Popup on Android app: Roon remote can't find Roon Core

Basically, throughout this weekend, roon has been stop and start always not finding roon Nucleus.

Bluesound, Spotify amazon NEVER breaks down and Roon always break down.
Normally roon plays via Auralic. And always breaking down.
Whereas Amazon and Spotify plays via Auralic and bluesound NEVER breaks.
So i know its not my networks.
Please sort it out.

Thanks
Ayo

But, it is your network. Otherwise, we would all have that problem. We don’t.

2 Likes

@Ayodele_Akande, I’ve moved your post to the #support category.

If you’d like assistance, please complete the following support template.

Please be sure to include details of your core, network, storage location of your media files, and any messages displayed by Roon. Thank you.

Roon Core Machine

<!‐-Include your operating system and machine info (Model, CPU, RAM)-‐>
<!‐-Write below this line-‐>

Networking Gear & Setup Details

<!‐-Your network gear (model of routers/switches) and if on WiFi/Ethernet, are you using VPN-‐>

Connected Audio Devices

<!‐-Specify what devices you’re using and their connection types, like USB/HDMI/Chromecast, etc.)-‐>

Number of Tracks in Library

<!‐-Tell us how large your music library is, eg. “30,000 tracks”-‐>

Description of Issue

<!-‐Tell us about the problem you’re having in as much detail as possible. Screenshots are always appreciated!-‐>

Including these details in your first post helps resolve your issues faster.

It is not my network. Because ive other streaming platforms and they never breaks.

It happens whenever the roon radio or whatever it is called. Is it possible to turn it off.

Also, why different DSP is applied to each tracks.
Currently getting -0.0db to -0.5db. How do i stop this.

My network hasn’t change in 5 years. But your software behaves differently each time you upgrade.

Nucleus Mk1 with 2tb SDD card installed

BT router on switch Ethernet cables

Auralic Vega G2 & Aries G1 - USB between Vega & Aries

29,500 tracks

Problems are always cant find Roon core.
Most of the time, it finds it within 15 mins.
Used to happen once a while then once a week and now every day and sometimes more than once per day.

It happens more at weekends or coincidentally i listen more at weekends.

Other streaming platforms use the network differently. Because of the way Roon operates, it is very sensitive to bursty WiFi packet loss that other streaming schemes overcome with buffering. One common problem area is Roon device discovery, with uses IP multicast. Some versions of the Android network stack seem to be especially sensitive to anything there, causing the kind of error you are seeing. Those errors will depend on time of day and week because bursty loss depends on how busy your WiFi environment is, for instance your neighbors are all home on the weekend using their main WiFi devices.

All my connections are wired. WiFi only controls the apps.
What about the DSP volume?

And you have the problem with your Android app, yes? The Roon core discovers remotes and endpoints, so something–network related–is preventing Roon from reliably connecting to the Android device.

Ideally, please open a separate support thread for each issue. Likely, you are using DSP volume controls or volume levelling. However, you haven’t provided much information for those assisting you.

Both Android s22 ultra and tab4 and ipad/iphone. Also Windows tablets, No difference. Same error is displayed across the devices simultaneously

All these devices use Wi-Fi? So, please share networking detail as originally requested. Support will need this information to help diagnose the problem.

Hello Roon.
Finally, ive diagnosed the problem apparently known to you guys for a while.
Nucleus mk1 is shutting down during playback. Hence my app error that couldn’t find Roon core. It all make sense now.

The questions now is what is the fix?.

Iam disappointed to say the least that none of you could have suggested what was happening. Instead of asking me the cut and paste questions.

I am not totally convinced about your upgrades that while it brings some benefits but it does create unexplainable problems.

What guys are you referring too? Everyone who replied is a community member just like you.

That it is a known problem after certain upgrades.
That is what i meant.
Please what is the fix. Because i can’t enjoy my music as i would have been able to

Hello Ayodele_Akande,
just another user here.
You didn’t provide some details that we need to know in order to advise you.
How old is the Nucleus mk1?
How much RAM does the unit have?
If it’s only 4 GB of RAM, that’s probably not enough.
You didn’t share your library size, how many tracks are there?
This information can be used to assess whether the unit currently requires more RAM to function properly.

There is one more possibility. If the Nucleus has been in use for a longer period of time, certain components may need to be replaced due to aging.
In my personal experience, this applies to SSDs and RAM modules that do not always work properly after more than 4 years.

That’s just my personal opinion though, and I am sure @support will have more to say on the matter.

1 Like

Thank you Alex.
My roon core runs from Nucleus and i bought it immediately it was released. It was the base version based on library size of under 100k tracks recomendation. My library have always been under 30k tracks
Ive installed 2tb of ssd disk inside it.
Not sure of datelines, but about 3 years old.
My question to Roon Team is, what do i have to do to solve the problems. Otherwise, when i call my dealer tomorrow, i will asking for what are the alternatives.

By the way, any alternative?

Thank you.

Thank you Ayodele_Akande,
since you are asking about alternatives and planning to contact your dealer tomorrow, the least expensive solution would be this:
Are you somewhat tech savvy, or is there a friend or family member like that? I ask because the procedure of changing a RAM module is really not difficult.
All you have to do is unscrew the housing, fold up the old module, remove it and insert the newly purchased one. Costs between 20 and 30€ here in Germany.
Since a Nucleus is basically an Intel NUC in a different case, there are plenty of instructions and even videos available. Certainly help here by the community as well.
Here is a link to a thread I just recall where you can see what the inside of your Nucleus, and the same RAM sticks you will need, looks like.

If that is not an option, you will need to ask your dealer if he can make the exchange himself or if he can direct you to someone else.
(This case might be more appropriate for a computer savvy than a hifi dealer.)
If it was my own problem, I would consider the following:
It’s likely that after upgrading your Nucleus with a new RAM module, everything will work again for a while. However, it can happen that one or both SSDs fail later. Or another hardware element. Or that the overall processor performance no longer meets your requirements.
If your dealer is someone you can trust and who you can expect to give useful advice, I would discuss these aspects with him.

Thanks for your support. Spoke with my dealer and he is consulting with his colleague and get back to me.
Bought Nucleus July 2020. Not sure if it’s out of warranty.
Also, I can change RAM - used to build desktops pc for friends and family. The question is, will it work. Or solve the problem until next Roon update.
Ayo

Hi Ayo
since you’ve been waiting 16 days for the support team to finally tune in, I’m tagging again @support for you. With the hint that apparently this problem had already started a year ago.

Until then it would be helpful if you could share a screenshot of the Nucleus web ui:
You can access the Web Administration Interface by going to Settings > Setup > Find Roon OS and tap Find
Pic from my own Rock/NUC

Tap the displayed IP address and the Nucleus Web Administration Interface will open in a web browser.
Please post a screenshot of what you’re seeing.

Thank you, Ayo
Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do to speed things up any further. I hope the support team will give you a quick update on this!

1 Like