Qobuz gapless playback gone [Improvements released with Roon build 1202]

I double checked with a flac rip and roon plays a local version of this album gapless no problems. But my experience with roon/Qobuz is unpredictable. A bit hit and miss.

Edit: Spoke too soon. Now there are noticeable gaps between tracks 1 & 2 and 2 & 3 with this Tedechi Trucks album even when playing local flac rips (I gave up testing other track transitions).

In foobar this is a completely gapless album in the sense that the transition between audience applause at the end of one track segues “gaplessly” into the next track and you cannot hear the joins. I even listened on the systems out on Windows 11 so ruling out the rest of my chromecast based chain to a pair of Buchardt A500’s.

2 Likes

That’s Roon all over with bugs like this. We will have the usual must be your isp, your network, you setup etc just like when their servers play up. It’s also present on ARC as well. I have noticed longer pauses in between some non gapless tracks. I don’t listen to a lot of gapless albums it was only last night whilst playing the opening track from Fun Boy Threes Waiting that I noticed it adding a gap as their is a gapless transition to the second track. Via Roon and ARC noticeable gap via Qobuz app gapless. So the issue is most definitely Roon and how it’s pulling streams, somethings changed somewhere and not for the good. Why it’s not affecting everyone or why some track’s play different for some is an odd one but then the issues with servers have been like this as it’s like due to load, latency etc which happens at a given time, although I could repeat this issue a number of times.

1 Like

If it’s via arc then it’s coming straight from qobuz so any gaps are from their end. Perhaps the proportion of their CDN they have assigned to roon has an issue. I wonder if it’s overloaded so some streams are working OK but others fail.

I tried that particular album and noticed a gap btween tracks 1 and 2 when using the Qobuz app as well as when using Qobuz on Roon.

Yes, I notice this as well which is really annoying with music styles where there can already be a very long fadeout between tracks. A lot of studio based multi-composition Classical music is recorded this way. With live recordings where the audience does not applause between movements/tracks (only at the end), the effect is a very noticeable “glitch” in the matrix as the hall atmospherics suddenly turns off between tracks. Breaks the spell completely. Opera and a lot of Choral and voice based music becomes essentially unlistenable.

With this Tedechi Trucks album my guess is that between a lot of the tracks the engineers have edited out most of the inter-track interaction with the audience but what you hear on a local flac version is a seamless segue between the audience applause at the end of one track and the audience settling into the next one. I don’t believe it was cobbled together from different live sets. But that is also not uncommon. These sorts of recordings are also “gapless” in my view in the sense that you really cannot hear the joins between the tracks and the recording creates the illusion of a single live concert.

I dont get a gap at all via Qobuz and never used to via Roon,

Which means its still Roon related as I have not seen this affect anything else, Naim app is gapless. I will try LMS to see if it has any issues.

1 Like

I do get a gap using Qobuz app for the example of Fun Boy Tree - Waiting album.

Personally I have the feeling it is related to Qobuz only.
Music is send from Qobuz content distribution infrastructure directly into our home Roon server.
If it comes in non-gapless, nothing Roon can do about.

Dirk

I know that, but stuff that should be gapless and is via Qobuz has not been gapless in Roon. Too many complaints for it not to be a thing s. In the case of this album I agree this is the master as the gap comes after the track switch which is odd and having checked Spotify it is there as well so I am mistaken with this one, although I know its been gapless in the past so I wonder if the master was changed since last time I listened to it as it was not in my library anymore where I know have added it to Qobuz before years ago.

Listening to Floyds The Wall as a test ( not enjoyable as I hate Floyd, and its gapless). This is one people have moaned about. I am not writing it off as fixed or if it wasn’t an issue as I have had longer pauses between tracks and albums starting where I never have before and there have been too many complaints from different parts of the globe for it to be just written off as a local issue.

1 Like

They have

1 Like

My suspicion is that it’s hard to replicate and/or diagnose, hence the lack of action/info from Roon. It’s an odd situation all round. AFAIK the stream for the next track should be pulled before the previous track has finished. The fact that this appears not to be happening, in certain cases, can’t simply be a network set-up problem, can it?

This is a really big deal because gapless playback is a gold standard must-have and Roon is definitely offering a gold standard product.

1 Like

It’s broke for Chromecast didn’t it not sure if that was ever sorted ?

2 Likes

It’s all good

I’m wondering if it’s broken for some endpoints and not others. It seems too specific to be simply network related.

1 Like

The slow loading I have noticed on all my zones wired or wireless. The wired one is Roon Ready the majority I use are Roon Bridge and wireless. Need to test my JBL Link 20 and see if Chromecasting gapless works.

As they have had issues with long pauses with DSP being applied in updates this year it’s not hard to see that it could also affect other areas of the playback chain. Be interesting to see how many that it’s affecting use DSP to those that don’t to see if there is any metric. I use DSP in three zones currently.

Just for your information: I’ve been in direct contact with the support team for days to work on this problem (which is new to me). It is not reproducible and only happens occasionally, but it definitely happens and there is no solution yet. But - it is being worked on.

And I get this problem every now and then, unfortunately not reproducible, and no matter whether I have DSP active or not.

4 Likes

This album is party gapless and partly not gapless with Roon on my system. And that is the problem, these differences and deviations. I cannot find a comprehensible problem approach when it is gapless and when it is not.

1 Like

Modern day tech support response:

Problem → due to software → due to hardware → due to network → Problem → due to software → due to hardware → due to network → Problem → due to software → due to hardware → due to network → Problem → due to software → due to hardware → due to network → Problem → due to software → due to hardware → due to network → Problem → due to software → due to hardware → due to network → Problem → due to software → due to hardware → due to network → Problem → due to software → due to hardware → due to network → Problem → due to software → due to hardware → due to network → Problem → due to software → due to hardware → due to network → problem

Otherwise known as passing the buck or circle jerk

4 Likes

Roon 2.0 (build 1182) with both ROCK on an Intel NUC and using Qobuz plus FLAC local library.

Experienced the lack of gapless playback on Qobuz but not from local files.
Was very annoying.
Note that using Qobuz app directly - was gapless. It was only through Roon that it wasn’t…

Appear to have solved the issue for me by using the Services tab of Roon Settings to completely sign out of Qobuz (deleting the sign in). Then re-entering Qobuz account sign in and password.

The ROCK was not powered down, and has been kept running (current uptime is 428 days).
Tried gapless playback of Qobuz streamed music immediately after re-sign in - and it worked.
Been working gapless for 2 days now.

6 Likes

Brilliant work @David_Ford , the key seems to be do NOT shut down and restart your ROCK, I did try it both ways and your method is working fine so far.

Thanks so much :+1:t2:

2 Likes