Powerstrip - Waste money or real improvement?

I’d like to repeat myself, saying …

and …

The other comment related to setting facts straight…

So, to make it clearer to you:
Better direct your time, money and attention to things that really make an audible change, a jaw-dropping one for a change!
Spend 100€ for a USB microphone, download REW, read the relevant posts on this forum and try out room correction, or maybe just take the measurements for professionals to generate the filters for you.

Did I make myself clear enough?

1 Like

I did say no to DSP. I felt it is cheating. So I bought a tube preamp. I was expecting some magic or I do not know what. Yes warm and base. I was stupid not to like it, what? I like clinical and sterile sound? So spend some more listening hours. It felt to me like cranking up some frequencies against others. After 5 days I did put it to rest. And I thought if I did that why not try DSP, it is same idea crank up some frequencies against others but with more control (and no tube rolling and for less money :). I’ve got a mic instead better tubes. The mic is 1 month old now. I would not put this aside even if left with the convolution files made by me with the first try.

Still nothing about the power strip :slight_smile: I apologise for that

1 Like

I am already using Linn Space Optimization, but your suggestion could be a good additional ideas.

Any suggestion for an professional?

Danke - Thanks
Torben

PS: Oh :slight_smile: Just watched a video “Room Acoustics Software” - I think I need a professional with the right equipment to do this :slight_smile:

@CrystalGipsy recommended me https://www.homeaudiofidelity.com

Did not try yet

I’m sure of that :slight_smile: But you can try, it is fun and can be a preview if you like to spend with a real professional. If I can manage a little REW by following the threads in here I’m sure you’ll do better.

Nope a pc and a calibrated mic such as the minidsp Umik1. Speak to Home Audio Fidelity and then take some reading with the tools he provides send them off with a favourite song of your choice he will apply the filter to that for you to try out if you don’t like results he can tweak if you don’t like it all nothing to pay. I use him all the time and further readings are pretty cheap.

2 Likes

@CrystalGipsy @Traian_Boldea - Sounds great - but at the same time sounds like a mouthful :slight_smile:

So I need an miniDSP Messmikrofon UMIK-1 (109 EURO) - and what more is needed?

Torben

you can use a computer that you already have. Check Home Audio Fidelity. And you can download REW. Read the topics in here. Follow some tutorials. That is what I did last month…

And the guys in here are awesome and helpful. If you see a benefit go to something more professional

1 Like
1 Like

If you want to mess about and do it diy then download REW, if not contact HAF, Thierry is very helpful and patient.

You could also try using Housecurve app for a vey quick and simple way to play with it. Only need an iPhone and it’cheap, same principles apply as using REW but it’s mostly done for you. It’s nI where near as good as what HAF can do but it’s a start to show you what it can do.

If you go DiY whatever you do, don’t compensate for large dips (nulls) especially in the lower base regions you lower peaks not raise levels. Raising a null can create more energy and cause all sort of issues along with possibly damaging speakers.

2 Likes

What’s your goal? If properly used, Linn Space Optimization is very effective, cutting out undesirable room modes. In my case, I chose Linn gear because my city home has a difficult, glass and hardwood main room, and my Linn dealer was able to work through the process to achieve results that classical musician friends found very convincing.

3 Likes

Try this

1 Like

I have several of these, they came well recommended from various places I looked.
It was £45 for this or about £350 for the other items I was looking at … I put the rest of money to something else (Music)

3 Likes

I have a couple. Never enought sockets in my house.

1 Like

I have also found that the Linn Space Optimmasation is the best room correction tool for the Linn streamers.

@Torben_Rick, with regard to the best power cables for the Linn devices, I personally think these are the best cables:

Linn cable from Longwell
Linn cable from I-Sheng (current cable- close to Longwell)
Linn cable from Volex with wire marked Tongyuan
Linn cable from Volex with wire marked Ta Hsing
Linn cable from Volex with wire marked Baohing

Any Linn dealer should be able to get you their respective cables.

Btw, a friend of mine had a fancy power cable he paid $600 for his expensive high-end HIFI system, he and I compared the fancy power cable and a different power cable, he was blown away by the different power cable and asked what it was, I told him it was a Linn, and it cost only $35. So the moral is that more expensive power cables and strips does not mean it sounds better, at least in the context of the Linn system.

1 Like

I did ask 3 Linn dealer the question:

Dealer 1: “we have tried many power cords for the Linn machines. Linn power cords have always been better”.

Dealer 2: “This is very difficult with Linn. We have already tested many cables here.
Most make one part better and another part worse than the standard cable. But one cable sticks out, here really all musical aspects are significantly improved. It’s the Audioplan Ampere L, it’s priced at EUR 1,300”.

Dealer 3: “we have had good experiences with HMS. Everyone goes there, the expensive ones are even better”

I’m out of words :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Any item of electrical equipment that is in any way fussy about the power cord used is plainly poorly designed. I assume that Linn dealers assume that their customers must believe everything they say and close the sale accordingly…ker-ching!
If they have confidence in the recommendation then they should also offer a full refund if it makes no difference.

4 Likes

I would love to see someone pick out a power cable 8 or 9 out of 10 times in a blind, level matched listening test.

6 Likes

Audiophile trial by ordeal with cables

3 Likes

FYI: NaimPower Line (1139 USD), more than a complete system of some members here:

1 Like