Re-installing Roon sounds better?

Does Roon 2.0 sound better when installed from scratch instead of overdubbed the old Roon? Some friends of mine claim that re-installing Roon makes it sound better. Snake oil or little truth?

Please keep me up to date on beliefs on this. This one kind of takes the cake.

3 Likes

even snake-oil salesmen would be laughing at this. :stuck_out_tongue:

I do not think it will, but you just can try.

Any how, a very big applause for those who came up with that thought, i could not in my wildest dreams.

Now going to get a beer and popcorn, it will be an amusing thread. :partying_face:

4 Likes

If you can imagine it, you can definitely feel like you hear it.

2 Likes

I recommend a 12 year old single malt whilst reinstalling Roon. After a few anything sounds better.

Just update. You won’t hear any difference.

6 Likes

[satire]
I suggest reinstalling Roon. Then wipe disc and reinstall WIN7. Then reinstall Roon. Then wipe disc and reinstall Win10. Then reinstall Roon. This 3rd install will be the best sound. But if you upgrade to WIN11, it will undo all the sound improvements.
[/satire]

3 Likes

It’s not April again is it?

1 Like

I don’t want to say this, but it is difficult not to. I feel uncharitable. But…

If you turn around three times while reinstalling and solemnly pronounce the words “ishkabibble” four times, the Sonic performance will be Maximized.

Now I both feel better and feel worse.

2 Likes

I’m laughing like a moron! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

Don’t feel bad. I have friends who say things like this to me, and I have my moments. You’re reacting like a champ, and you’ve brought us all a little joy tonight. Thank you.

Anyways, this was the first time you posted in the community- welcome!

4 Likes

Thanks! :joy: :joy:

1 Like

Yes welcome to the forum. And if I posted all the stuff I either fell for, or almost fell for, before I knew any better, I’d be ashamed to show my face anywhere on the planet. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Yes.

//////

2 Likes

If you follow the recommended architecture it will sound the same. If you want Roon to “sound better” you can also spend 24 hours listening to nothing with your system powered off. After not listening to anything for a day and rebooting everything you’ll hear different. After a week it will be same again. If you really want night / day difference spend a week away from your system before returning.

Of course, there are all kinds of none reference architectures people use which could make reinstall change something but you didn’t specify any details about your install so I can’t begin to speculate.

1 Like

You make an interesting point about how our perception of sound works and can be altered.

Several years ago I got a clear demonstration of this. I went on a week long vacation with some friends, and the friend who drove had the treble cranked up on his car stereo; it sounded obnoxiously bright to me in the beginning. After being exposed to it all week, it didn’t sound as bad.

When I first listened to my home system after getting home, it sounded so dull, as if all the tweeters had been disconnected! My immediate reaction was that something was terribly wrong with my system, but then realized my hearing had adapted to the overly bright car stereo. Sure enough, after some time with my home system it went back to sounding normal to me.

It’s amazing what our brains do to our perception of sound.

2 Likes

Can this be? Has reason finally prevailed? Or is it just that we haven’t heard from “the other side” yet? I can think of “explanations” why re-installing would sound better, based on the various myths I’ve read in this forum.

This is a well known issue and is particularly relevant when auditioning multiple speakers at a hifi shop. Whatever deficiencies the first speaker you listen to has, the next speaker you audition will tend to sound the opposite in those aspects. Throw in complete lack of volume matching and it becomes an impossible task to determine what they will sound like after a few weeks at home.

1 Like

Thanks for mentioning this. Got me thinking.

Last time I ask the dealer about some cheeper focal. I was listening to some goldenear. He said he cannot show the ones that I asked for but has another pair of focal, and he plug them in :slight_smile: I left without buying the goldenears but the focals were totally out of my budget. I returned after 2 days for the goldenears, but there were 2 hell days.