Roon Server Machine

Nucleus
Windows 10 and iPhone remotes

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Meridian 218

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

1 in 4 ish startups. Plays for between 30 secs and 3 minutes and then just stops.
No change in the GUI.
Quit and relaunch fixes it.
Is it possible to roll back (and then never update again)?.

It may help if you tell us which WiFi you are using and the complete system description

2 Likes

Update: it can go 30 mins. before it stops.
Specifically what else to you need?
Front end surely irrelevant at it happens whether using phone or desktop.
Core on Nucleus
Usually streaming TIDAL not sure if it happens with local data.
Plusnet router
TPLink switch
Meridian 218 zone controller into Meridian G68 into Meridian 8000s
NEVER happened before the update.

Clue
The last time it happened I was playing music locally saved on a Melco M1 and I noticed the swirly icon in the top right and it said was scanning and adding tracks to my library.

Just another user here, having to blow your bubble, Iā€™m afraid.
You could of course download and keep the current versions yourself, but Roon doesnā€™t keep old versions available.
Since Roonā€™s functionalities rely heavily on online servers whoā€™s code constantly evolves, keeping old versions will eventually break your system and no one will be there to help you out.

You could still revert to 1.8 legacy (search for instructions on the forum) but it canā€™t be started with a current version database backup, doesnā€™t get any further development and may also become non-functional at a certain point in the future.

As a tip, try to keep your set-up straight and simple, so better attach a USB disk with your music to your nucleus instead since it reduces complexity and additional network traffic from and to it.

Can you fit 2000 albums on a USB stick? And the dealer said the Melco achieved much better quality than SSDs

Wouldnā€™t use a stick but a SSDā€¦

If you want to believe your dealer, so be itā€¦

Good luck

1 Like

Surely a stick is a Solid State Device. And the Melco plugs in the same hole as a USB disk.

He was shining you on, I imagine. Higher profit margins on the Melco.

Is this the N1? And you are connecting it via USB? Or Ethernet?

How is the Nucleus connected to the router ?

Via a TP-Link switch which it shares with the Nucleus and the Melco

Bill: Sorry, yes itā€™s ethernet not USB. Logically (and I have a degree in Theoretical Physics) it seemed to me that a solid state device should out-perform something which has to move, but Iā€™m inclined to trust my dealer. Can you point me at some data that might convince me otherwise.

Bill/Marin ā€¦ and to be clear - itā€™s music quality trumps all!

Marin: Your last paragraph ā€˜As a tipā€¦ā€™ Are you saying do this instead of the Melco? Do you think it would improve music quality? (I can imagine it would be more reliable). I like simplicity - I liked it when I had a CD player straight into Meridian DSPs via a passive volume control!

John, itā€™s data at that point and has nothing to do with sound quality, actually.

Iā€™m not going to argue with you any further if you insist on wanting to believe anecdotal, rather than factual evidence.

Enjoy whatever it is you enjoy!
peace

1 Like

Again, nothing to do with sound quality, but reliability of data transfer.
You are having problems with that and thatā€™s what I was trying to tackle.
EDIT:
Yes, I meant instead of the Melco.

A USB ā€œStickā€ - aka a USB Flash Drive is indeed a solid state device, but itā€™s not the same technology as a Solid State Drive, which is what is being suggested here.

With a Nucleus it is possible to store local music either on an internal 2.5" SSD (capacities of up to 8TB, and shortly 16TB are available), or on a USB SSD attached to the Nucleus.

Your Melco N1 also has an SSD fitted in it, apparently it is a ā€œspecially-selected SSDā€ according to the product page.

Getting back to the issue at hand, if the playback ceasing happens with both Tidal and locally-stored albums, then this could be a network-related issue. Does the same issue occur when you play to a Zone set up on your Windows 10 PC, or is it only when you use the Meridian Zone?

I have only the Roon Server (I presume thatā€™s the nucleus). Again this issue didnā€™t exist before the update.

You completely misunderstand me. Iā€™m not arguing - Iā€™m trying to understand. My request for data is precisely to avoid believing anecdote.

Ah, Iā€™m afraid I took your ā€œplugs in the same holeā€ all too literally, considering the differences between USB-A, USB-B, and RJ45 sockets and plugs! :smile: I was confused.

As to rotating versus solid-state, I generally agree, but as @Marin_Weigel says, at this point in the audio chain, itā€™s just data, and any appliance which can serve data reliably will do. A $170 4TB WD My Cloud Home would probably work as well.

When I see something that costs too much for its functionality, I always wonder whether, in the process of pursuing the price-no-object consumer, they may have neglected other salient design and manufacturing issues. The luxury market in general suffers from a surfeit of marketing and a paucity of quality assurance testing.