PS Audio Junior dropouts via USB

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Mac Mini as Roon core.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Ethernet.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
PS Audio DirectStream DAC Junior.

Description Of Issue

PS Audio DAC is dropping out as output. Connected to Mac Mini (Roon core) via USB. Mac is not dropping out so it’s not a network connectivity issue. Happening intermittently but once it happens after reboot it happens regularly.

Hi @Derek_Brown,

Does system output work without dropouts?

Is this happening for all content, local and streaming (TIDAL/Qobuz)?

Hi Dylan
Yes I switched to system output to eliminate dropouts and this worked but sound quality was inferior. I then enabled my Mac Mini and PS Audio Dac as core and chose the same PS Audio Dac as the zone. Again, no drop outs but sound quality not where it was.
Both Mac Mini and PS DAC are set as renderer and decoder. Is this the correct and optimal setup?
When I turn the PS Audio Dac back on it shows up as a separate Roon Ready device - I assume this is a network bridged option? And when I select this I am getting dropouts as a bridged component and not via USB.
Apologies for the rambling reply - kind of working and thinking my way through this as I write.

No idea if this is relevant, are you doing any DSP ?

Thanks Ged. No I’m not. And the dropouts have been sporadic and not confined to MQA files or even tidal. But thanks for the note and just to be safe, I’ve changed my PS Dac to decoder only for MQA.

Hi @Derek_Brown,

I think the next step here is to enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before I enable this feature, I’d like to ask for your help ensuring we gather the right information.

First, can you please reproduce the issue once more and note the time at which the error occurs. Then respond here with that time, and I’ll make sure we review the diagnostics related to that timestamp.

Hi Dylan
It’s just occurred now - 10.02am Sydney, Australia AEDST. This time was different in that there was an audible click and the DAC remained visible on the app as a zone but with no sound. Note this is while playing via the PS Audio DAC bridge input. I’ve switched to USB input and selected this via the Roon controller and is again stable, albeit slightly lesser sound quality.
Thanks

Hi @Derek_Brown,

Now that I have the timestamps, diagnostics have been enabled on your account. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

Please note that, due to the holidays, the queue for the technical team is a bit longer than typical, so we appreciate your patience as we look into this.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.