Problems with missing tracks and albums when used for Tidal

I have a few issues with Roon and i’m hoping that someone can help. I am currently on a 14 day trial. I use Roon almost exclusively with Tidal. when I connected and set it up right … the sound quality is exceptional, a massive improvement… however …

1. I cannot add any tracks, albums or artists to my favourites. Do you need to do this in the tidal app?

2. Lots of artwork missing for artists and album covers

3. Many of my current favourite albums only show 1 or 2 tracks when I know there are dozens on tidal, and the same for some artists. I see from this forum that it has been an issue for many before, and I have tried flushing the cache etc … and for many I read it was never resolved.

I really love the app and would like to keep it, however Roon do charge a premium for their service, and some of the responses I have read talk as if this is some kind of open source, free project. So I’m hoping I can resolve this so I can continue and pay after my trial has ended.

Any ideas?

Hi Jason,

1. When you say favourites, do you mean clicking the Heart next to an album or track in Roon, or do you mean having the artist, album or track as a favourite in Tidal with the highlighted star? In either case, with an album or track you need to Add to Library in Roon. Then after the next sync, it will show as a favourite in the Tidal app. I don’t believe you can favourite (Tidal favourite) an Artist from within the Roon app though.

2. This shouldn’t really occur. If you favourite an album in Tidal, the album with artwork should show in Roon (after the next sync). If there’s no artwork on some of the albums, try restarting the Roon core app. If that doesn’t work, click the 3 dots next to the album, select Edit and then Identify the album. Not all artists have artwork. If there’s artwork missing for a major artist, let us know.

3. Can you give us an example of an album with only a couple of tracks showing? Maybe a screenshot.

Cheers, Greg

1 Like

there are quite a few albums/artists without artwork and no amount of deleting chaches and reloading makes any difference. In my tidal fav list (not that big) there is only one artist without artwork out of 30, in roon there are about 10-15 including Dub Syndicate, James Taylor Quartet, Mozez, Slow readers club and Noirway to name but a few, who are all fairly big artists. There are just too many glitches really when it interacts with Tidal (i understand that this may not all be the fault of Roon) … is there any lower cost options with just the transport and outputs in the pipeline, so you can use the tidal app routed through your software?

Hi Jason,

No, there isn’t currently any stripped down version of Roon.

I’m surprised at the large number of glitches you’re seeing with the Tidal integration. Yes, there can be quite a few artist pics missing, but that’s from Roon’s metadata source. However, your can use Roon to Edit the artist and add your own pics you already have or find on the net.

I have yet to add an album from Tidal and not get the album cover. Again, however, you can add your own.

Just to clarify, I’m a user like yourself. I just volunteer my time to moderate the forum and help out when I can.

Cheers, Greg

After much playing around … there is a lot to love about Roon. I can see what they are trying to achieve, and got very excited with remote operation, until I realised that it can only work on the same network.

Making it truly remote so you could access your core through a mobile connection would be a great idea, are there any plans to do this?

It is plagued by missing artwork, But no biggy to add it yourself I suppose.

Hi Jason,

A mobile solution for Roon is on the roadmap, but nothing has been announced yet. It may be a while, since Roon is a small company and they have a lot of features planned.

Cheers, Greg

Hey @Jason_Southard – are you still having both of these issues?

Can you let me know some specifics about which content is missing, where you’re located, and what setup you’re running, as described here? I’m sure we can look into this further and extend your trial out a bit while we investigate.

There is a known issue right now where alternate versions of the same TIDAL album can be hidden in Roon (meaning if TIDAL has the clean and dirty version, you might only see one), but I know the work to address that issue is in @joel’s queue.

There’s a relatively outdated overview of how TIDAL and Roon work together here. Since that post we’ve made significant improvements to our equivalence matching and we now retrieve new TIDAL data daily. We’re really proud of our TIDAL integration, but we’re still working every day to improve it.

Either way, thanks for the feedback @Jason_Southard!

I have figured out that most of them can be found by pressing the ‘other versions’ button, not ideal, but then the full album appears. The Tidal integration is the best thing about roon for me. I can imagine it is a tricky thing to keep on top of. But although at first I didn’t get it, I am trying to use roon to it’s full capacity and it is growing on me … if you could extend the trial that would be great. I am located in the UK. I use roon Mainly through my core which is a PC. Which then channels to an DAC and then to hifi. I have a 2nd set up in my office, also on a PC and to a DAC. Then finally I use it in the bedroom using APTX bluetooth from my phone to a speaker system.

I have been using it a lot, and you kind of get used to a few glitches …if it had the capacity to access your core from another network (in the car on a mobile network for example) then I would be totally in love with it. I hope this is in development?

thanks for the help

Ive also noticed a strange thing a couple of times. Some albums only have the first minute or so of every song?? The latest one I found is by Morcheeba, Head Up High. Any ideas?

Yes, these kinds of features are absolutely on our roadmap.

I can reproduce this – it looks like incorrect track times are being displayed. The whole track will play, but I’ve opened a ticket in our bug trackers to look into the display issues. Thanks for the report!

The whole song doesn’t always play, I was listening to a Morcheeba album in the background, and I realised it kept skipping… I’ve seen it a few times, but not for a few weeks now