Problems connecting to Roon CORE on updating

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Grimm LS1BE and Dutch & Dutch 8C via Network
Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Description Of Issue

After updating ROON Core none of my devices can connect and/or there is a problem with Roon Core. It will connect for 1 second then out. Restarted Roon Core twice.

It’s not the network. Volumio is playing networked files (from the MU1) just fine via a miniDSP.

Hi @Aaron_Garrett,

What kind of devices are you trying to connect to your Core? Can you let me know the model/manufacturer of your Roon Remotes/Clients?

How is your network configured here? What is the model/manufacturer of your router, switches, access points, ect?

Google Mesh. Lan cable to Core. The network is not the problem.

Trying to connect Mac computers, Android phone, and IPad. All the same results.

Hi @Aaron_Garrett,

Thanks for confirming.
Can you please check to see if your GRIMM Core is up to date on newest firmware?

The Grimm is up to date on the newest firmware. I can’t access the ROON Core on the Grimm.

Hi @Aaron_Garrett,

Thank you for confirming that aspect.

As a follow-up step I have gone ahead and activated diagnostics mode for your account and what this action does is automatically upload a set of logs to our servers for analysis.

I can confirm that this report has been received and I’m seeing some issues surrounding this folder: /mnt/sda1/flac/Agujetas/Cantaor/.

Can I please ask that you move this folder out of your GRIMM, reboot the Core and let me know if that helps with the issue? Page 13 of the MU1 Manual provides instructions on how to access the storage via a PC.

Note: Please do not delete this folder, but just move it out of the GRIMM Storage, because if we identify this folder to be problematic I would kindly request it for QA purposes.

Thanks! Will do when I get home in a few minutes.

1 Like

The problem seems to be persisting.

Hi @Aaron_Garrett,

Can you please try moving this folder as well?
/mnt/sda1/flac/Au Pairs/

Done. Same problem though.

Hi @Aaron_Garrett,

Sorry to hear that the issue is still the same. I can confirm that new diagnostics have reached out servers and I have requested QA to take another look at them, I will be sure to let you know once I hear back, appreciate your patience!

1 Like

Any word on this? Still Roon-less.

Hi @Aaron_Garrett,

I spoke to QA recently and they believe that this issue could be database-related. In situations like these, we typically have users set aside their current Roon database and request the old database for analysis.

Since you are using a non-standard Core, I can’t guarantee that these instructions will work exactly the same, but if this doesn’t work please reach out to Grimm for clarification on how to set the database aside.

  • Navigate to your Grimm’s Roon’s Database Location using a PC
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Copy this folder over to your PC and create a .zip file of it (more info on uploading database)
  • Send us the .zip file of the database
  • Go back to the Grimm and rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Roon database folder
  • Verify if the same behavior occurs with a fresh database in place


Thanks. I’m not sure how to navigate it, only the “music” file shows up on my Mac, but I will figure it out.

1 Like

I managed to do this with the help of @Justin_V but the problem persists. Should I send you the Dropbox link to the zipped database?

Now Roon is running again, after making the database switch with the help of @Justin_V.

1 Like

Hi @Aaron_Garrett,

Glad to hear that you have been able to make the database switch with the help of Justin!
I can confirm I received your dropbox link, I will forward this to QA for closer inspection.

I suggest to keep using the new database until QA’s investigation is complete, but if you wish to try one of your older database backups that might help (but it is possible that you may also want to keep running with the fresh one to avoid this potential issue re-occuring until the investigation is complete).

Please leave the file in your dropbox until this reaches QA’s queue. Thanks!

Hi @Aaron_Garrett,

We’ve recently released Roon 1.7 (Build 511) which includes changes that should improve this behavior. Please try using your old database and let us know how it goes!

You can read the full release notes here:

The Team at Roon Labs

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.