Questions about connecting NUC directly to a receiver

Related to a q that’s been discussed before, but I didn’t quite find the answer I was looking for.

The NUC has two HDMI ports, but Roon shows 5 available devices. HDA Intel PCH HDMI 0 thru 4. Not even sure what my question is, except that I’m wanting to connect the NUC directly to a nearby DAC, and not sure which port to use or device to enable in Roon setup.

Is there accepted conventional wisdom here or should I just “trial and error” and see what happens? And do I need to do anything under the hood on the NUC to get this going or is plug and play (assuming I pick the right connects).

I use HDA Intel PCH HDMI 0 for the connection to my receiver. Not sure if it matters which of the NUC HDMI port you use.

After T&E’ing it, I get nothing from any of the “devices” that Roon sees directly connected from the NUC. There does not seem to be a signal passing from the NUC to the receiver.

Do I have to enable something or change a setting in the ROCK/NUC interface (as in not in Roon)? Or is a USB interface preferred or required?

(Of course it’s possible that it is something with the receiver–FWIW, a Yamaha RX-A770–but I won’t bother the good folks here with that inquiry.)

In Roon -> Settings -> Audio did you click the blue enable button to enable the Core HDMI 0 on the NUC ?

Whoa…I initially responded to this but that was wrong…

I do not have a device called Core HDMI 0. See screenshot. The device labeled Yamaha is just HDMI 4 renamed.

Core sounds fairly important. Is it? And if so, any idea why it’s missing or how to get it back?

I have a NUC8I3BEH…Not sure why I have “Core HDMI 0” and you do not. I think you will probably be fine with HDA Intel PCH HDMI 0…but I cannot say for certain. I think they may be the same thing.

EDIT: I think I may have renamed “Intel PCH HDMI 0” to “Core HDMI 0” :slight_smile:

You can rename the zones anything you want. That is useful for multiple connections to a single device or duplicate devices.

I understand. That’s why one of mine is called Yamaha. Every one that I have in use has been renamed. Jaimie and I weren’t communicating re whether his “Core” was named that as discovered by Roon or whether it was renamed. I was hoping we’d stumbled on something useful but alas no.

Which leaves me wondering why my receiver is not receiving an audio signal from the NUC via HDMI. Unfortunately the receiver does not have a USB input for me to try, and the NUC doesn’t have RCA outputs so I’m left with trying TOSLINK. Which I’ll do later today, but from what I’ve read, HDMI should be working.

As a shot in the dark, try each and all of the HDMI output options. Since the NUC has only on physical HDMI output connector (afaik), any one might work.

Tried that. Have tried all HDMI “devices” on Core recognized by Roon. The receiver is not playing any audio signal from its HDMI inputs sourced from the NUC.

Before I start plugging things into every input on the receiver with every type of interconnect I can find in the garage in order to test the receiver itself, I would like to make sure that I at least have the NUC properly configured and that I’m not asking it to do something it’s not properly configured to do at the moment.

Note: All other Roon endpoints in the system are working properly (on wifi). That includes an iMac, MacBook, 2 iPads, iPhone, Raspberry Pi and a Bluesound Node 2i into a Cambridge Audio CXA61.

Here’s a dummy question. Do I need to install Roon bridge on the NUC?

I’m puzzled, if the nuc has hdmi cable to receiver, hdmi zone is enabled and selected in roon, receiver is set to play with that hdmi input then it should work. I did not have to do anything other than that.

What does the hdmi zone device setup configuration look like?

Have you tried different HDMI cables?

You’re puzzled? Try being me. :wink:

The HDMI zone device setup is exactly what I posted above.

I have tried 2 different hdmi cables so far. I have tried every “device” that Roon finds emanating from the NUC. I have a footlocker full of HDMI’s, optical, USB’s, RCA. But, as I said in my above post, before I go down the road of trying every cable in the house, or troubleshooting the receiver itself, I would like to make sure that I’m not missing an important setting, switch, software app, etc. in the NUC>ROCK>Roon>Yamaha receiver sequence.

So I guess my questions are, and limited only to what I can presently think of…

1. Do I need to enable something ELSE on either the NUC hardware side, or the ROCK software side so that the NUC’s hdmi ports are lit up, I.e., active? Or is the fact that Roon sees them in Setup>Audio sufficient evidence that settings are a go? (Pretty sure the answer to 2d question is yes.)

2. Do I need to ALSO install Roon bridge? (I’m pretty sure not; that ROCK already does that, but I’m more than willing to be wrong on anything. The support doc for Roon bridge only tells you what it does; it doesn’t tell you under what circumstances and system configurations it’s required.)

I get that it should be working when set up as you have described your system, but it doesn’t so I gotta figure out where in the sequence the problem is located.

Oh…and yes. I’ve done all the baseline “complete knucklehead” stuff. Like making sure volume is turned up and not muted, that the right hdmi port in the receiver is selected, etc.

@dcw96161 – I went through this process fairly recently. For me, HDA Intel PCH HDMI Zone 0 worked for NUC+ROCK+Roon --> HDMI --> Marantz Receiver. I may have had to restart the receiver and NUC a couple of times.

And here’s a thread I started at that time, in case you haven’t seen it and there’s anything you find useful in there:

Thank you! I will go through that and try the suggestions.

Unrelated to this thread, aka apropos of nothing…I have to say this is the best community forum I’ve ever participated in. There is so much knowledge and experience here, so many gracious and generous folks, and I’m grateful to have found Roon and its rockin’ community of fans helping a great product on it way.

Thanks everyone for helping create a terrific product and bringing newbies (like me) along. I know there are a lot of professional here, and your contributions are invaluable.

1 Like

Add to knucklehead list

Is receiving device powered up :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously have you connected a monitor by HDMI , I assume the should work or maybe even a TV just to see if you can get signal out

Most frustrating

@Mike_O_Neill had a good point. Assuming you have a tv connected to the AV receiver, do you see the NUC boot information displayed in the upper left portion of the TV screen when you have the NUC HDMI selected on the receiver?

There are 2-3 more stuck inside the thunderbolt connection. You need a splitter. I believe the last on is on the motherboard via a special connector (think embedded display).

Ok. So coming back on a quiet Saturday afternoon to try and wrestle this to the ground.

Rock/NUC. 1 outgoing HDMI port. Trying to connect to a Yamaha receiver. I have tried a couple of different HDMI cables that have worked in other settings so I believe them to be good.

I have grouped all of the various Roon endpoints originating from the NUC into a single zone just to see if I get anything at all. No sound.

The TV that is connected to the receiver shows the message on the attached screenshot when I select the HDMI port into which the NUC is connected.

But when I hit play in Roon, I get “Failed to open the audio device.” See other screenshot.

I have other devices connected by HDMI to the receiver so I do not believe there’s anything amiss there. I have also tried other HDMI inputs on the receiver with the same result.

I’m baffled.

Another theory…

Do the different HDMI inputs on a receiver behave differently? See third screenshot.

I use one of the usb ports… works well. DSD up to DSD512