QOBUZ feedback thread

Very happy to see they keep extending.

I have family and friends in Argentina and Brazil. Will spread the good news.

2 Likes

I like to think that this Monday I was one of the first subscribers in Colombiaā€¦

7 Likes

Congrats matey :slight_smile: Since I am a rather curious individualā€¦ how much is the monthly subscription there? :stuck_out_tongue:

The plan with monthly billing is COP 19.400. If you pay for a yearly plan, the monthly cost goes down to COP 16.200.

This is a little below Tidalā€™s pricing in Colombia. Both Tidal and Qobuz offer plans adjusted to the regional income structure which is a good thing. Roon should think hard about offering something similar.

BTW, judging from your avatar curiosity didnā€™t become you wellā€¦ :wink:

2 Likes

1900 COP - this is less than Ā£4 :exploding_head: You lucky man!

Roon should think hard about offering something similar - I think there is a discussion on this somewhere on here and I believe Roon replied explaining why they will not do it.

Itā€™s not the same earning Ā£4 in GB or in Colombiaā€¦ If pricing here was the same as in Europe, I and many others wouldnā€™t become Qobuz users.

2 Likes

I knowā€¦

Anyways, moving to Colombia now. Cheap Qobuz and Arepas! :joy:

1 Like

Yesā€¦ arepas santandereanas which are the best!

2 Likes

Looks delicious! As a Liverpool fan, we are very much appreciative of a particular Columbian export right now :sunglasses: :soccer:

1 Like

Colombian players tend to be indisciplined. Hopefully Klopp knows how to manage Luisā€¦ Youā€™ll know that things go well if in few months he is able to speak a little Englishā€¦

2 Likes

Luis has shown zero evidence of indiscipline (on the pitch at least), and Herr Klopp is a master manager of people - he would not have brought someone disruptive to the club. One of the absolute greatest managers. Luis seems to have slotted into the team seamlessly and most of his performances have been electrifying. Diaz - 37M, Grealish 100M :man_facepalming:

1 Like

BTW, sorry Mods for taking this off topic - but since Qobuz is not available in Canada it is more interesting to talk about arepas and Luis DĆ­az :pray:.

4 Likes

Itā€™s curious that Qobuz is not available in Canada. Did I miss the explanation as to why?

I believe the official reply has always been ā€œlicensing issuesā€ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, whatever that means! TBH Iā€™m not really bothered as I really like Tidal and it sounds great in my system - it would be good to have the opportunity to try Qobuz though.

Being a new Qobuz user I thought Iā€™d give feedback of my impressions after the first few days.

I decided to subscribe to Qobuz as soon as I was made aware that it now was available in Colombia, after 2+ years of using Roon with Tidal and my local library. I decided to use Qobuz for several reasons; for one, their ā€˜realā€™ HiRes flac format instead of MQA-encoded files (and no, I wonā€™t get involved in another MQA debate. Itā€™s just what it is)ā€¦ Second, I love the availability of digital booklets in Qobuz. That for me as classical music listener is a godsend. And third, for the odd album which is on Qobuz but not on Tidal. That its pricing is a little below Tidalā€™s HiFi+ Tier doesnā€™t hurt, but was not important for making my decision.

I decided I would manually add all those Tidal albums over to Qobuz which I had ā€˜heartedā€™ in Roonā€¦ about 600 albums, the music I had enjoyed the most for one or the other reason. I would then delete all other Tidal content from my database and disconnect from Tidal, before the next cut at the end of the current month. This would leave me with a much reduced Roon database, with the most important content now provided by Qobuz, and an altogether new beginningā€¦

Alas, this will not happen. During the last couple of days I have looked up the first 200 or so Roon-hearted albums in Qobuz, and I have sadly discovered many missing albums. Not just the odd album missing, but the whole catalog of important classical labels. For example, on Qobuz there apparently is no content by Challenge Classics from Holland nor by Passacaille from Belgium or Avie Records from Britain. And there probably are other important classical labels missing, too, and this is a hard hit to swallow. I could quietly accept one or the other missing album, but the whole back catalog of important classical labels is another thing altogether.

So for the moment I will downgrade my Tidal subscription to the HiFi Tier (without MQA HiRes stuff) and will go on to give this some time of evaluation with both Tidal and Qobuz enabled in Roon. As far as feedback goes, Iā€™d like to add that my listening habits depend much more on the catalogs of the small independent classical labels than on the big guys Warner, Sony, etc. Of course, for listeners like myself it would add great value to the Qobuz offerings if the mentioned and other possibly missing important labels could be made available on the platform. Other than that, allā€™s going wellā€¦

7 Likes

Are you searching Qobuz via Roon search or in the Qobuz app?

Using the Qobuz app, I found many titles from Challenge Classics label. It may be a region thing though (Iā€™m in the US).

Iā€™ve been searching on bothā€¦

As an example, do you find the releases by the violinist Linus Roth on Challenge Classics?

Iā€™ve just now found a few releases from Avie Classics and Challenge Classics on Qobuz, but most are missing. So it seems that itā€™s not that the labels are missing altogether, but to a great extentā€¦

Yes, there are some. I just clicked through another series of discographiesā€¦ and I can find some Challenge Classics albums. But still, many are missingā€¦

At the end itā€™s not so big a deal; I didnā€™t expect the differences between Tidal and Qobuz in terms of catalog coverage of the music I most enjoy being so big as they apparently are. But what I have found in these first days makes me believe that I will have to keep both streaming providers active.

P.S. Another label with many albums missing seems to be Signum Classics. Again, there are some, but most of those in my library are missingā€¦

Edit: Another aspect I didnā€™t mention is sound quality. I wonā€™t talk about that as I donā€™t intend to do any blind testing. But Iā€™ve noticed differences, and to me they all seem to favor Qobuz.

2 Likes