Playback stuttering on Android

Hi @Marco_Stritmatter,

Thank you for your report here.

Yes, we are aware of similar reports on LG V30 but yours is the first report I’ve seen for Samsung Galaxy S9. We recently released the first part of our Android changes with build 416: (Roon 1.6 (Build 416) Is Live!) and this release addressed Android system-level behavior. We are now working on the next step, which is addressing Android playback behavior.

It is not possible to provide exact dates of when this work will be completed, new builds take time to develop and thoroughly test, but do know that the changes are in the dev team’s queue and we are hoping of addressing these issues as soon as we can.

I would like to make sure that the dev team has some useful information from your report in case it differs from what they’re working on, can I please ask you to reproduce this issue once more and then note the exact local time & date which you experience it? E.g. 5:03PM on 4/29/19?

Once this timestamp information has been received, I can then enable diagnostics mode for your account and submit the logs from your Galaxy to the current Android investigation.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi @noris
There is no problem to reproduce as this happens every time using Roon on the Mobile.
here the requested Data:
exact local time: 9:55PM date: 04/29/19

best regards
Marco

PS: If it helps: i also have a Galaxy S9 available, where i could try to reproduce the problem

I have had the same issue on android and solved it by turning on resampling. Just set resampling to 48khz for the android endpoint.

1 Like

Definitly going to check that out tonight

Did try with 48kHz but wasn’t any better also when reducing the resolution to 16bit
Tested also with my S9 with same results…
Timestamp: 05/02/19 10:18PM

@noris: FYI

Hmm. to bad. It did work for me on a Samsung galaxy a3 with android 6, and a Sony experia compact with android 9. Both had 's stottering issue when in background. Both solved by resampling

Hi @Marco_Stritmatter,

Sorry to that re-sampling hasn’t helped here. I have enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action will do is next time your Android device is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis.

Once these are received, I will be adding them to QA’s investigation into this issue but do take note, as I mentioned before this is a work in progress and it may be some time before a new version of Roon is released that addresses this issue. Thank you in advance for your patience while we work to resolve this behavior.

– Noris

Hello – I have the same problem with Roon Remote on a Samsung Galaxy S10, whenever I’m using my phone to play music. Everything works when the screen is on.

a) As soon as the screen turns off, the stuttering starts. Stuttering stops as soon as the screen is on.
b) If the screen is on, but Roon is not the current active application, stuttering starts after +/- 30 seconds. It stops when Roon Remote is brought back as the active application.

I do not have energy savings enabled, I have disabled battery optimization for Roon, my WiFi is rock solid, and I have no issue with native Qobuz or Spotify.

Any idea is much appreciated, and happy to perform any test as needed.

Thanks,
e.

Hi @Emmanuel_Tychon,

Thanks for the additional report here. As I previously mentioned, we are aware of some issue surrounding Roon on Android and we are currently in the process of re-writing the Android App. This is a work in progress by the dev team and as soon as there is any new info to share we will make an update post. Thanks in advance for your patience here while we further improve our Android experience!

– Noris

I’m having the exact same issue with Pixel 3 XL.

Evan

Hi @noris, any news on that, still having the same problem with all Android devices.

best regards
Marco

Hi @Marco_Stritmatter,

Thanks for the ping here. I do not have any new updates to share at this time. The upcoming release is still in development. I can’t comment on when it it will be published, but do feel free to keep a close eye on the Release Notes Section of this site for when it goes live. Thanks!

Is there any update on this issue?

I’ve just started my free trial and am having the same problem on my Galaxy S10. It basically makes Roon useless to me, since listening to music with Roon minimized/in the background is a necessary function for me (an I guess most other users).

I’m thinking if it isn’t fixed by the time my free trial runs out, I have no way of eventually testing the app before purchasing and making an educated decision as to whether I should switch to Roon when you finally do fix it.

You can do another trial when the time comes. They are quite accommodating in that respect. Just contact support and ask the question.

Hi @Graig_Earle,

There is no new update to share at this time, we are still working on our Android infrastructure but unfortunately, I can’t specify a timeline of when it will be published.

We want to make sure our users have a great trial experience, so after the new Android build is released (and an announcement is made in our Release Notes Section), do feel free to reach out to me or one of the other support staff members and we can take a look at your trial status.

Thanks!

Hi @noris Noris. Looks like the new update might solve my previous problems. Is it possible for me to get a new trial to check it out?

Thanks

I can confirm, i had tested yesterday after updating and the problem did not occur.

1 Like

@Graig_Earle - I’ve followed up via private message.

1 Like

We’ve recently released Roon 1.7 (Build 500) which includes changes that should improve this behavior. Please give it this a try and let us know how it goes!

You can read the full release notes here:

Thanks,
The Team at Roon Labs

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.