Problem with Roon and Nucleus + tracks loading slowly

Benjamin
Thanks
I will get you that info when I get home from work.
Haven’t looked at that list in awhile though I did notice a red “corrupt” next to a few tracks on the list of tracks
Appreciate the work you are doing in this
I’m determined to do what’s necessary to finally figure all this out
Tom

Benjamin-
here is the screen shot you requested.Im a little disappointed that there are no tracks listed. I should say I have been trying all sorts of things to fix my issues. The latest is from another user who contends ROON cant handle folders with over 10,000 tracks in each storage location. so the picture im sending you is from 9 storage locations that include 53,000 tracks.
despite the users tip and no corrupted tracks I am still having the same issues. Last night a track was selected via Shuffle and after 2.5 minutes of waiting for it to play I just gave up.
Thank you for the suggestion. Please let me know what the next step might be.

Add images

trying this morning-
for 3 songs in shuffle things perfect. songs selected and began playing immediately. But 4th has been trying to play for over a minute now…so bizarre.
this is with 53,000 tracks scattered over 11 storage locations on my NAS…now over 2 minutes and track still attempting to play.

And I’ll be the 1st person to say this is an “apples to Oranges comparison” but its confusing as to why the APP for my streamer has zero issues playing from the same library and hasn’t this whole time

1 Like

Benjamin
Wondering what you and your team are thinking might be going on?

Even just broadly.
I’m certainly not expert but it would seem it’s

-my Library

-my nucleus+

-my network

Any thoughts on which of those?

It does work fine for brief moments which makes it hard to pin down.

I’m currently loading another external drive with the database that is on my NAS now.

The 1st drive I used had track loading issues
So I’m using another drive to rule out the HD.

It’s just music but boy is it frustrating

Anyway

Main point of this communication is to check in with you to see what you guys are thinking

Thank you

Tom

Apologies
Do u think we can rule out my network given my Silent angel streamer app works perfectly?

Hey @thomas_clark1,

Thank you for your continued updates. As you mention, due to the nature of the issue not being consistent, it’s hard to pin down specifically where the issue lies.

Overall, it seems that a smaller library allows for things to perform properly. This points us more toward your library, the NAS, or the Nucleus itself.

Could you provide more information around this? You are loading a backup to an external drive to test restoring? Or, are you migrating a copy of your local library to a new external drive for testing?

Although your core diagnostics haven’t yet pointed us to a specific cause just yet, it may be good to take another look. If you could, please reproduce the issue and share the specific date, time, and name of the track.

Thanks, Thomas!

Hi Ben
So…I’ve created a folder of about 50,000 tracks.
I’m going to try this folder on NAS.
I suspect it’s going to have the same issues

1. navigation within controller slow…access of track, artist, album lists

2. extended time (minutes) for music to start playing once song selected.

IF this database has issues I’m going to load it on an external HD and connect it to my Nucleus and see if the issues still exist.

IF issues exists with NAS and external then
I guess that means it’s an issue with the database files or the Nucleus+.

If everything ok on external drive then it’s something to do with the NAS?

does all that sound reasonable?

I realize that ROON and my Silent Angel VITOS system likely work in completely different ways…but do you find it odd that things perfect with the Silent Angel system?

Also,
There is a cost ($$$) associated with use of Roon.
Are we getting to a point where we have to admit I may never be able to use ROON with my entire library?

If we are getting to this point please let me know
It sounds as though we might be.
If so it would be a bummer but such is life
I’m trying to not pay for a service that doesn’t work.
So should I be thinking about just selling my Nucleus and stop using Room and go with my streamer OS instead…?
It works great but falls way short of Roons interface
You guys are pretty busy
It could be another 3 months of trying to troubleshoot this with no guarantee of any solution
It’s a tough process when it’s 3-5 days go between communications…and I don’t doubt you are busy

Thanks again
Tom

Wish we could have a real discussion via phone etc but …
If Roon doesn’t identify any corrupted or skipped tracks can we conclude that there are no issues with my database?

Or could there be problems that Roon wouldn’t indicate or display?

Ok this is a perfect of example of my Roon problem with a library on my NAS of 45,220 tracks

3/30/2023

1834 Using shuffle the track “gd79-09-01d1t02” is seleced. In then takes ! minute 28 sec for music to begin playing

18:37 Shuffle elects Fire on the mountain 1981-05-05 Civic center> Music begins 55 sec later

1838: Shuffle selects One more saturday night 1983-04-16 and music begins playing 55 secs later

1844: shuffle selects 1979-11-05 SBD and music begins immediately.

