Progress bar freeze on iPad

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
2018 i7 Mac mini. Roon Core, B537
2018 iPad. Roon Remote, B537

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Connected via Ethernet.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Schiit Yggdrasil DAC.

Description Of Issue
Progress bar on iPad remote freezes but music keeps playing. Happens every time I use it.

If I close the Roon app and open back up it works until I switch to another app on the iPad while Roon is on in the background.

When I switch back to Roon I find the progress bar frozen but music is still playing. Everything works except the progress bar on the ipad.

Hi @Rumpole,

What DAC are you playing to? Does this same issue occur for multiple zones in Roon or does it just affect the USB DAC zone? Is the USB DAC connected directly to the iPad or is it connected to the Core?

How much time do you spend in the other app? Is it just a quick less than 30 second switch between Roon and Chrome for example or do you spend 5+ minutes in the other app and then switch back to Roon and this issue occurs? I’m trying to better understand the time-frame here.

Hi, noris!
My core is on a 2018 mac mini connected via usb to a Schiit Yggdrasil DAC. DAC is not connected to ipad. It affects only USB DAC zone. Not connected to other zones. ipad acts as Roon remote for the core.

It doesn’t matter weather I spend 30 seconds or 5 minutes in another app (such as chrome or news app) it happens.

Hi @Rumpole,

If you try starting playback to the iPad’s internal speakers, are you able to reproduce this behavior for that zone?

I hate to sound like a boob, but I don’t know how to start playback to the iPad’s internal speakers.

Hi @Rumpole,

• Open the Roon app on your iPad
  • Go to Settings -> Audio
  • Enable the iPad zone
  • Go back to your library
  • Press the "speaker’ icon in the bottom right corner
  • Select the iPad zone
  • Start playback to the iPad zone
  • Verify if the same behavior occurs

Yep. Same behavior when playing back through ipad speakers.

Hi @Rumpole,

Can you please reproduce this issue on the iPad’s speakers and note the exact local time + date + track you see it occur on? I’d like to enable diagnostics for your account after getting the timestamp.

7:46 p.m. central time, track #7, Wed. 5/6/20. BTW, this issue occurs when playing from local library and Tidal.

Hi @Rumpole,

Thanks for letting me know the timestamp! I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action will do is next time your Core is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis. Please also open up Roon on the iPad when you have a chance so that those logs can be delivered as well, thanks!

P.S: This was not an issue before the last update. And thanks for your help, noris.

1 Like

Hi @Rumpole,

It doesn’t looks like the iPad logs came in yet, can you please open the Roon app on your iPad when you have a chance and let me know once you have done so here?

Noris, Roon on my ipad is always open. Does it need to be playing through the ipad speakers?

Hi @Rumpole - Looks like logs for the iPad just came in :+1:.
Let me get these over to QA for further review and once I hear back from QA, I’ll follow up here.
Thanks for your patience!

Thank you for your help.

1 Like

Hello @Rumpole,

I appreciate your patience until your case was reviewed by QA. They have attempted to reproduce your findings on their end, but have not been able to do so yet, so a bit more information is needed for us to proceed. Can I please ask:

1. For a screen recording of this issue? You can use Apple’s built-in screen recorder to record the video and upload it to Dropbox / Google Drive.

2. Can you please confirm if this issue also happens when you lock and un-lock the iPad screen, without switching between the Roon app and another one?

Thanks!

Hi @Rumpole,

Thank you for sharing that video. I am looking over it and I noticed that you have a VPN active (in the top right-corner) of your screen.

Can you please confirm if this issue occurs with the VPN off as well? Roon requires both Core and Remotes to be on the same subnet to function properly.

Also, I didn’t see the progress bar moving at all in the video, you mentioned that this works until you exit the app the first time?

Here is another video with the vpn off on the core and the ipad.https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ldhf5q34s2emb7b/AADx5gaJgKqB8v_xGP4OSqwMa?dl=0

Strange, huh?

Thanks for testing with the VPN off @Rumpole, I’ll get this video over to QA.

The last question which remains unanswered for now:

If you could please let me know this as well, it would be useful to mention in your case notes.

Thanks!