Pops and buzzes

No worries at all, I just replied right above you at the same time. I still tested anyway and still get pops with the SMPS powering the Rendu.

NAA is version 3.5.3 also.

Colour of wallpaper perhaps?

This is akin to voodoo !

.sjb

2 Likes

Ha. Are you able to see loading of each individual core on your machine? I saw earlier, that overall usage is low when youā€™re getting pops, but what about individual cores?

Is this the sort of thing you mean?

This is playing Crisalide with poly-sinc-short. (No pops -at the moment).

.sjb

1 Like

Yep something like that.

Well arenā€™t you lucky! I donā€™t want to jinx you.

Well, thatā€™s sorted my listening before I head off to work

.sjb

1 Like

You have quite heavy filter selected for high DSD rates, so itā€™ll need fast machine. The delay between tracks happen if the sampling rate changes from track to another, HQPlayer needs to reinitialize the DSP pipeline for new input rate, especially in the case in your screenshots, where output rate is 44.1k-base and input rate is 48k-base. That will take time with those filters. Some clicking between the tracks in that case is possible because the DSD stream restarts and mutes the DAC for a moment (depending on particular DAC, but in your case it is Oppo, so ESS Sabre which will auto-mute in this case). This is completely different case from any clicking during a track playback.

Good explanation thank you.

My processor speed in Roon is typically at 1.8x so that shouldnā€™t be an issue.

I donā€™t know what that is, but it has nothing to do with HQPlayerā€¦

I believe it has to do with How well the host computer handles all the calcs associated with whatever dsd is in the chain eg hqp.

Hi George, I think Jussi means since that ā€˜processing rateā€™ applies only to Roon up-sampling, it doesnā€™t have anything to do with HQPlayer.

In your screenshot there, that is Roon doing the DSD up-sampling, not HQplayer.

Aha , user error? If Iā€™m using HQPlayer to do the upsampling do I disable the sample rate conversion in the Roon DSP module?

Thankks,

George

Hi George, yes thatā€™s correct. You definitely donā€™t want both Roon AND HQPlayer doing up-sampling at the same time.

Donā€™t worry about user error - weā€™re all always learning in this fun hobby.

1 Like

Thanks Sean

2 Likes

So, removing the redundant upsamping in Roon, along with limiting the bit rate in HQP to the max that my dac will accept, seems to have done well for the sound. Quick listen of Bill Evans had no clicks. Hereā€™s hoping it solved the issue long term.

3 Likes

Great news George. Just a refresher, which DAC do you have again and what are you up-sampling to with HQP? And which filter? Can you provide a screenshot of your HQP settings, probably easier than typing it all out.

I was a little confused by an earlier comment ā€œI actually prefer the higher setting of dsd 512,(at least in Roon playing HQP) even though my Dac doesnā€™t support more than 256.ā€

Iā€™m trying to follow everyoneā€™s system here, that has had pops.

Cheers in advance.

George is using an Oppo 205.

There are multiple sufficient causes for pops. I think Georgeā€™s resulted from double upsampling and feeding his DAC a higher resolution signal than itā€™s spec.

@jussi_laako has been able to reproduce the issue at his end, with pops at DSD512 with his microRendu NAAā€¦

Heā€™s in discussions with @agillis .

Both of those guys are very very clever and nice guys and Iā€™m confident they will figure it out.

1 Like

Well thatā€™s good news, do you know this from personal correspondence or is there a thread elsewhere?

.sjb

Offline emails with them this past week.

I was pulling my hair out, especially in my other thread, but now can relax as they work to fix it. Iā€™m confident those smart chaps will sort it out.

Their customer service is first class.