Qobuz in Canada

ANTs! Amigo in music… forgive me but I thought you were a “warmth of the vinyl, snap crackle and pop guy” Glad to see you here in the 0 and 1 world… How long have you been Rooned by digital? Would love to see you sometime… Catch-up would take too long but we can still try. Qobuz is all that is missing to complete the set up. I’ve moved over about 350,000 files from my collection to digital in the last decade and amazingly I can still hear AND I love music more than ever. Radio almost killed the passion but I got out just in time I guess. Let’s Java sometime.

1 Like

You were right to hope for Qobuz’s arrival in Canada. The Montreal newspaper Le Devoir announces the end of QUB MUsique. The Quebec Spotify will join Qobuz for the greater good of our ears.

in English:
This is the end for QUB music
[Home] [Culture] [Music]
Étienne Paré
5:50 pm
Music
After announcing the elimination of 240 positions, Quebecor is cutting its digital component, notably in its QUB Music platform, which will cease its activities and merge with a major French player in online listening.

Launched with great fanfare in May 2020, QUB music was to be a 100% Quebec option for the online listening giants Spotify and Apple Music. But the service never met with the expected success, even though it offered its subscribers a competitive catalogue compared to other platforms.

According to our information, the playlists currently on the QUB Music app will soon be hosted on the French platform Qobuz, which will be entering Canada within the next few weeks. QUB Music subscribers will also be able to join Qobuz, of which Québecor was already one of the partners.
Today in Montréal

If QUB Music bows down, QUB Radio, Quebecor’s digital radio station, will survive this vast restructuring plan announced on Thursday, the details of which will be announced in the next few days. It is already known that the TVA Group will lay off 140 people, which corresponds to nearly 11% of its current staff. This division includes not only the TVA network and its specialty channels, but also MELS magazines and film studios.

1 Like

You were right to hope for Qobuz’s arrival in Canada. The Montreal newspaper Le Devoir announces the end of QUB MUsique. The Quebec Spotify will join Qobuz for the greater good of our ears.

in English:
This is the end for QUB music
[Home] [Culture] [Music]
Étienne Paré
5:50 pm
Music
After announcing the elimination of 240 positions, Quebecor is cutting its digital component, notably in its QUB Music platform, which will cease its activities and merge with a major French player in online listening.

Launched with great fanfare in May 2020, QUB music was to be a 100% Quebec option for the online listening giants Spotify and Apple Music. But the service never met with the expected success, even though it offered its subscribers a competitive catalogue compared to other platforms.

According to our information, the playlists currently on the QUB Music app will soon be hosted on the French platform Qobuz, which will be entering Canada within the next few weeks. QUB Music subscribers will also be able to join Qobuz, of which Québecor was already one of the partners.

If QUB Music bows down, QUB Radio, Quebecor’s digital radio station, will survive this vast restructuring plan announced on Thursday, the details of which will be announced in the next few days. It is already known that the TVA Group will lay off 140 people, which corresponds to nearly 11% of its current staff. This division includes not only the TVA network and its specialty channels, but also MELS magazines and film studios.

1 Like

This morning’s print edition of Le Devoir reports that Qobuz will be introduced in Canada in May [still very good news!] "Selon nos informations, les listes de lecture qui se trouvent actuellement sur l’application QUB musique seront bientôt hébergées sur la plateforme française Qobuz, qui fera son entrée au Canada en mai.” cc @Neil_Small

2 Likes

@Michael_Giunta
@pierre_jubinville
@Norman_Spector

Qobuz high-quality music platform available in Canada May 2023

2 Likes

This is great news for lovers of music in this country. I am sure we agree this is overdue.
Death of Qub and the birth of Quobuz in the same press release? Coincidence? A good NDA will ensure we keep guessing. Whatever. The marketplace rules.
Spread the word!

3 Likes

Looks like Qobuz in May Ants. Great news for fans like you.

1 Like

Thanks for this. Excellent news. Pierre Peladeau, QUB’s owner, has just announced significant layoffs at his Quebecor media properties and is in withdrawal mode – all the better to focus on mobile where he is preparing to expand out of QC across Canada as part of the Rogers/Shaw acquisition.

1 Like
1 Like

Here you go @Rockhound , now you can finally get on the Qobuz wagon :wink:

1 Like

I’ll give it a shot for sure. Although I’m very happy with Tidal TBH (and couldn’t care less about the whole MQA malarkey), so it’ll need to sound a whole lot better if I’m going to switch - and I can’t see subscribing to both. We’ll see.

It really should not sound much different but…
I think you might find as I have done that both Tidal and Qobuz on their own leave gaps in our catalogue especially as we have similar musical tastes to a point.
That’s the sole reason I have both right now.

2 Likes

Yes differences between the two may be an issue - then again I don’t have time to listen to all the music I want to/already have as it is :grimacing: :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Would you prefer to live next door to Library of Congress in DC, or British Library in London? There’s lots of books in both.

I’m told that an announcement on Qobuz in Canada is coming this week

3 Likes

Glad you have the inside scoop and thanks for sharing.

1 Like

According to a report in Le Devoir, the announcement that Qobuz is coming to Canada will be made on Wednesday April 19. According to the same report, they did not enter Canada until now because they had an exclusive contract with QUB to provide music in Canada. Unfortunately for audiophiles, this meant their catalogue was available to Canadians in mp3 and that will now change to CD and hi-res. It remains to be seen how what Canadians are offered now by Qobuz differs from what is offered to Americans. Here’s a link to the Le Devoir report [in French] Qobuz saisit la balle au bond | Le Devoir

1 Like

Qobuz is now in Canada https://twitter.com/qobuz/status/1648627507405651970?s=20

5 Likes

Thanks for the update! Unless I am missing something (entirely possible) the Qobuz app is not available on the Google Store. Do you have any insight on when it will be available?

I just signed up to qobuz and in the process downloaded the app for mac. [i believe they offered a pc app too, but am not certain]