QNAP QTS 5.0 Upgrade

QNAP just released QTS 5.0. I installed it this morning to my QNAP TVS-471 which is also running my Core. The upgrade went well and Roon works just fine. This is for those who might be wondering if it’s okay to install. Of course YMMV.

9 Likes

Thanks for that John, I’ll give it a try :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

That’s a big update, but my TVS 471 updated fine and Roon seems ok…

All good here as well.

Thanks for those brave people who have already installed it as I didn’t want to be the first !

A new installation will currently fail on QTS 5. An updated installation (which also includes some other changes) has already been submitted to QNAP.

2 Likes

On my TS-473A upgrade ruined network connectivity, both Core-Remote and Core-Tidal/Qobuz. It became totally unstable.

Port Trunking disablement seems to fix that (at least for the last few minutes).

hi guys,
and hi @crieke

does anybody know if the ffmpeg / AAC issue is now solved with the new QTS5?

i am not updating my QNAP now since 6 months anymore :frowning:

Roon Server on QNAP QTS 4.5.1 Situation - Roon Software / QNAP/Synology NAS - Roon Labs Community

It is not “fixed”. The fix is to manually install ffmpeg which fixes the problem. I can tell you that it stays fixed after manual installation.

hi John,

so QTS 5 didn’t touch the ffmpeg issue, correct? but you are saying if i run the QTS 5 update on my NAS, my previous manually installed ffmpeg fix will stay?

That’s the way it worked for me. Yes.

Yes, my ffmpeg stayed in place with the latest upgrade also…

Also working fine after upgrade to 5.0. I’m running a TVS-882

1 Like

Update from my side. I did the upgrade to QTS 5 but the issue came up again. I tried the fix from Roon Server on QNAP QTS 4.5.1 Situation - #21 by crieke which seems to be very user friendly. Didn’t work and the ffmpeg folder in my Roon directory got deleted by the system after rebooting, god knows why.

Then I did the same thing again PLUS followed I can not play AAC format file, why? - #16 by Daniel_Murphy from @Daniel_Murphy , copied the ffmpeg directly through cyberduck into my /usr/local/medialibrary/bin .

Restarted the Roon on my Mac (not Server) aaaaannnddd … thank god it works again. No idea what now finally the fix was, but it works.

I might not upgrade my Qnap for the coming six month lol …

1 Like

Good to know thanks

Hi @HeyHoh666,
The upcoming update for QNAP will also change the routine on how to add ffmpeg for Roon Server. It will be the same procedure on all different NAS platforms then. I hope it’ll get approved soon by QNAP.

1 Like

Just installed, CPU load is 30-40% less with updated kernel. ROON performs much faster now. (As for now (one hour tested))…Have a i5 6core (QNAP TVS872XT) with 64GB ram…and 4 VM’s running (Exchange 2019 with 4 vCores; Veeam with 2vCores, Homeassistant with 1vCore and Debian/Guacamole with 1vCore). Overall CPU load is now between 8-38%, was 35-85%. Everything running simultaneously (directly on NvMe volumes en dual 10gbe NICs). Before new Kernel ROON was (sometimes) slow when a VM was heavy in use (Windows update for example)… :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

That sounds promising. Though still wondering if doing the update on my HS-251+
Do you think it might help on performance, less memory usage too?

Sorry i don’t know. The HS-251 is using a quad-core Intel® Celeron® 2,0GHz processor and ROON advises a i3 on Linux (with 4GB memory, typical usage). Just install i would say, i don’t think the performance would go backwards so…On Memory usage i see no difference.

The Roon recommendation is based on a reasonable sized local file size database - and many users are increasingly relying on Qobuz & Tidal, as I do too. Got just about 50-100 albums stored locally, and the rest respectively mainly streaming via Qobuz.
It’s working quite ok on the HS-251+ although it could be a lot snappier when browsing through the iOS app with loading home-screen, playlists etc.

The thing is basic memory consumption of Roon is quite high - maybe there will be an option anytime soon to deactivate any “comfort” features etc. so just stripping it down to what is really needed for that use-case on the Roon Core machine.