Private Zones Not Appearing in 1.8

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Ubuntu, Linux 5.4.0-60-generic, Roon 1.8 (Build 756) stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Mac hooked up to ethernet, iphone over WiFi. Netgear Orbi.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Related to this issue: Mac/iPhone

Description Of Issue

Since 1.8 rolled out, playing to private zones (e.g. directly to my Mac laptop or iphone) has been hit or miss. Last night, for example, I was playing to my laptop without any issues and this morning the Roon client requests to “Select an audio zone” and my laptop is no longer an option. Same with on my phone.

For both devices I can go into Settings > Audio and see that the device is listed and enabled but it still doesn’t show up as an output option. Disabling and re-enabling, and quitting out of the roon app (on the device), also hasn’t worked.

I ssh’ed into the server running roon and rebooted the core by running:
sudo systemctl restart roonserver
and now the private zones are appearing on both iOS and on my mac.

This is a workaround of sorts but there is something odd happening. Would be nice to have the option to trigger a core reboot directly from the settings page (different feature request I realize) but I’ve noticed these private zones disappearing multiple times now since installing 1.8.

I had the same problem. I could see the audio device in the settings. I tried disabling and enabling the device as well as checking and unchecking exclusive access. I then tried restarting the Roon client on my MacBook Pro several times but nothing worked. I then rebooted the core running ROCK and then everything was fine.

This has happened two more times since I originally posted this. Anyone from the Roon team care to chime in?

nobody cares
not only private zones - you gonna constantly restart core to reappear ANY zones after they’ reappearing

Hi, same here, except I still can choose 2 zones among my usual 3, always the same.

Apologies for the trouble, everyone!

See our latest update on this here: