Post Some Interesting Cover Versions

And, do not forget A Perfect Circle’s version of the same, intertwined with Diary of a Madman (Ozzy!)

Adding Gov’t Mule - Cortez The Killer (Neil Young)

Ah, damned… Tool - No Quarter (Led Zeppelin) is a staple in my music diet too! :slight_smile:

Well, this certainly qualifies for both Cover and Interesting…

5 Likes

I’m not a huge fan of the original, but I do think these three covers are worth a listen.

RoonShareImage-637347505705876710

RoonShareImage-637347506155487850

RoonShareImage-637347507209707940

1 Like

Always interesting to discover a song you heard for the first time was actually not the original version. Especially when it’s played repeatedly on the local AM/FM radio stations as was the case during my formative years…long before streaming and Roon.

Here are a but a few of my favorite covers:

The Band - Don’t Do It [Marvin Gaye]

Santana - Black Magic Woman [Fleetwood Mac]
Oye Coma Va [Tito Puente]

Kansas - Bring It Back [J.J. Cale]

Frijid Pink - House of the Rising Sun [origin unknown]

The Doobie Brothers - Take Me in Your Arms (Rock Me a Little While) [Eddie Holland]

Three Dog Night - Eli’s Coming [Laura Nyro]

Deep Purple - Hush [Billy Joe Royal]

Kenny Rogers & The First Edition - Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In) [Mickey Newbury]

The Youngbloods - Get Together [Kingston Trio]

Patsy Cline - Crazy [Willie Nelson]

Willie Nelson - Funny How Time Slips Away [Billy Murray]

[NOTE: From Ralph Emery’s Country Legends Series; Vol. 1]

Steve Miller - Jet Airliner [Paul Pena]

Harry Nilsson - Everybody’s Talkin’ [Fred Neil]

And here are couple that have piqued my interest:

The Tenors - Forever Young [Bob Dylan]

David Porter - Hang On Sloopy [The Vibrations; The McCoys]

1 Like

The tones coming out of his Mandobird are ridiculous.

2 Likes

surprised this hasn’t been posted yet.

New Order’s “Leave Me Alone” by Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth, brilliant!

RoonShareImage-637441555568640650

Slightly late to the party…

This is Manuel Barrueco’s transcription of part of Keith Jarrett’s Koln Concert. It’s fantastic, just listen around 2.00 in when he goes ‘off-piste’ - this man is a master. This track gets played first on any new kit I get, almost without fail. And I never tire of it - always a sign of good music.

I can only find it on this compliation album of guitar music. Which looks naff but isn’t - well worth hunting down, I got the triple CD quite cheap.

Then there’s Barrueco’s Beatles album, again beautiful playing and lovely interpretations. It’s interesting to compare it to Milos Karadaglic’s Beatles album too. Equally superb playing, a slightly different approach. Think clarity and precision versus Barrueco’s warmth. There’s certainly an analogy with the different approach that hi-fi systems can take…

2 Likes

Ok, this is offbeat but season-appropriate. Duke Ellington and Billy Strayhorn rearranged the Nutcracker Suite and Peer Gynt. If you like Ellington’s big band, it’s worth a listen.

1 Like

I follow rivers by the very good Belgian band Triggerfinger:

https://youtu.be/BeGi0QEgcjM

So much better than the original.

2 Likes

E232CB0C-CA4A-4C22-AEDC-B73F839E4FCA

Interesting interpretation of the J. J. Cale classic. Strong voice. Superb recording IMHO.

1 Like

This is a great cover of a great song

I don’t know if anyone has nouvelle vague. Brilliant covers of 80s alternative/post punk in a chilled jazzy style.
I started with Bande a part

3 Likes

You mean like in my post in the what are listening to now thread?

1 Like

Sorry, don’t keep up with that one.

This is a really great cover of the Doors’ The Crystal Ship:

Have alway’s liked Moby’s cover of this. Great film too!

image image

2 Likes

A lush version but with a similar vocal style to Mr Young