Proper Roon setup for a stereo pair of Devialet Phantom 103s

Looking for the optimum setup for Roon into my Phantoms.
Should Roon be set as decoder only or something else?
Want to have as little in the signal path into SAM and ADH in the speakers.

Thank you!

I have my pair set up as decoder only and hers a signal path.
More steps than normal as it’s downgrading 96 to 48.

Yeah, There’s got to be a way to not sample back to 48kHz since Phantoms can accept 96kHz, right?

Not quite correct.
Used as a single unit they can play 96, once paired in stereo they can only handle 48 max.

This is news to me. Clearly I’ll need to just root around bit.

It’s definitely the case on the 95,s I own, maybe the 103 are different but I don’t think so.
Certainly please share if you find out anything else.
To my knowledge that’s how they work at least through Roon since the last big Devialet software update.

1 Like

I’ll play around this evening and share…

I was hoping someone here had discovered the setup already…LOL

I have my Phantoms set as having no MQA support and it appears Roon maximizes the quality!

On mqa titles quite possibly, don’t know I use Qobuz or local files only.
Try a non mqa file of 96 or 192khz and let’s see what signal path looks like?

Edit. I just set to no mqa support and it made no change, still down sampled the 96 to 48.

Turn off sample rate conversion in MUSE?

I have never used any sample rate conversion with the Phantoms.
What you see in the signal path is what Devialet is doing.

Hello,
I have two phantom silver stereos
Direct

only 48/24
Connected by optical cable to chromcast audio 96/24
Only through toslink goes 96/24

Phantoms accept up to 24/96 but only in Direct Optical Mode, which bypasses DOS and requires an optical connection direct to the speaker (no streaming, no app, no remote volume control etc.). All inputs under DOS downsample anything above 24/48 to 24/48, see here for a fairly lengthy discussion on the topic which arose when Devialet introduced a bug (now fixed) which stopped Roon reporting the downsampling fooling some people into thinking the restriction had been removed. IIRC this restriction was introduced in DOS 2 to improve stability in stereo pairs over wireless.

It is a bit of a mystery why Roon offers those MQA configuration options for a device they themselves have certified as Roon Ready and that is well known to have no MQA capabilities whatsoever (so changing the settings has absolutely no effect). See posts 26 onwards in the same thread.

Since Phantoms don’t support MQA there is no circumventing the 24/48 downsampling, even with MQA encoded material. The only way to render higher resolution material on a current Phantom is with Direct Optical Mode.