Qobuz Better Than Tidal Now (for me)

I believe you can “transfer” a certain number of playlists for free with no subscription (I occasionally do this if I find a good Spotify playlist). To move an entire collection, use platform to platform (subscription required). I usually do one month and then immediately cancel if I’m doing platform to platform. I try to avoid doing lots of platform to platform transfers because it has created headaches in the past (such as creating many duplicate albums or matching different versions of albums than I prefer). But it’s still a very useful feature. (I have not tried transferring individual albums.)

remember a speedtest is normally to a nearby server - Tidal and Qobuz servers maybe be hundreds or 1000’s of KM’s away over links you have no guarantee of service speeds on.

The suggestion by others to use Soundiiz is a good one. That’s what I did, open a 1 month subscription with Soundiiz for $4 or so and use their platform to platform transfer service. This worked better than I expected for not only albums but artists and playlists. It’s well worth the less than five bucks.

However, I did not find it as easy as others have described to complete my migration from Tidal to Qobuz. Even though I got about 95% matching for my library, the remaining 5% required a lot of manual work. And the matching is not always exactly what I want so there was more manual work going through the matched Qobuz albums to verify I had the right version. I ended up taking a couple of days to complete what only took a few minutes with Soundiiz.

That is not to say that Soundiiz is not wonderful. I was impressed. I am just saying that if you, like me, are a stickler for completeness and you have a preference for particular versions then you are probably going to need to spend time cleaning up and refining and augmenting what Soundiiz can do for you.

Going through my entire library one album at a time and checking the versions was what I ended up doing. A lot of work but that is how I arrived at the conclusion that, at least for my library, Qobuz is far superior to Tidal with respect to high rez audio availabliity. I think my effort was worth it. Alternatively, just using the automated platform to platform transfer that Soundiiz offers may be satisfactory for some and it requires very little effort.

1 Like

In my opinion, Qobuz is definitely better than Tidal for classical music.

3 Likes

Like others I had a painless experience migrating. Out of around 1300 Tidal albums 30 or so we’re not in Qobuz and I was able to manually match about 5-6 more.

My library is heavily alternative/indie/folk biased. I was surprised how much the Qobuz library has caught up in the last 18 months.

5 Likes

I will subscribe to Quboz next month after the trial period and move Tidal to the lowest tier for mobile streaming or give it up altogether. End of the story for me.

3 Likes

If streaming low bit rate to mobile wouldn’t Apple or Spotify have more content?

It’s sad to see the MQA disinformation has worked.

That’s one thing I never got. People are always harping about all the stuff that Tidal has, but Qobuz doesn’t, but NEVER mention all the stuff Qobuz has that Tidal doesn’t. As they both have about the same number of tracks total, that means that if Tidal has “X” number of tracks that Qobuz doesn’t, then Qobuz has “X” number of tracks that Tidal doesn’t. They both have far more tracks then anyone could ever listen to!!

8 Likes

Really Magnus?

You have no idea what my specific concerns with MQA even are.

[Moderated]

It is unclear which disinformation you are referring to and I agree there is a lot of disinformation on this topic. This post was not meant as a criticism of MQA or intended to serve as a forum for debate around the quality of various audio formats. I intended it solely as an account of my experience, with my library, in comparing the availability of hi-rez audio from the services I was subscribed to. I was surprised to learn that Qobuz has a much better catalog of hi-rez versions of the albums in my library than does Tidal.

I enjoyed my Tidal subscription and found that MQA sounds good to me. I have an MQA capable DAC. I also had questionable bandwidth for streaming hi-rez audio reliably. MQA addressed my needs well. Tidal is an excellent service. Now that I have upgraded my network bandwidth I am able to stream higher resolution digital audio formats without issue and find that Qobuz provides me with a superior selection, with regards my particular library and taste, than does Tidal especially with regards higher rez versions. I hope I was clear about that. I have nothing against Tidal or MQA. Different lanes for different brains.

4 Likes

It was quite a job to manually check if my Tidal albums were also available in Qobuz. (I now have both services active in Roon). Still missing 166 albums in Qobuz and that keeps me from saying goodbye to Tidal. And that means that I will continue to use both services for the time being.

It is still unclear to me how Roon judges which album from which service becomes ‘primary’ if both albums are of the same sound quality …

Good info. It seems to indicate, as I already strongly suspected, that coverage of one’s library by a service’s catalog is strongly dependent upon the nature and contents of the library. That is probably a “no d’uh” but good to have actual data to confirm it.

I’m curious to learn more about your library. How many albums are in your library? This will give us a percent that is not covered rather than a quantity like 166. And, if you don’t mind revealing, how would you describe the nature of your library? Is it predominantly jazz or classical or rock or indie or folk or what?

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I probably would have remained a dual subscriber but my library only had a handful of albums in Tidal that were not either in Qobuz or my local library.

+1 same, same

My albums:
Local: 3477

After the transfer to Qobuz
Qobuz: 781
Tidal: 166 (not found in Qobuz)

I prefer non-mainstream modern music. Many so-called ‘alternative’ albums from the 80s and 90s are in my library

Thanks for the data. That is an inordinately high percentage of matching failures between services. Looks like we still have a ways to go before migration between services is feasible for some. I guess I was just lucky that my library matches well with the Qobuz catalog.

On a different note, 80s and 90s ‘alternative’ music provides us with, in my opinion, an excellent untapped resource of music that largely escaped the commercial grasp of the Big Labels. I wish I had more or that the streaming services would incorporate more of this genre. There are many excellent bands from Santa Cruz who were active during this era and the only way to get their music is to have bought the CD or vinyl at one of their shows back then or to follow them now on Bandcamp or Soundcloud. Well, anyway, it makes for an interesting project, trying to track down Tao Chemical’s music or that of The Holy Sisters of the Gaga Dada. Luckily, I have those albums.

Yes, in that period there was a lot of artistic freedom in combination with accessible release possibilities at the so-called independents. Nowadays these possibilities are self-evident because of the digital media. There is so much to discover. The trick is to find good sources…

On topic: As I wrote before, I will keep both Tidal and Qobuz for the time being. As financial compensation, I ditched Apple Music :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

This is exactly what happened to me. I signed up for Qobuz and copied my library over with Soundiiz. I was sad to see that > 30% of my favorite Tidal albums were missing from Qobuz.

I tried living with Qobuz, but jumped back to Tidal and haven’t looked back. And, yes, I thought Qobuz sounded better.

1 Like

Library matching seems to vary substantially from user to user, depending upon the content of their library. Also, I noticed a dramatic improvement with Qobuz matching to my library between the first time I tried that service only a few months ago and when I recently migrated my library from predominantly Tidal to Qobuz. For my library anyway, Qobuz really improved their coverage over a very short period of time, I would say January of this year to April. They have added quite a few titles. So, it appears from my small slice of the Qobuz coverage pie that there are at least two factors playing a large role in one’s coverage - the nature and content of your library, and the time at which you attempt to match those albums with the service’s catalog. Current matching is, in my experience, much better than matching quality even just a few months ago. I guess everybody is just going to have to figure out what fits their individual needs the best. For now.

1 Like

I concur, it’s worth running a soundiiz export again, even if you tried it a few months ago.

3 Likes