Problem exporting playlist to Excel

iMac (3.6 GHz, i7) running macOS 10.15.6. Roon 1.7 (build 610)
I have other connected devices (Bluesound Node 2i, other Mac laptops, iPad) but those are irrelevant for this issue (and I’m sitting at the iMac trying to make it work). I have an Orbi mesh network (which is also clearly irrelevant to this issue).

I’ve been using Roon for about a year and have constructed a fairly large playlist (~200 tracks) that I wanted to export to Excel. Only about 60 tracks appear in the spreadsheet, however. I’ve compared tracks and the ones that appear on the spreadsheet have different individual 3-dot choices. Particularly, they have “Export” and “Get File Info” options which aren’t there for the other tracks that don’t appear in the spreadsheet. If I go to the track listings however (not in the playlist) they have these options. That’s the only difference I can figure out. They all come from Tidal and are also similar appearing in Tidal. I’ve added all the tracks basically the same way, playing them in Roon and “adding to playlist”.

Thanks

I figured out that all the tracks that don’t export aren’t in my library (as noted on earlier threads I just found). I’m unclear why adding them to the playlist doesn’t add them to the library at the same time. Why would you want a playlist of tracks which weren’t in your library?

I tried adding one of the albums as an experiment (though only wanted one track) and still nothing changed in the playlist even when I re-added the track to the playlist.

1. What can I do now?
  2. How do I avoid this in the future when adding tracks?

Thanks again

From User Guide > Your Library > Export:

PS: There is even a “Export supported” point in the Focus tool (under Inspector).

Thanks. I figured that out. It just took me a while to figure out that adding a track to a playlist didn’t add it to the library.

I can manage the problem by going to the album, adding the entire album, and then re-adding the track (and deleting the differently formatted duplicate) but this is really tiresome.

Is there a way to just add a single track to the library and not the entire album in the first place? That way, in the future, I could avoid this.

You can select the track with a long-press or right-click and then add just the selection to the library instead of the entire album.

Thanks. I just tried this again and it doesn’t work. I highlight the track, go up to the dropdown and Add to Library then add to Playlist. But it appears a second time in the Playlist in the same non-library form. Only if I add the entire album first to the library and then (re)add the track does it appear in a form which is in the library (and amenable to export).

Hi @MichaelR,

At the present time, this is expected behavior. For you to be able to export tracks, they must be added to your library.

Since this appears to be "working as designed" I would recommend also posting your suggestion in the Feature Request section of the site.

Our product team and developers keep a close eye on that category, so that’s definitely the best place to propose a change like this and get feedback from the Community.

In the meantime, you may also want to try a playlist transfer service like Soundiiz to see if you can export and re-import as Roon in-library additions:

Thanks for the response. I don’t understand how it is “expected behavior” when you told me above that just one track can be added to the library but when I try your suggestion is appears that that isn’t the case. Which behavior is “expected”? The one you said or the one I found? I can’t request a “Feature” if I haven’t yet figured out if it’s there or not.

Thanks for the Soundiiz suggestion but this all started when I tried to export a playlist to Excel in order to pick it up with Soundiiz and I discovered that most of the playlist wasn’t appearing in the spreadsheet and figured out it was because they hadn’t been added to the library.

Hi @MichaelR,

This is the expected behavior here. It is a bit confusing, I know, but the issue here is that you can only export items in your library.

If you add the track twice after manually searching for it, you would have added the non-library version twice.

If the tracks appear in the TIDAL app, you should be able to interact with them in Soundiiz.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.