This is my experience as well as navigation within a controller taking mintues when looking at tracks, artists, or albums.

Thank you

After testing, even if you use 8 folders, it doesn’t help. There are still various errors, freezes, and database connection errors. As long as all 8 files are opened, there will be problems. In the end, I choose the music in a small folder, about 1.1 About 10,000 songs, the other 7 folders have been removed, so it is very smooth to use. I feel that this machine cannot handle too large a file storage, it is only suitable for a small file library. The main performance is that the file import speed is slow when there are too many files, and then the playback speed is slow, and there are database connection errors. I have done it in the past 2 months. I have tried a lot of tests and various methods provided by the forum, but there is no effect. I am very disappointed with this machine for my 5T capacity of more than 70,000 large-scale music.

So I tested with 10 folders open. Same issues.
So are you saying you turn folders on and off based on what you want to listen to?
If true that’s nuts
And if Roon can truly only operate in this fashion then that’s a real Shame.
Again…
The nucleus+ is advertised for libraries over 100,000 tracks.
Is this just an untruth?
I’ve been getting help from Roon support on this
If what you are saying is true then why don’t they know that and just tell me instead of trying to help me get to a functional status that doesn’t exist?

I’m not discounting your perspective and really appreciate you taking the time but it just seems “nuts”. At the same time Roon support has admitted they don’t know what’s going on with my system. So I definitely can’t tell you this can’t be true.

Ben-
Could you comment on this post from another user?
He contends Roon can’t handle large folders. So he splits his library into multiple folders and turns them on and off when he wants to listen to music in them.
I can’t see this as being true…if true you would think the support section would be lit up by multiple users each day.
Despite having trouble believing this (nucleus + sold for Libraries>100,000 tracks.
But anyway would you read his thoughts and tell me what you think?

“After testing, even if you use 8 folders, it doesn’t help. There are still various errors, freezes, and database connection errors. As long as all 8 files are opened, there will be problems. In the end, I choose the music in a small folder, about 1.1 About 10,000 songs, the other 7 folders have been removed, so it is very smooth to use. I feel that this machine cannot handle too large a file storage, it is only suitable for a small file library. The main performance is that the file import speed is slow when there are too many files, and then the playback speed is slow, and there are database connection errors. I have done it in the past 2 months. I have tried a lot of tests and various methods provided by the forum, but there is no effect. I am very disappointed with this machine for my 5T capacity of more than 70,000 large-scale music.”

Thx again though
It’s a decent troubleshooting step
I plan to try and just play a single folder this weekend with the others shut off and see how it goes

Mistake please delete.

The one thing we seem to have teased out is the issues linked to number of tracks.
Just now when shuffling library of 8,000 tracks vs one of 1200 tracks.

The time it took to begin playing a track once selected was much shorter with the smaller Library

This would seem the network and NAS ok but it’s a matter of computing power…the NAS or Nucleus+?

Benjamin-
I plan on doing lots of testing this weekend and hope to provide you guys with data that will help fix all this:

1st scenario: 1508 FLAC tracks in single folder on NAS
I shuffled 7 songs. things seemed ok with a max of 3-5 seconds after a track chosen for music to begin playing. I dont know if music should begin instantaneously or 3-5 sec is the norm?

Navigation within the controller is fine when going between tracks, albums and artist areas

2nd scenario: 45,220 FLAC files on my NAS in 9 different storage locations.
so far when shuffling things fine. The only outlier was at 853 on 4/1/23 >track gd79-12-05 d2t05 took 8 seconds to begin playing.

Abnormalities:
@ 0919 on 4/1/23 when i selected “tracks” I was met with the spinning Roon symbol. i have it 2 minutes and gave up when it did not go away.

@ 0921 I then clicked on “home” and got the spinning Roon symbol for 46 sec before it went away.

My conclusions: NAS and network are not the issue?
I think one can draw this conclusion…what do you think?
That would leave us with the library or the nucleus?
as you know with NAS, Nucleus, network , and library this can be a challenge and i think it important to rule out any of those entities. So do you agree the NAS and network are ok?

I plan on adding more tracks through out the weekend and see if there is a point where things start falling apart.

Thanks again for helping me through this

unfortunately all that did not last long

4/1/23 1008 >Terrapin station 1977-05-22 track selected and it has now been over 2 minutes and it has not yet played…bummer

thanks-hopefully you can see this and glean something from it

I also believe the fact that my streamer app works perfectly that the network and NAS are not the issue

It’s the Database or the Nucleus+