Pops and buzzes

Did you do this by any chance?

And more importantly what was the outcome.

I still can’t get rid of this issue myself. I just separated Roon onto a NUC with my new i7 just for HQP but I’m still getting pops and clicks on quiet passages.

.sjb

The ultraRendu is connected to the netgear switch, issue still present.

Here are the other setting available in case there are others that may be having an impact.

Thanks,

.sjb

Hi John

I saw your other older threads. So initially you were having pops even with Roon DSD512 upsampling but now with a dedicated NUCi7 Roon Core, Roon’s DSD512 is now 100% free of pops - correct ?

So you’re now just left with HQP pops at DSD512 only? DSD256 is now ok with HQP?

At DSD512 - which 2s filter and modulator combinations still cause pops for you?

cheers

Indeed I do seem to have this issue spread across numerous threads and you’ve done a good job following them!
The story so far…
I got myself a nice new shiny PC -

Initially Roon had pops and clocks at 512 but HQP worked fine. I updated the ultraRendu (it apparently will update individual components if you select update - even if no update is showing to the current software version) and a newer Roon bridge was installed, this solved the issue for Roon.

Then around the time the software on the ultraRendu was updated to 2.6 the issue started occurring with HQP (but not Roon). I can’t be sure it is related to the update but it was the only change.

I have tried the usual in HQP, buffer settings, CUDA on/off, multicore ticked/greyed to no avail.
HQP is not limiting the value stays at “0” all the time and the pops can only really be heard in quiet passages.Using -2 variants made no difference.
DSD 256 does seem to work okay.
I had thought that moving to ADSM7 had solved the issue but no it was still there.

I next tried separating Roon and HQP onto separate PCs but this had no effect on the pops so I don’t think they are due to the PC running out of “grunt”. Here is it running HQP and Roon at poly-sinc

I then took the Singxer SU-1 out of the equation and went directly from ultraRendu to the HoloAudio Spring DAC but the issue persists.

Next up is to use my old NUC as an NAA which should see if the ultraRendu is implicated if there are no pops whilst using this. They are intermittent and not really noticeable except with some types of music (mainly acoustic guitar / piano).

Thanks for your interest.

.sjb

Thankyou Sjb for all your research. I have exactly the same issue - it can only be heard on quiet passages but it is quite annoying. I’ve tried many of the same software efforts that you described also to no avail.

I’m running Roon server and HQ player on a windows computer built by little green computer (plenty of everything). From there by cat 5 cable to the ultra Rendu then to the Oppo 205.

Only seems to happen with DSD coming from HQP.

I am following your work thankyou

George

I haven’t found a filter combo that doesn’t cause pops but I haven’t cycled through all the possibilities.

Here is a picture of my setting

You’re upsampling to DSD 1024 x 48 George, is that intended ? What DAC are you using ? Mine tops out at DSD 512 x 44.1.

I’d try incrementing the headroom by 1dB increments (-7, -8, -9 …) and see if that makes a difference. On my system pops can appear before the Limited counter is triggered if headroom is the issue.

Am I correct in thinking that headroom is unlikely to be an issue with quiet passages or am I misunderstanding?

I have mine at -7.

.sjb

That’s right John, inter-sample peaks cause problems when the DAC is receiving 0dB signals.

G’day John

Thanks for all the info.

The main reason for my interest is we’ve been experiencing similar issues with a sonicTransporter i7 7700 (8 virtual cores) running RoonServer and HQP Embedded.

Long story short - the feedback I got from my old man (dad) over the phone was that the pops had disappeared for DSD512 after some initial troubles but I’ve just visited the folks this weekend and it turns out he was not correct - there are still pops. Even playing with headroom down to -30dB and setting up a separate Roon Core with the ROCK NUC i7 I gave him, there were still pops on very quiet passages , as you’ve noted.

To be honest, while the pops are obvious things to notice, I have to wonder if the SQ is affected in other non obvious ways at DSD512.

I tried to directly connect the sonicT to the Pro-Ject S2 DAC (bypassing the ultraRendu) but couldn’t get DSD to work at all.

So in the end we settled on DSD256. He prefers the mqa-mp filter + ASDM7 for everything. Life is too short to argue with him that there were better sounding filters to my ears (I did still try to argue of course).

He seems quite happy that it’s still better sounding than Roon DSD512 upsampling so it’s still a win overall.

My headroom is at -6. I’m not sure how to read this but my Oppo 205 says this about its dsd capabilities

USB Audio: up to 2ch/768kHz PCM, up to 2ch/2.8224MHz/5.6448MHz/11.2896MHz DSD

Whay dsd level would that correspond to in HQP?

11.2896 MHz = 44.1 x 256

Thanks I’ll change that setting in HQ player and see if that works.

I think 768 PCM has more bandwidth than DSD 256. Give that a try with a few different filters. I’d suggest xtr, closed form, poly-sinc, poly-sinc-shrt and minring, going from longest to shortest. They’re the linear phase versions.

I was very pleased with 768 xtr or closed form.

1 Like

If there’s clicking/popping during quiet passages, then it is not related to overs, because the level is already very low. In such cases it is more likely to be a USB transfer problem.

1 Like

What is the best way to address such a USB transfer problem?

.sjb

1 Like

First step would be to first check what happens if you replace the NAA with different hardware (you can for example try my bootable image for PC/Mac hardware), or alternatively connect the DAC directly to the server without NAA. That helps isolating the problem, otherwise there are too many variables in the picture and it becomes hard to locate where the problem really is.

I now have the NAA on a NUC connected to the Singxer SU1. So everything is the same, core, HQP, network etc except the ultraRendu is out of the equation.

I’ll give it a week or so to be sure of whether this has an impact.

.sjb

1 Like

Thanks John - anxiously awaiting your results.

This is one thing you and my old man’s system have in common - the ultraRendu.

The attached track revealed pops in the first 40 seconds at DSD512 for us - every time - using poly-sinc-short-mp-2s with ASDM7 modulator.

The goal for us is to get the 2s variants working at DSD512. If any non-2s variants work at DSD512, that’s just a bonus.

With Roon DSD512 up-sampling, no issues at all.

RoonShareImage-636619766248317940