QNAP - Not Showing Local Folders Anymore [See Staff Post - Fix is released]

After each QNAP restart local files disappear.

If I want to have them back in the library I need to:

• change Guest Access Right (it doesn’t matter to what value - even Deny Access is fine - it just need to be the other value than previous one)
  • Force rescan in Roon

It seems that change in access rights triggers something on QNAP or Roon that lets to rescan library. Otherwise Force rescan doesn’t have any effect.

Have you tried to create a new share, add guest rights for reading and put some tracks on it? Maybe something is mixed up with the access rights on your QNAP.

Thanks for clarifying. Weird behaviour with QNAP for sure. Just to be sure, you don’t have your music library in root folder on QNAP? That’s known to cause problems.

It would be nice to know what happened and lead to this situation in the first place since everything worked flawlessly before the recent update for Linux based Roon setups. I hope things get back to normal soon.

Not yet, sound’s like a good idea.

Music library is in dedicated shared folder.

Could you post a screenshot of your Stored Music Folder structure showing your Shared Folder & Subfolders?

Yes but where’s this folder located? Be sure to make one parent folder before the actual music folder. For example \Media\Music works great but if you have the music files in root folder like \Music then there will be problems. I don’t know why but this I learnt very quickly after I got QNAP.

2 Likes

@patouskii is right that’s why I asked if you could post a screenshot.

1 Like

I followed all the instructions to install the beta and updated the clients and the core.
I still have the issue exactly line Piotr user (Piotr_Pekala), that means:

After each QNAP restart local files disappear.
If I want to have them back in the library I need to:

• change Guest Access Right (it doesn’t matter to what value - even Deny Access is fine - it just need to be the other value than previous one)
  • Force rescan in Roon
    It seems that change in access rights triggers something on QNAP or Roon that lets to rescan library. Otherwise Force rescan doesn’t have any effect.

That was a question to somebody else :slight_smile:

But in my case scanned folder is not the root directory but a few folders one level lower.

Ok, then I’m running out of ideas. I use TS-253D with QTS 5.0.0.1858 and things seem to work well now, even after reboot I was able to connect to Roon again normally.

Maybe try reinstalling the core and restoring from backup once more? It takes time but might help. Changing the media library location might also be something to check. If you have it in same folder/location as Roon database, try different folder.

I should have the same situation too.
The folder ‘Music Library’ is nested some levels (3 levels) within the share, also if the share is at the root level.
Could be this the issue?

Not sure if it matters but your shared folders settings page look very different from mine. There should be a small box where you select the guest access right like in my picture. Don’t mind the black boxes in my picture.

Why do you think so? He uses a different OS (QuTS hero 5.0.x) than you (QTS 5.0.x) and I’m not sure that it is even supported/tested by @crieke. According to the documentation, there is no field for “Guest Access Right” in QuTS hero 5.0.x.

Ok no problem, I didn’t know he uses different OS.

@noris an update on this: For some reason, quite unexpectedly Roon started scanning local folders again. I just did (another) force rescan and all music was imported in Roon again. This happened again in the past, so I will wait a couple days and reboot QNAP to see if this remains and I will post an update.

1 Like

@noris unfortunately the problem was not resolved with the beta: After the first reboot of QNAP Roon removed the content of my library which was scanned in the local folder. I did a force scan, but nothing happened
This may help though: I did a change in the folder access rights, changed Guest access from Read to Full Access. After this change I did a force scan in roon and Roon started scanning the content again. I do not think it is important to have a specific value in Guest Rights, just any change is good, and the folder can be scanned again.
I do not see much changed in the beta, this is I believe exactly what was happening before.

Hi all,

Late to this topic, haven’t found the time to sort out the problem. I guess my problem is the same as everyone else’s: QNAP (TS-877) suddenly lost access to all local content. Reinstalled Roon, no help: found a build that fixed it for awhile but with a QTS upgrade lost all access again.

Tried the tip on one of the last posts in this thread and enabled full guest access to my music folder in QTS. And presto, it now scans and shows all the content again.

So this is a QNAP permissions/user issue then? From a security standpoint, I’d not have the full guest access to any folder on the QNAP unit on permanently: as a fix this will do, but for an unlimited time this solution is not feasible.

I’m having exactly the same problem.
@support ?

So it seems, even though it doesn’t make much sense. I mean, guest access for a share have got little to do with accessing the volumes on the local machine? However, previously there were folks on here that accessed the volumes as network shares as a workaround which in some cases worked.