Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra and Pre Box S2 Digital vs. Matrix Audio mini-i Pro 3

Happy New Year to you all!

A question for the round: I would have the chance to change my “headphone only” mini system from the combo Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra + Pre Box S2 Digital to a Matrix Audio mini-i Pro 3. Does anyone here know the equipment and can tell me if this would be a worthwhile switch? Unfortunately I can’t test the mini-i Pro 3 before I buy it…

I am basically not dissatisfied with the Pro-Ject units, but the Matrix Audio unit is “all in one” and I heard that the headphone performance is supposed to be much better than with my Pro-Jects.

2 Likes

I believe that @Michael_Harris has one and so do I so can speak from experience but not from a comparison as never owned the Project.
As you say it is a complete all in one, its Roon Ready, a great DAC and an excellent headphone amp, all for under a grand.
Oh and it does MQA if that’s off interest…
It drives my Focal and Sennheiser cans very easily and I need nothing more.
As a DAC I actually use the i2s input from my Antipodes server and have not felt the need to even look for anything better.
I do not think you would be disappointed my friend.

3 Likes

Thanks Ace!

I am also a big fan and it drives all my headphones great as well as being a good DAC and being able to feed an external Amp/preamp as a streamer if needed (I fed my Sonos AMP for some time).

For the price and all in one nature of this device it’s hard to look past it.

I have read that it can struggle a little with hard to drive Headphones, but none of my 4 headphones fit into that category. Two sets of HiFiMan a pair of AKG 710 pro and DCA Aeon.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot @Michael_Harris, I think the unit should be fine with my AudioQuest NightOwl and as well with my B&W P7 (wired version).
I’ll sleep on it and decide tomorrow.

1 Like

Good luck with your thinking

1 Like

Hi Uli. I can’t do a comparison either, but I can tell you that the Matrix does a great job for me. Using with Powered Studio Monitors and 5 sets of Headphones (HIFIMAN Arya and Yamaha YH-L700A) and IEM’s (Kinera Nanna Pro, Raptgo Hook X and Crinicle X Zero)

3 Likes

Cheers Ferg!

1 Like

Out of loves Uli, :heart: but good luck with whatever you decide.

Keep us up to date.

1 Like

I owned the Project Stream Box S2 Ultra + Pre Box S2 Digital and returned it after 48 hours of use because it had too many bugs. That combo has no support from Project since 2017 which is went it got its latest firmware (V2.12) from his designer who left Project and then Project didn’t care to fix all the remaining bugs. I also owned the mini-i Pro 3 for about 1 year and it was and still is a great streamer/headphone amp from Matrix Audio. I sold it after getting the Matrix Audio X-SABRE 3 + Topping A90D Combo. My recommendation is to get the mini-i Pro 3 without any hesitation as you will have full support from Matrix Audio and the mini-i Pro 3 is able to drive low impedance headphones without any issues, including my DCA AEON 2 Noire.

4 Likes

Thank you very much @Enrico_Castagnetti.

Good and favorable review for the mini-i Pro 3.

–MD

2 Likes

Thanks a lot, Mike!
Decision made - I’m gonna get it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

One of us,one of us :rofl:

(I was lucky with my timing, I ordered mine the day Roon Certification was announced and by the time I got it the firmware was available. It has never given me a moments problem to be fair to it)

2 Likes

Thanks a lot you guys, I’ll keep you posted how it performs when it arrived.

3 Likes

Looking forward to your impressions!
Enjoy but I know you will.

1 Like

Uli

Well it seems like you are making a very good choice. Between the measurements and the users experience of this product in this thread, it is all good.

–MD

1 Like

It’s so great that you can just ask here and get so much feedback. It helped me a lot.

3 Likes

Here is the time when I had literally 3 headphone amps on my desk :slight_smile:

Things have changed since then :wink:

3 Likes

Wow! Carnival of boxes!

2 Likes