Problem importing playlists from iTunes Library.xml file [Ticket Open]

Hi,

I am using Roon 1.3 (build 234) stable (64-bit) on macOS Sierra 10.12.5.

I am having trouble importing my iTunes playlists from my iTunes Library.xml file. I followed the instructions here:

https://kb.roonlabs.com/iTunes

1. I have set the iTunes Media folder location in iTunes to store all the music files on my NAS (/Volumes/Multimedia/iTunes Librarys/NAS Master). I did a Library consolidation with iTunes and all my music files were copied to the NAS.

2. I copied the iTunes Library.xml file manually to this directory.

3. I have added the NAS network share to Roon and used the same directory (iTunes Librarys/NAS Master/) to add the NAS directory as a Storage and enabled “Import iTunes Playlists” option.

Unfortunately no playlists are imported (even though they seem to be in the .xml file).

Any ideas what I am doing wrong? Please help!

Thanks,

Chris

Hi @Christopher_Zapf ----- Thank you for the report and sharing your feedback with us, sorry to hear of the troubles.

Moving forward, we usually see this kind of behavior when Roon is unable to resolve the pathways in the playlist’s XML file. Can you please perform the following:

• Locate a single song that imported into Roon successfully that you know is also featured in the mentioned playlist.

• Verify it’s file path by navigating to the content in Roon and choosing “View file info” from the “3 dot menu” next to the track.

• Open up the iTunes XML and locate the same song that you’re viewing in Roon.

• Verify if the files paths match.

Let me know how it goes!
-Eric

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the quick answer. From what I can tell, the paths match, assuming “%20” means “space”:

This is the file path within Roon:

/Users/Toffi/Library/RoonMounts/RoonStorage_3657fc686376948ab89b56b5f70bfd715688cb62/iTunes Librarys/NAS Master/iTunes Media/Music/Compilations/Chef (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)/16 La Quimbumba (Live at el Jefe).m4a

This is the entry in the iTunes Library XML file:

<key>54111</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Track ID</key><integer>54111</integer>
			<key>Size</key><integer>12625519</integer>
			<key>Total Time</key><integer>365069</integer>
			<key>Disc Number</key><integer>1</integer>
			<key>Disc Count</key><integer>1</integer>
			<key>Track Number</key><integer>16</integer>
			<key>Track Count</key><integer>17</integer>
			<key>Year</key><integer>2014</integer>
			<key>Date Modified</key><date>2015-08-17T07:00:04Z</date>
			<key>Date Added</key><date>2014-09-18T16:50:06Z</date>
			<key>Bit Rate</key><integer>256</integer>
			<key>Sample Rate</key><integer>44100</integer>
			<key>Play Count</key><integer>51</integer>
			<key>Play Date</key><integer>3582452951</integer>
			<key>Play Date UTC</key><date>2017-07-09T11:49:11Z</date>
			<key>Skip Count</key><integer>2</integer>
			<key>Release Date</key><date>2014-05-14T07:00:00Z</date>
			<key>Compilation</key><true/>
			<key>Artwork Count</key><integer>1</integer>
			<key>Persistent ID</key><string>CA3BD50F7D875983</string>
			<key>Track Type</key><string>File</string>
			<key>Purchased</key><true/>
			<key>File Folder Count</key><integer>5</integer>
			<key>Library Folder Count</key><integer>1</integer>
			<key>Name</key><string>La Quimbumba (Live at el Jefe)</string>
			<key>Artist</key><string>Perico Hernandez</string>
			<key>Album Artist</key><string>Various Artists</string>
			<key>Composer</key><string>José Hernández</string>
			<key>Album</key><string>Chef (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)</string>
			<key>Genre</key><string>Original Score</string>
			<key>Kind</key><string>Matched AAC audio file</string>
			<key>Location</key><string>file:///Users/Toffi/Library/RoonMounts/RoonStorage_3657fc686376948ab89b56b5f70bfd715688cb62/iTunes%20Librarys/NAS%20Master/iTunes%20Media/Music/Compilations/Chef%20(Original%20Motion%20Picture%20Soundtrack)/16%20La%20Quimbumba%20(Live%20at%20el%20Jefe).m4a</string>
		</dict>

Any ideas, what could be the problem? Is there a way to debug what is happening during scanning/import of the xml file?

Thanks,

Chris

Hi @Christopher_Zapf ----- Thank you for following up with me and my apologies for the slow response.

