Popping when playing new music

Hi Rick,

How is the unit connected to your Roon system? Is it via network or USB attached to your Mac?

I would rename one of those Outputs. It can get confusing. Maybe the System Output to Front Room USB or something.

Cheers, Greg

Greg,

It’s via network.

But getting back to my popping problem, where is the DoP setting? Where do I find that? How do I test that. This is getting very frustrating for me because I’m a novice. I’ve tested all the hardware. It’s gotta be software related, correct? I’m guessing it’s Roon, right? What else could it be?

Rick

Hey Rick,

Sorry for being long winded about this, I was just confused because when you were looking for DSD Strategy above, you clicked the gears icon next to System Output and not the Networked Vega.

Here’s your screenshot from above.

That’s why I suggested renaming on of the outputs. I wasn’t sure which zone you were using. Maybe Disable the System Output.

Anyway, go to Settings > Audio and click the gears icon next to the Networked Vega and select Device Setup. See if the DSD Strategy is under the Playback tab.

Cheers, Greg

Hi @rickcarl ---- I want to chime in here as I can see Greg is trying to get you on the right path with your setup (thank you @Greg) and I think there is some general confusion occurring that I would like to clear up so we can get you to where you need to be. Please allow me to explain further.

You noted in your response to me that you did not see the “DSD Playback Strategy” as an available field in the “playback” tab. So as a means to understand HOW you are communicating with the device Greg asked to see you storage tab to which you posted the following screenshot:

Based on this image it appears that you are playing to the device via the “system output” as there are no other zones enabled. Which is why Greg had suggested using the “built-in output” as the “DSD Playback Strategy” field may have not been an option in “system output”.

In your follow up, you posted the following screenshot that shows the Vega_G2 being listed as a “networked” zone that is also being given the name “front room”:

Continuing forward, I would recommend the following…

• Please assign a different name to your zones to avoid any further confusion. I would recommend leaving the “networked - Auralic Vega_G2” zone named as “front room” and the “system output” zone named as “system output”.

• Please first define how the G2 is being communicated with. Is it mounted to the computer via USB or are you using it as a network endpoint as highlighted in your most recent screenshot?

• As before, the DoP setting can be found in the “playback” tab under the “DSD Playback Strategy” field. This can be found by going into the “audio” tab then clicking the “gear icon” next to the desired zone and selecting “device setup”. In this case you are going to want to click the gear next to the “networked - Auralic Vega_G2” zone.

Additionally…
I think it is important to point out that the VEGA_G2 is an uncertified Roon device, which is why you are seeing that warning message underneath the name. The reason I am bringing this up because there maybe some limitations here with how the unit works with Roon being that it has not been certified by our tech/QA team yet. I also checked our “partner device matrix” and can see that the G2 is not listed.

I have placed a feedback request with team to see where they stand with device and would recommend conducting the test listed above (i.e using “DoP”) and sharing what the results are. Depending on the outcome of that test you may want to consider testing with the device mounted to the computer via USB.

-Eric

Greg,

It isn’t. I get the same window with the same tabs.

Thanks for the advice on the outputs and on the Vega being uncertified. I will share my results.

Rick

Eric,

That’s for all the info. Very interesting. I didn’t realize that the Vega may not be compatible quite yet with Roon. Thanks for pointing that out. Maybe that’s the main problem?

I’ve changed the naming of the zones so that it’s less confusing.

But I still can’t find the DoP setting. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. And I have the latest Roon version. I’d like to test it to see if that works.

Please let me know.

Thanks again.

Rick McQuiston

Hi @rickcarl ----- Thank you for touching base with me, very appreciated!

Once the device becomes certified that warning message will not be present in Roon, as to be expected. However what I think is important to point out, and this was part of the feedback I got from the tech team, is that experience might not be error free while the unit is still uncertified. And as such, this isn’t something we are really able to support at this time.

The “priority” on getting the G2 certified is in Auralic’s hands and If you haven’t already, I might consider contacting them to see where they are in the process.

-Eric

2 posts were split to a new topic: Node 2i popping most of the time

Hi Rick,
I have the same problem with vega g2.1 as yours. It will create a pop sound when I switch between 24 bit file to 16 bit or DSD file. Do you solve your problem eventually?
Best,
Jian Gao

Some DC-coupled DAC output stages carry a slight offset, which is not really problematic per se, but you notice a pop-sound every time the output relay mutes/unmutes during sample rate changes, or on power up/down.

That’s at least what happens with my DAC which is directly connected to the amp.
Fortunately, the offset is so low in value that the pop is not threatening at all but just noticeable.

Interesting. I just wonder if I can add a transport like an auralic aries g2.1 to solve the problem by using the Llink.

Hey @Jian_Gao,

Thanks so much for sharing that you’ve experienced similar symptoms as those posted on this thread. I’m sorry it took us this long to see your post…:pleading_face:

I was wondering if the popping sound is still an issue? We’d love to help :nerd_face:

It’s still an issue when Roon is connected with Vega G2.1 via USB. Whenever music is paused on Roon, Vega will very soon revert to no input and at that moment the pop occurs.

I have tried headroom management, resync delay, etc. Resync delay puts off the popping noise only.

I have also tried turning output protection on and off and increased the buffer to the max of 500ms on Vega to see if there’s any difference. All to no avail.

Vega works stably only when connecting with Roon via network.