Popping when playing new music

I’m told that the popping I get before every music album on digital is from my DAC (Auralic Vega G2) “opening” every time I change music formats, from, say, 24/96 to DSD, for instance. I hope that makes sense. I’m also told that I should be able to go into Roon settings and “shut down” the popping at the beginning of each album of music. Does this make sense? And can someone guide me to the correct setting?

Thanks.

Rick McQuiston

Try using some resync delay.

What’s a good place to start?

Hi @rickcarl ---- Thank you for the post. Just to piggy back on @DrTone’s suggestion a bit :innocent:

The “resync delay” feature can be found by going into the “audio” tab then clicking the “gear icon” next to the desired zone and selecting “device setup”. In the “device setup” window you will see a tab called “general” and this is where you will find the “resync delay”.

Let us know how it goes!
-Eric

Thanks, Eric. I’ve been playing with the resync delay and I’ve got it up to a 3 second delay and I still get popping. Is that unusual? I can still increase the time, but 3 seconds would seem to be enough time for the DAC to switch file formats but I’ll keep playing with it.

In the meantime, I’m taking the DAC in today to have it checked over to make sure it’s not hardware related.

I’ll let you know how it goes. In the meantime has anybody else out there had this problem?

Are you using Direct DSD mode or DSD DOP?

I had a G2 Vega on demo and had no popping when playing a variety of different formats.

I’m not sure, but I think Direct DSD. How do I find out for sure?

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Audio_Setup_Basics#DSD_Playback_Strategy

If set to Native try DSD over PCM instead.

Hi @rickcarl ---- Thank you for the follow up, very appreciated!

Continuing forward, I wanted to touch base and see if you had a chance to test with DoP (i.e DSD over PCM) enabled in your “playback” settings as suggested in Jeff’s post above. If so, what was the experience like?

Furthermore, would you kindly please provide me with a screenshot of your Signal path when you are noticing the “popping” at the start of playback.

-Eric

Eric,

I haven’t had a chance to test the DoP idea because the Auralic Vega G2 DAC is being checked out to make sure it’s not a hardware issue (which I don’t think it is). Sounds like some kind of conflict with Roon and the DAC, which is a new model. Still waiting to hear. I’ll send a screenshot when I get it back.

Rick

1 Like

Eric,

I finally got my Vega G2 back–they replaced all the internals just to make sure the popping wasn’t hardware related–and it still pops, although I noticed it didn’t pop when going from two albums with the same rate. I’ll try the DoP setting tonight to see if that’s it. I’ll let you know. Thanks for all the feedback.

-Rick

Eric,

By the way the CEO of Auralic told me that using the resync delay on the Vega G2 shouldn’t be necessary, so I’m trying to solve this without touching that setting.

-Rick

Eric,

Here’s the screenshot you asked for. It’s the third one. I’m not sure where I find DSD over PCM in Playback. I’ve included two other screenshots to show what I’ve got in Roon settings right now. I’m not sure what I need to change. Thanks again.

Hi @rickcarl ----- Thank you for touching base with me and providing the requested feedback. The updated is appreciated!

The DoP setting can be found in the “playback” tab under the “DSD Playback Strategy” field. This can be found by going into the “audio” tab then clicking the “gear icon” next to the desired zone and selecting “device setup”.

-Eric

Eric,

There is no DSD Playback Strategy field. If I go the audio tab, then click the gear icon and select device setup, here’s what I get:

Can you please post a screenshot of your Settings > Audio tab (without the Device Setup window above)?

I would like to see all the available outputs.

Cheers, Greg

Greg,

So, your Auralic DAC is attached via USB to your Mac running as a Remote?

I would have thought there would be an Output shown for the Auralic Vega, but it appears you’re running it via System Output.

Try and Enable Built-In Output and then check the Playback Settings. See if going through this Output helps with the popping.

Cheers, Greg

1 Like

Greg,

It does output thru the Vega. See the screenshot here. The previous screenshot was without the system turned on.