Moving forward, as per the request of our techs, I would like you to please dump us a set of logs using a command line flag as seen in the the instructions found here. The command line flag I would like you to use can be found below:

/Applications/Roon.app/Contents/MacOS/Roon -storagetrace

-Eric

Hi Eric,

This is the output from the command line:

00:00:00.000 Debug: Attempting to load library: /System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Foundation
00:00:00.033 Info:  Library[/System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Foundation] Loaded success => True
00:00:00.034 Debug: Attempting to load library: /System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/AppKit
00:00:00.036 Info:  Library[/System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/AppKit] Loaded success => True
00:00:02.564 Debug: Attempting to load framework: /System/Library/Frameworks/Cocoa.framework
00:00:02.610 Info:  Framework[/System/Library/Frameworks/Cocoa.framework] Loaded success => True
00:00:02.611 Debug: Attempting to load framework: /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework
00:00:02.647 Info:  Framework[/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework] Loaded success => True
00:00:02.648 Debug: Attempting to load library: libHIDRemoteNative.dylib
00:00:02.667 Info:  Library[libHIDRemoteNative.dylib] Loaded success => True
00:00:02.667 Debug: Attempting to load library: libSPMediaKeyTapNative.dylib
00:00:02.668 Info:  Library[libSPMediaKeyTapNative.dylib] Loaded success => True
(top) unknown chunk id: 

Here are the Roon Logs:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hqgvhpqhtgacesb/christopher_zapf_roon_logs.zip?dl=0

I hope this will give some clues why my playlists do not show up.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi @Christopher_Zapf ---- Thank you for the follow up!

I wanted to let you know that our devs have identified a bug here and a ticket is currently open with the team to investigate further. Once I have some feedback from the team, I will be sure to update this thread accordingly. Your patience is very appreciated!

-Eric

Hi @Christopher_Zapf ---- Touching base to let you know that a fix has been set into place and is pending our next release that should address this issue :sunglasses:

Happy listening!
-Eric

Thanks for the follow up. Eagerly waiting for the new release to try it out and report back!

Cheers,

Chris

Ahem :wink:

Hello @mike and @Eric,

just updated my Roon core to Build 247. Unfortunately it did not fix my problem. Still no imported playlist from my iTunes.

Or do I have to do something in addition to just updating the core?

Regards,

Chris

Hi @Christopher_Zapf ---- Thank you for the feedback and I am sorry to hear that the new build has not yielded a change in behavior here. We definitely want to take a closer look into this for you.

Moving forward, I would very kindly like you to please perform the following:

• Go into “settings” -> “storage” -> click the “3 dots” for the watched folder containing the playlists -> toggle “import itunes playlists” to OFF

• Close edit window to apply changes.

• Go into “settings” -> “storage” -> click the “3 dots” for the watched folder containing the playlists -> toggle “import itunes playlists” to ON

• Close edit window to apply changes.

If the playlists are still unavailable…New Set of logs:

• Following the instructions found here, launch Roon using the specified command line flag (see just below).

` -storagetrace`

• After Roon has been launched with the command line flag, please send us a set of logs.

-Eric

Hi @Eric,

This is the output from command line:

mac-server:MacOS Toffi$ ./Roon -storagetrace
00:00:00.000 Debug: Attempting to load library: /System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Foundation
00:00:00.030 Info:  Library[/System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Foundation] Loaded success => True
00:00:00.031 Debug: Attempting to load library: /System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/AppKit
00:00:00.034 Info:  Library[/System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/AppKit] Loaded success => True
00:00:03.249 Debug: Attempting to load framework: /System/Library/Frameworks/Cocoa.framework
00:00:03.253 Info:  Framework[/System/Library/Frameworks/Cocoa.framework] Loaded success => True
00:00:03.253 Debug: Attempting to load framework: /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework
00:00:03.255 Info:  Framework[/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework] Loaded success => True
00:00:03.255 Debug: Attempting to load library: libHIDRemoteNative.dylib
00:00:03.314 Info:  Library[libHIDRemoteNative.dylib] Loaded success => True
00:00:03.314 Debug: Attempting to load library: libSPMediaKeyTapNative.dylib
00:00:03.315 Info:  Library[libSPMediaKeyTapNative.dylib] Loaded success => True
(top) unknown chunk id: 
atom with <8 bytes is invalid

The Roon logs can be found here:

Cheers,

Chris

Hi @Eric,

just noticed that the playlists appeared now. Seems like starting Roon from command line with -storagetrace made it work. Weird!

Could it be, that this flag changes something in regards to playlist import?

Cheers,

Chris

Could it be, that this flag changes something in regards to playlist import?

No, but application restart could trigger the change. It looks like this issue is resolved, please, confirm.

Regards,
Vova

1 Like

Hi @vova,

It actually seems like it just takes very long until the playlists show up. I did not catch yet how long it takes exactly, but it definitely takes +15 minutes after the storage scan has ended.

So I can confirm, it looks like the issue is somewhat resolved, even though it is a bit irritating that importing playlists take that long. Maybe some kind of playlist import status messages would be useful in the storage section.

Thanks,

Chris

Hello @Christopher_Zapf,

Thanks for an update here. I’ll talk to the dev team about timing issue.Will keep you posted.