QNAP - Not Showing Local Folders Anymore [See Staff Post - Fix is released]

Roon is totally broken for me now. After I restored my backup, I once again can’t access my core. It’s just the endless loading jellyfish.

After I deleted Roon on QNAP earlier and removed the Roon database folder manually, I was able to reinstall, open Roon and start scanning my files again. But now after restoring from backup for few hours, it’s not working again.

1 Like

@beka Things get (understandable) heated. Could you give an update or advice people how best to proceed?

2 Likes

Update: Now in the morning I can once again access the core. I left the core running overnight with the loading jellyfish icon and now in the morning it just works. It’s probably better to not install any updates or reboot the NAS before there’s working fix for this issue.

Glad it’s working! This could actually be down to Roon needing to rebuild the database on your moderately powerful NAS. Don’t remember your library size, but for me it takes a few minutes even on an Core i5 when this is called for?

Yes actually after the reinstall and backup restore, at some point I did get the “database needs to be updated” message but it showed on the screen for only few minutes. After that it was back to loading jellyfish. My library size is 3700 albums / 45000 tracks.

Anyway the biggest problem is that after the QTS update from 5.0.0.1850 to 5.0.0.1853, I lost the contact to the core and got the loading jellyfish. I’ve installed numerous QTS updates before Build 846 and 850 updates and never had any problems connecting to core after the updates. So something is still off with the current build.

1 Like

hmm I’m still on QTS 4.5.4.1800 and don’t have any problems
I think I will refrain from updating my QTS untill I’m sure this is solved…

Just as additional datapoint: I’m running my core on a QNAP NAS too, currently at QTS 5.0.0.1853. I never had issues whatsoever lately during the updates of QTS and Roon. So it looks like only a few members are having issues - sadly still with no clear conclusion what causes the trouble they face.

1 Like

I’m in the same position as @BlackJack, no issues during various firmware updates via QNAP or Roon. Currently running QTS 5.0.0.1853 & the 2021-10-03 qpkg. I know this wont be of any help to others who are having issues but worth mentioning just for the sake of balance.

I feel this might be a user privileges issue. I am experiencing these issues with the same QTS and Roon version as you. Can you please provide a short description of the users in your system and how Roon is running?

Contents of my Roon share:
grafik

Note: I specifically avoided the system default multimedia share because it is controlled and managed by QTS and QNAP’s preinstalled multimedia services and apps. I did this (avoid system default shares) for all the apps I installed myself, no matter if installed via QNAP app store, through other app stores or as docker images. So far, I never had issues with any of those apps.
PS: I don’t use QNAP’s multimedia apps at all (disabled), so consequently I don’t use the multimedia share. Browsing from other PCs, the multimedia share is not visible.

Thanks for the feedback. I have a similar setup, only difference is that Roon core is on another pool with SSD disks and music is on a pool with “normal” disks. I can’t seem to be able to make it work. I can navigate to the music folder but Roon is unable to scan the contents.

I am completely frustrated and there is complete radio silence by the roon team for days now. There seem to be a lot of user with this issue.
The last build was a disaster. Roon is indeed much faster, but no usable any more.

My configuration is pretty much identical with BlackJack’s. I don’t use QNAP default multimedia folder either, I’ve made my own Media folder for music and video files. Then Roon database its own folder and backup in its own. My user privilege settings are also identical, I use my QNAP as admin so obviously I have all the rights there are and I even tried to give read permission for Guest access for all the folders Roon interacts with but this has no effect in my case. I’ve also deleted or shut down all QNAP’s own multimedia applications, I only run the essential stuff. I earlier used static ip settings for the NAS but now changed them to automatic, not sure if this had any effect though. This is truly a weird issue. At the moment Roon works normally but only after deleting everything, reinstall and backup restore.

Btw. Are there certain network or file services which absolutely need to be on from QNAP control panel settings?

My system setup is different to BlackJacks. I have installed the QNAP Multimedia Package but don’t use the system default for Roon but do for my Movies, Photographs etc, etc.

My RoonServer shared folder is on Storage Pool 1 on a dedicated NVMe M.2 SSD nothing else is on it.

My Music is in another shared folder on the spinning discs on Storage Pool 2 and only contains my music.

My Backup files are located in another Storage Pool and also backed up to an External USB hard drive.

My Admin Account Has Read/Write access in the Privilege Settings to all of these directories and Guest Access is Denied.

Everything I have on my QNAP works as it should and I use it for many other duties. It’s a TS-873A with 16gb RAM and streams movies, plays Roon music and many other duties without breaking sweat and loads of spare memory and CPU capacity.

Yes I have also installed Roon and other applications like Plex server on Storage Pool 1 (SSD) and have Storage Pool 2 (HDD) for storage needs like music and video files. I’m also streaming 4k movies etc. to my TV and there’s zero problems when it comes to QNAP hardware. 8gb of RAM here, updated from the default 4gb on TS-253D.

It was like this with me until the latest update by Roon. Since then I don’t seem to be able to scan local folders. What worries me most is that there is no sign from @support, apart from a few messages in the first days.

I was thinking of removing Roon from my QNAP and install the previous version, but I am not able to find where I can download version 1.8 (B831)?

Unfortunately you cannot roll back to a previous version of Roon.

Hey @Vassilis_Papaeconomo,

We appreciate it so much that in the middle of being frustrated (on good reason) and of not having Roon working, you are so kind in all of your posts.

I want to apologize for the lack of communication on this thread…:pleading_face:. We missed on sharing the update on Monday, after we haven’t been around on the weekend. We are sorry, as we know you haven’t been able to listen to your local music and, for some of us that is the only source of music…

We’ve added your information to the tracking report, @Vassilis_Papaeconomo and our team is taking a closer look at what is happening in your case :nerd_face:

1 Like

Hey @Vladimir_Grayvoronsk,

Thanks for choosing to voice your thoughts… it helps us to hear these things.

Please know it wasn’t what we intended and we’re deeply sorry that some of our libraries are affected by the update. Our QA and dev team are working on a solution and we’ll keep everyone posted here.

Hey everyone :wave:,

I wanted to take a moment to thank you for being more than gracious as we’re working on understanding why music content from your local files isn’t showing up in Roon and finding solutions. We appreciate you :heart:

For some of us, enabling permissions (full access) for guest access has resolved the issue, so, if you haven’t tried this yet, it is worth giving a try.

If this hasn’t resolved the issue for you, please, bear with us a little longer. Feedback that we have received today is getting us closer to a resolution.

We’ll follow up with more updates as we have them :nerd_face:

3 Likes

Thanks for posting that @beka. I am VERY frustrated because I am a passionate music listener and since a few days I cannot listen to music at all. Roon has never had any issue for me and I have been enjoying and recommending it to lots of others. Hope (like many others) you come up with a solution very soon.

2 Likes