Pops and buzzes

Roon by itself only upsamples to dsd 256.

For your DAC?

Roon upsamples to DSD512 (native) if the DAC and OS supports it. Has done for over 12 months now.

I suspect this isnā€™t related to upsampling, but to something else. Have you tried playing that Roon upsampling through HQPlayer with DirectSDM enabled? Then you have HQPlayer in picture, but the upsampling out of pictureā€¦

2 Likes

Good idea. Probably the only thing I havenā€™t tried yet. Will try and report back.

Any idea why I canā€™t use ALSA backend to by-pass the ultraRendu NAA and associated network devices and just go USB direct to the Pro-Ject S2 DAC? A driver missing on the sonicTransporter? Iā€™ve asked Andrew.

It would just divert to PCM, even with output mode SDM still selected (and yes, ALSA selected as ā€˜backendā€™ at the top of course)

Interesting results after testing this - no pops! Iā€™ll continue in my other thread, so not to double up:

sonicTransporter i7 with HQP Embedded - DSD512 to a micro/ultraRendu - #82 by dabassgoesboomboom

So now the question is what does this suggest?

Why does HQP DSD512 up-sampling cause pops and Roon DSD512 up-sampling is pop-free - both going through the same chain to the ultraRendu NAA ā†’ DAC.

Iā€™ve played the first 40 seconds of this piece 4 times and not have any pops at all through the NAA on my NUC.

This points me towards the ultraRendu/NAA, which seems contrary to your ā€œdiscoveryā€.

.sjb

Ha. Not a discovery - only an ā€˜initial observationā€™. Can you share a screenshot of your HQP settings that resulted in pop free playback here?

Is it quick and easy enough to reconnect your ultraRendu. Do you get pops with this same track with same HQP settings, with your ultraRendu as NAA? If itā€™s too much of a pain in the a$$, I would understand. This is frustrating stuff.

Would be interesting if you did Jussiā€™s suggestion with the ultraRendu in the chain. Enable Direct SDM and let Roon do the up-sampling to DSD512. Set HQP to a crazy difficult filter that would be impossible for your PC to handle at DSD512. This will convince you that HQP is in DSD512 pass-through mode.

Alas work has intervened in this pleasurable pursuit.

Iā€™ll try and do what you suggested tonight in an endeavour to solve this annoyance.

.sjb

1 Like

Ah - it is probably a limitation of my DAC so it doesnā€™t even show up as an option in ROON unless Iā€m using HQP.

1 Like

The plot thickensā€¦

So ultraRendu back in place

Played the first 40 seconds about 6 times. Not pops.

The only difference is that I powered down the ultraRendu on the app and then turned off the power.

It has been off for over 24 hours. I donā€™t have any faith the problem is solved so shall keep an open mind for the next week or so.

Out of a matter of interest what are people powering their Rendu with that are having the pops and crackles issue?
Iā€™m using an LPS-1.

.sjb

1 Like

LSP-1.

It would be interesting if rebooting the Ultra-rendu solves the problem.

I keep mu ultra rendu powered all the time.

Thatā€™s the same HQP filter settings that had pops previously?

Over here, LPS-1 powering ultraRendu also.

Yes, I tried 2 filters that had clicks in the past ( I never found a filter that didnā€™t).

My thoughts are going along the lines of this perhaps being a powering issue?

Could one of you try an alternative power source, perhaps whatever is powering the LPS-1 to rule this out?

.sjb

Yep Iā€™ll get my old man to use the SMPS that powers the LP-1. Will get him to try tonight/tomorrow.

Not to rule anything out without trying but both (ultraRendu and LPS-1) are designed by the same guy (John Swenson), so the likelihood of an issue there is small but will test it to be thorough.

The test that Jussi asked me to do is a good one. Same chain of HQP to ultraRendu NAA, where the only difference is Roon doing the up-sampling vs HQP doing the up-sampling. That test kind of rules out a power issue for me - at the NAA end anyway.

Ok cool. And you tried your own songs that also popped? Not only the Element album track #1 that weā€™ve been using?

Thanks for your patience. Hopefully we can all help each other to help Jussi recognise what may be happening, so we can live the rest of our lives in a pop free world (at DSD512 specifically).

Donā€™t know if this helps but I changed filter and Cuda setting to this show:

Listening to

The clicks have changed. There is a rather long silence between the end of one track and the start of the next. Very quiet multiple clicks (I could live with this) in the silence but then a few clicks abit louder at the start of the next track.

Seems so random!

1 Like

Everyone will vary and thatā€™s ok of course but I have to wonder if the SQ is affected more than just the obvious audible clicks and pops. The pops are obvious to notice but the SQ may be affected in less than obvious ways also.

For this reason weā€™re avoiding DSD512 with even a single pop, for music listening. The only way Iā€™d leave it on DSD512 is with 100% pop free playback.

Iā€™m sure weā€™ll find the culprit eventually.

Very good points. I actually prefer the higher setting of dsd 512,(at least in Roon playing HQP) even though my Dac doesnā€™t support more than 256.it simply has more defined spaces for the instruments- Canā€™t explain it but it is tangible.

I grew up having to put coins on my turntable arm to keep the center momentum and related distortion in check . Of course albums only sounded good for a couple a playings with this abuse- but I guess I can live with an occasional click now - I just tell myself it is dust on the record. Lol.

1 Like

No difference with the 7.5Vdc SMPS powering the Rendu - still get pops. So we can rule out the LPS-1.

Valid point, just clutching at straws most likely. EDIT: I see youā€™ve checked this, can delete ā€œmost likely ā€œ then!

What version is you NAA on the ultraRendu?
Mine is 3.5.3.

.sjb