Prefer Qobuz over Tidal (or local, or vice-versa) as Preference [implemented in build 987]

Hello,

Currently when I click on a new album I haven’t yet heard, a Tidal version is the default, and all other Tidal versions must be scrolled past before arriving at the Qobuz versions.

I would like to prefer Qobuz versions over Tidal versions, with a Qobuz version as the “default,” generically and across the board, and I would like a setting/option to configure that for myself.

More specifically (“next step”, if possible) - I would like to prefer Qobuz 24-bit versions over anything else.
I’d like to prefer Qobuz 16/44.1 versions over Tidal 16/44.1 versions.
And I would only like to prefer Tidal versions over Qobuz versions if Tidal has an MQA version and Qobuz only has it at 16/44.1.

30 Likes

I strongly support this as a Feature Request. Thanks

9 Likes

In Settings, Services, limit Tidal to CD-quality or even less (I doubt you’ll truly notice a difference worth writing home about). Qobuz will be the default winner if there is a better than CD-quality album and you’re only losing MQA in the trade.

I found this helpful for a month while I trialed Qobuz after using Tidal for 2 years. I dropped Tidal after the month Qobuz trial.

I find in general Qobuz sounds just a touch better and while there is less content there are still many millions of tracks I’ve not heard yet.

10 Likes

I’d love to see this as well. I can’t for the life of me figure out why roon picks Tidal sometimes and Qobuz other times, but it would be really nice to be able to set ordered service and quality preferences.

And @Larry_Post, good suggestion. That’s exactly what I’ve been considering doing.

1 Like

Bumping this request. I’ve added the lesser tier of Tidal to back fill where Qobuz falls short…but wish I could always prefer Qobuz be used when there is a match.

A simple priority setting to prefer one over the other will do. Tidal seems to get way more plays than Qobuz despite both having the same track/album.

Is it ‘random’? Or is latency checked before selecting? Or a kickback from Tidal perhaps?

3 Likes

That is bit cynical. More likely it would be because Tidal has been around for a long time and Qoboz is more recent, so would have been added later. I doubt there is any real difference in sound quality anyway - likely streaming services get the same material from the labels and generally when people express their “preferences” they are split both ways. So probably, it is entirely subjective - like so many things in the strange world of Audiophilia.

Nah, I’m just a bit cynical. Trying to get a response from Danny or others.

1 Like

Bump for this request.

2 Likes

I also have both Qobuz and Tidal and would like this feature.

1 Like

Would like this too.

1 Like

Very interested in this, as well as something similar.

I recently added a 2TB internal SSD to my nucleus. I also have a master music folder backup on my NAS (4TB). There are about 2/3 (2TB) of my favorite music files on the SSD and balance are on a watched folder linked to the NAS. Because the NAS is also my backup, it has duplicates of 2TB of files on the internal SSD.

Is there a set up means of setting up a priority order of having roon play back first from the nucleus SSD, then NAS, then off to Tidal if I don’t have a hard copy?

Thanks
Kenreau

Ok, I just added Qobuz to my Tidal subscription.

Boy I would like this. On average, if there is both, I’d rather have it play (higher res?) and from streaming service X (in my case Qobuz)?

Now with 1.8’s magazine style I find myself wanting this even more…

1 Like

+1

Are (all) feature requests commented by staff? No comment here so far…

2 Likes

I don’t see this as a problem at all. Whatever you’re shown, tap on the versions button and select anything there in any choice of sample rate, and click on it. If you want to add that to your library, click on the add to library button. Done in 15 seconds.

5 Likes

I don’t see this as a problem at all. Whatever you’re shown, tap on the versions button and select anything there in any choice of sample rate, and click on it. If you want to add that to your library, click on the add to library button. Done in 15 seconds.

Cool story. Different strokes for different folks n’at. But I do appreciate the bump you gave me with your response… :wink:

Nothing I said in OP indicated I wasn’t aware of a functioning work-around that “gets it done in 15 seconds.” Quite the opposite (and maybe you’re trolling?)… the point kinda was that the suggestion:

1. Removes the 15 second effort you note/acknowledge. Removing those 15 seconds is undeniably “better” (and therefore more than “not a problem at all.”)

2. Doesn’t require the user (I prefer the word “subscriber” to be honest) to clutter up their Qobuz (or Tidal) “favorites” list just to prefer a particular version when using Roon. I use those “favorites” lists differently when I’m away from home (and not on Roon).

3. Your work-around is only effective when not in discovery mode, where-as the request/suggestion from me works (auto-magically) even on first-click discovery of something new that you’ve never viewed/listened to before… undeniably an improvement over the current system for those (like me) that have a preference for one service over the other (but like both enough to pay for both).

It’s a feature I’d still love to see implemented…

11 Likes

Also strongly support this suggestion. Qobuz also apparently pay more per stream so would be beneficial all around! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’d like to be able to tell Roon I prefer Qobuz hi-res over Tidal MQA.

17 Likes

Or even local over streaming, my internet is uncapped but if it were not I would be mighty annoyed that Roon Radio chooses a Tidal Version over the local one of the same album thus “spending my cap”. Which it currently does …

1 Like

This!

Especially because my local masters are usually better masters than the ones available by Qobuz and Tidal (this is even more important because of that MQA plague).

2 Likes

Strongly support this idea. I personally prefer Qobuz but the Roon always pick Tidal. Very frustrating.

3 Likes