Problem adding Tidal albums to Roon database

Roon hits DNS a lot, a real lot, and in a different way to Tidal. Because one works does not mean that the other will. That’s why they recommend the DNS change.

So I decided to move my Roon core from the Innuous Zen Mini to my PC laptop and now everything runs perfectly! I had a problem when I added a Tidal album to my library the artwork would not come over and it would just be a generic black and white picture for the album artwork. That problem is solved now that the core is running on my laptop. The laptop and my Innuous are using the same DNS so DNS is not the issue I don’t think. I would still prefer to use the Innuous to run core because its a dedicated server and the sound quality is a bit better.

1 Like

Hi @Bill_Reeve,

Thanks for the info here. Is there any difference in how the laptop Core and the Innuos Core are connected to the network?

Not much different, the laptop is just hooked up by wireless and the Innuos is hooked up using a wifi extender and then ethernet cable at the end.

1 Like

Hi @Bill_Reeve,

It would be good to take the WiFi extender out of the equation here and see if that is causing any issue here. Can you try to connect the Innuos directly to the main router via Ethernet and let us know if there is any change?

So I connected the Innuous directly to the router last night and I still have the same problem with slow Tidal. Still takes 4 minutes or so to play a track. My local music still plays fine. I do want to run Roon core on the Innuous because the sound quality is superior to when I run Core on my laptop.

1 Like

Hi @Bill_Reeve,

Thanks for giving that a go. Moving forward with troubleshooting, I’d like to enable some diagnostics on your account so the team can take a closer look, but first I was hoping you could reproduce this issue.

Please try to start playback on the Innuos and the next time you have a long load make a note of that time that you start playback, the time playback actually begins, and the track that you’re trying to play. Respond here with that information and we can take a look.

Thanks!

So I played an album Mark Knopfler Get Lucky on Tidal. It took 4 minutes and 18 seconds from the time I hit play till playback of the first track began.

Hi @Bill_Reeve,

Now that I have the timestamps, diagnostics have been enabled on your account. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

So I’m still having the problem of slow Tidal and artwork not coming over when I add an album to my library. However if I run Roon core on my pc laptop everything works fine. I did try Qobuz also and have the same problems, takes 4 minutes to play those tracks too. I also reset the Innuos to factory specs and still have my problem. also on the reset Innuos server every single Tidal album that was a part of my library has the generic black and white artwork. Do you have any ideas what is causing these problems yet?

Have you contacted Innuous support as well? There maybe some setting to try at the Server level.

Yes we did contact Innuos. They are waiting for Roon technical support to see what they come up with.

Last night my Roon was even worse. Now there are no pictures for artists, only albums have cover art. If it’s a Tidal album or Qobuz album there is either a black and white generic cover or nothing at all. Also my Tidal didn’t play at all.

Hi @Bill_Reeve,

Apologies for the delay here. I spoke with the team regarding the analysis of the diagnostics report from the Innuos Zen Mini Core machine. In the report there are frequent errors relating to networking issues that appear to be at the root of the behavior you’re experiencing.

From our prior troubleshooting it was determined that the PC Core machine is working without issue. We tried to remove the wireless extender from the equation so that the Innuos was connected directly to the router, and the issue still persisted with the Innuos Core only.

With the previous troubleshooting in mind, along with the diagnostics report analysis from the team, it seems as though something specific to the Innuos Core is causing networking issues that are causing this behavior. First I’d recommend trying a different Ethernet cable to connect the Innuos directly to the router so we can rule out possible cable issues. Beyond that we would recommend reaching out to Innuos support to see if they can provide any insight into why these networking issues may be occurring with this Core machine.

Thanks again for your patience here, Bill, and apologies for the continued troubles.

I’m really disappointed in your response here. The Innuos technical support is trying to diagnose the problem but so far has not found a problem with the Innuos core. I still think it might be a problem with the Roon software itself. Just pointing the finger at Innuos is not a solution. I think you need to offer further help here. I tried a different ethernet cable and had the same problem. Everything in Roon worked well on the Innuos with my current networking before version 1.6 came out.

1 Like

Hey Bill – just wanted to quickly address this:

I understand you’re frustrated, but I can assure you we’re not pointing fingers or passing the buck. Our team is at your disposal, and I’m sure they’ll be able to identify the issue here.

As a general rule, we always try to avoid bouncing customers around to our partners or to other companies. It’s really a last resort, but in this case it sounds like the problems were localized to the Innuos device, and I can see a number of traces in your logs that point to internet connectivity issues during the long loading period you mentioned.

If these issues only occur when the Core is run on this device, further discussions with Innuos make sense. We do not have this hardware in our QA lab, so if there is something different about how DNS works on this device, or how the Core is run on this device, the team at Innuos are probably going to be the most knowledgeable about what’s going on here, and we’ve seen them work through a number of issues for our shared customers.

For now, can you let me know where you left things with Innuos and any tests or troubleshooting you’ve discussed with them? I’ll make sure I reach out to them, and we’ll make sure we get this resolved for you.

I understand now that you were not pointing fingers. I’m just extremely frustrated. So I had another session with the Innuos support. He had a remote session in my network. He could not figure what was causing the problem. He said it’s taking a long time to cache Tidal tracks. He configured the Innuos Tidal player and everything played fine. So he would like Roon to contact Innuos support to help us figure this out. We also connected the Innuos directly to the router with wire for our session. Yesterday I dropped my Innuos server into my dealer Alma Audio’s network and it worked perfectly, running the Roon Core on the Innuos. So its something with my network interacting with Roon Core (maybe). Thanks for your help.

Thanks Bill – that’s helpful, and we’ll be following up with them.

Can you let me know how DNS is set up on your network, and whether you’ve made any changes during this troubleshooting – either changing the DNS settings on the Innuos device, or on your router?

I’m not really sure. DNS it set up automatically I think but Nuno Vitorino of Innuos was playing around with some DNS settings on the router during our session. I just watched him work. He had a remote session into my network. I have not personally made any changes to DNS.

1 Like