Post your worst reviewed music

Ah, Danzig (to be fair, this recording is embarrassingly bad):

Same reviewer?

Chailly proves once again that Mahler is a composer of irredeemable vulgarity.

His endless opening ā€œKraftigā€ has dumb tones and stupid marches.

5 Likes

Hi @Ian_Murphy,

thatā€™s DEFINITELY one of the worst reviews Iā€™ve ever read!!! A case of irredeemable brainlessnessā€¦

Rostropovich should have kept to making cheese.

3 Likes

Just came across Rolf Lislevand in TIDALā€™s new Classical releases, and then found this stinker of a review for one of his earlier effortsā€¦

1 Like

. . . Ouch!

Grouchy . . .

1 Like

I rather enjoyed reading it :grinning: It makes me want to listen to Scottā€™s music to see if I will agree with the view (and I suspect I will).

I donā€™t know what Debussy, Elgar and Strauss thought of these particular pieces but generally they liked Scott. Must admit that unlike this reviewer, the English Edwardians are a guilty pleasure for me!

1 Like

Wow. Allmusic seems to have no rule about writing under the influence. :sunglasses:
Iā€™ve a chamber album of Scott in the library, also released by Chandos, which got a rather favourable review so thereā€™s at least diversity of opinion in place.

Flapdoodle. Twice!

Ok, How useless is this review? Answers pleaseā€¦

Bear in mind, itā€™s in MQA and on Tidal now.

Itā€™s a release specific review that weā€™ve applied to the whole album (erroneously). Apologies for that; however, Itā€™s already fixed in code thatā€™s currently in test.

2 Likes

Pretty damning review that ends with:

A lightly played, lightly sung, lightly recorded Missa Solemnis: if thatā€™s what one wants in a Missa Solemnis, here it is.

3 Likes

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Discussion regarding versions of the Missa Solemnis

Itā€™s quite disgraceful (literally) that we canā€™t block this nonsense from appearing on our Roon displays.

Thatā€™s astonishing. That Mahler 3 review is also by James Leonard whom has also come up in relation to Beethovenā€™s Missa solemnis.

Maybe whatā€™s needed here is a reviewer ban like the ROONRADIOBAN. It could be ROONREVIEWERBAN. I donā€™t mind critical reviews but this guy doesnā€™t seem to like anything except half a dozen recordings from his youth.

Itā€™s frankly embarrassing to have such drivel appearing on the screen, when in company, and one is playing some well-loved album.

Good idea - perhaps you could raise it in the Feature Request forum?