Problems with Roon playing to Linn Majik DSM

Already rebooted the Majik a couple times. Will look at the Audio settings tonight to make sure they appear as you showed in the screenshot.

Hi @John_H_Sea,

Are you on the correct subnet for Linn streaming? I would check your Roon Settings -> Setup -> Subnet for Linn Streaming setting.

Catching up on two questions:

1. How does the Linn appear in Roon? It’s enabled via Roon streaming.

2. Settings for “Subnet for Linn Streaming”? Looks correct - Linn IP address and subnet setting are lining up with the Roon setting. And I only have one subnet in my network design - 192.168.86.xxx

Other ideas? You all want to enable logging and then have me try again to play music?

John

1 Like

Hey all - a week since last response. What else can you think of to try?

Hi @John_H_Sea,

Thank you for the information and apologies for the delay in getting back to you here due to the holidays. I’ve just enabled diagnostics mode for your Core and I can confirm that a log set was delivered to our servers.

I believe I located an relevant error trace here and I’ve requested additional feedback from our technical team. It may take a bit longer than expected for them to review this due to the holidays, but once that’s been done we’ll reach out again. Thank you and Happy Holidays!

I had this problem for a long time with my previous configuration which had Linn Akurate DSM connected to Windows 10 core. I even bought new NIC to my PC (Intel I210) and disabled the integrated NIC on motherboard. I was able to make it quite stable but always when you update NIC drivers, problems might still appear. I still use the same ADSM but now with QNAP NAS running the core and I’ve had zero problems with this configuration.

Anyway, you should try to fiddle with advanced NIC settings. You can find these by right clicking My Computer on desktop -> Manage -> Device Manager -> Network adapters. From there, select your network adapter, right click and open Properties. Now navigate to Advanced tab.

From there, disable all power saving features like Green Ethernet and Energy Efficient Ethernet. I also disabled Interrupt Moderation and raised the Receive and Transmit buffer values. This helped for me but I can’t say for sure it will help for you, give it a try.

1 Like

@noris, thanks for the reply and no worries on timing. The thread went dark and wanted to make sure my issue didn’t fall through the cracks. I run a tech support team in my day job and understand holiday coverage, appreciate all you folks do. :sunglasses:

Thanks for the idea @patouskii - I will give this a try if the Roon folks don’t find any smoking guns but don’t have high hopes. FWIW, the core I’m using is one of our old laptops. We just moved and I used the same core in our old place with no problems. My core is connected to the streamer via a Gigabit switch downstream of the WiFi router in both the old and new home, with no changes to the core’s NIC configuration. My clients (another Win 10 laptop and an iPhone) both see the core just fine too.

1 Like

@noris, any update on your end after logging was enabled? I’ve tried to play tracks once (unsuccessfully again) since you all turned on logging so hopefully you have some data to look at.

1 Like

Hi @John_H_Sea,

Happy New Year! I see that you case is still pending some feedback from our technical team, apologies for the delay due to the holiday queue, I will ping the team and I hope to have some feedback here for you in the next few days. Thanks for your patience!

Trying to not be annoying but it’s been 12 days with no update. What’s going on? I’m getting no value right now out of my lifetime subscription - was happy previously when it was working but such slow support is not acceptable.

Did you try to fiddle with the NIC advanced settings?

I wouldn’t hold my breath with a fix from Roon/Linn. I had similar problem two years ago and I made ticket about it but nothing could ever be fixed. At that point there was already few threads describing the problems with Linn streaming. Mine was that playback stops after 2-3 tracks played and/or 1-2 seconds before track ends.

@noris, please provide an update on my case ASAP. Been too long and I’m getting pretty frustrated.

@patouskii, I modified the NIC settings as recommended, no change in behavior. Roon sees the Linn streamer and even sees things like volume status (e.g. when I change the Linn’s volume, the Roon app updates instantly). But playing music to the Linn as an endpoint does not even begin - it tries to play a song, waits at 0:00 time, times out, tries the next in the queue, etc. etc.

Hello @John_H_Sea,

Apologies for the delay in reply here, I had to check with our team regarding your case. According to the logs, it appears that you are running into the same issue with Linn streaming that we’re aware of and working with Linn on, and this investigation is in progress.

The team has asked if you can please confirm if Airplay to your Linn zone is stable, as that would provide some more context here if just the Linn protocol is impacted or if other protocols like Airplay are as well. Can you please let me know this info when you have a chance?

I don’t typically use AirPlay but can test tonight, will let you know. Thanks!

1 Like

Enabled the Linn in Ron via AirPlay and it works as expected. Problem must be with the Linn.

1 Like

Hi @John_H_Sea ,

Thanks for confirming that Airplay works as expected, I’ve forwarded this observation to the team for the investigation!

Any update on the issue? Is it actively being worked, or are the devs all heads down on 1.8 cleanup?

Unless a fix got shipped in 1.8 - I’d love if that were true :slight_smile:

Hi @John_H_Sea ,

No changes in 1.8 regarding this issue unfortunately, but we are still actively looking into this with Linn.

Thanks @noris.

For the diagnostic logging you enabled, are those logs stored locally on Core in a spot where I could pull them? Since progress on your end is so slow I’d like to examine them myself and potentially open up a support case with Linn directly. I’ve spent a lot of money with them and you all, their product is still listed as “Roon Tested,” and is not working. Not happy with either of your companies right now.

Hi @John_H_Sea ,

Yes, Roon logs are accessible by using these instructions.