QNAP - Not Showing Local Folders Anymore [See Staff Post - Fix is released]

For those folks still experiencing issues, ill list steps I took to make things work again. Some of them may not be needed, but just in case im leaving them in.

Step 1: Uninstall Roon server from QNAP NAS
Step 2: Turned OFF File Service for Windows Networking - Not sure this is needed, but I had a silly hunch.
Step 3: Completely deleted my Roon database and folder. Blew it all away. Was unable to delete through file explorer completely, so I had to SSH into NAS and rm -r the directory.
Step 4: Reinstalled Roon Server from QNAP App Store
Step 5: Opened Roon on my desktop machine, forgot the old core, added new core.
Step 6: Added the library location through the Roon Client on desktop

This cleared the issue for me. Yes, it completely wipes our settings and library customizations.

Roon folks, i love this software - but it breaks a LOT. Please get some QA going on a wider set of configurations. Roon has been out of commission for me probably 1 month out of the last year - from a traditional SLA standpoint, thats no bueno.

Thanks everyone, hope yall get things working.

2 Likes

As a note - the “guest access” full permissions fix did not work for me.

Neither did a plain reinstall of Roon on the NAS from the App Store, or the Website.

I also attempted to add library as a network share and was net with “unknown error” messages.

I am re-enabling file service for windows networking - as i think my hunch was wrong. If something breaks again ill call it out here =)

Seems there where issues (user / permission wise) - the likely cause of your troubles.

Possibly? Though ive changed nothing, and the recent update is what broke Roon. To be fair, I deleted it via CLI from the same account I used to install and run Roon.

thank you @beka and the Team. We really hope you will find the solution soon, because, like, @Vasilis_Anastasiou said, Roon never had such weird behaviour in the past, and that disappoints all music lovers.

BTW, Here is what worked for me. I made a new core on my PC (instead of the NAS) and all started functioning immediately. The downside is that the service is now available only if my PC is on. The app on the tablet/mobile still does not work.

I look forward to hearing about the final fixes to reconnect the core on my QNAP NAS again.

Hi Vladimir. Unfortunately I did the same as you and moved away from the core being stored on the QNAP NAS(via SSD). I bought an NUC from Ebay with windows 10 installed (cost 250 British pounds). I Installed the core and rescanned my library of 100,000 songs, that are still located on the QNAP. It took approx 5 hours and now I have my music back :sunglasses:. I really wanted to find a solution with the QNAP, but as my model was no longer supported, I figured I would move on, in the hope that I have future proofed my system for the next few years.

For everyone that doesn’t have the same option as me, I truly hope that a QNAP solution can be found in the very near future.

1 Like

Hey @Vladimir_Grayvoronsk wrong Vasilis tagged :grin: my experience is superb!. You probably wanted to tag @Vassilis_Papaeconomo

Hello Roon team, I experience the same issue as above with Roon 1.8 Build 850 and the latest QTS firmware… However, I don’t use guest account in my system, hope that you could figure out the solution asap… at that moment, I could only stream the Tidal from my Roon…

1 Like

@beka is there a way to revert to the previous version until you get that fixed?

In short: No!

1 Like
1 Like

Hey @Vassilis_Papaeconomo,

I am so sorry to say that the answer is no. There is more than one reason why this is. We discuss the topic in our article on downgrading.

I had the same issue after upgrading to QTS 5.0.01853.

Solution: Granting Guest Access to RoonServer and the Volumes. BUT: Roon was a mess, the History was lost, the Playlists empty. Got a little bit nervous. But fortunately a Backup was the solution and now everything is back to the great normal.

1 Like

@ThomasMz did you grant full access for the Guest to the Volumes with music or the Roon server as well? In my case I have full access rights for the Music volume but that didn’t help. Are you using local folders or Shared folders for your music?

@Vassilis_Papaeconomo I granted full access to all Volumes which have something to do with Roon (Server, Music). Good question - it’s not “network share”:

Hi @ThomasMz:
Can you please describe what you mean by saying you have granted full access to these folders (I only know how to do that with Shared folders)? Sorry if my question is too primitive, but I am getting lost with this issue about access rights.

@beka I upgrade my QNAP QTS to 5.0.0.1853 and the issues happened again. I didn’t change the ‘guest access rights’ but the local folder became unaccessible again. I have to restart the Roon server and rescan the folder. I have 4TB music. I can’t afford the time to rescan the whole library every time I restart the QNAP or upgrade QTS.

Hello,
I think I have the same issue :frowning:
posted in another thread
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/lost-datatabase-after-846-update-and-more/176397/15?u=martin_honeder
grafik
grafik

Martin

Hello,
I’ve the same Problem today after I’ve updated to QTS 5.0.0.1853
Roon Server 1.8 (build 850) stable

I can reach all the folders in roon’s file section
but I got 0 Albums
roon said: it looks like that your files are offline.

Any Idea what can I do?
THX Martin

So I Build up roon from scratch
(Deleted all Folders) → restart qnap
Via Qnap Appstore → Roon installed on Qnap TS-EC1680U
FW: 5.0.0.1853
M2SSD Raid Sytsem
Data separated on another volume with hdd’s

Rights:

Guest Rights Deny (Zugriffsverweigerung)

Library: browsing through the folders and added folders to my library
I can see the files

but → no scan

Started restorng from backup
then Library is available

and playable!

after a few seconds, numbers of albums are decreasing

Music ist still playing.
Folders importing files

this number is decreasing too

After a certain time, roon stops playing.
Some albums are visible
grafik

but when you want to play them → xx number of files skipped, roon stopped.

After one night, no files can be played.

hope that helps for finding the problem

Martin