by Ivan, a recent firmware update that supports MQA playback has disabled the coaxial output. I found a discussion about this here.

@Steve_Polley, you may want to check the firmware on your device and see if that may be what is occurring here.

Thanks,
Dylan

1 Like