Recent Roon Core recent updates made it unusable

Roon Core Machine

Networking Gear & Setup Details

• Connected via Ethernet (Zyxel Desktop Switch 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet)
  • Ubiquiti Amplifi router, No VPN
  • Library on WD My Cloud 12 To EX2 Ultra (connected to the same Ethernet Switch)

Connected Audio Devices

• Audio/Video amplifier connected to RoonCore via HDMI
  • RoPieee

Number of Tracks in Library

• 27000 tracks in library

Description of Issue

After working 5 years without a glitch, my Roon Core has become unable to play an entire song without skipping to the next one, on all Roon bridges.

I noticed that when the problem occurs, the CPU reaches 100% (see screenshot below).

I suspected a problem with the display (a web browser is running on the same computer where Roon Core is running) so I disabled the web browser but that did not help.
(The only thing running on that computer is Roon Server.)

(I uploaded all my /var/roon/RoonServer/Logs/ files to Zoho Workdrive.)

1 Like

(another RoonServer on Ubuntu Server 22.04.2 user, similar library size, early access build 1292) Do you see anything different on /var/log/syslog when those CPU bursts happen? 5.0 load average looks rather extreme, unless you are using significant DSP (are you?) One not uncommon problem with NUCs is thermal overload especially when dust accumulates in the fan and internally. I don’t know that would show up as high CPU load avg, but it could definitely cause glitches and skips via CPU throttling.

Thank you @Fernando_Pereira for your insight!
I am using no DSP at all.
I recently opened the barebone and cleaned it (although there was not much dust).
I’ll check /var/log/syslog next time.

Hi @Benjamin_Bellamy ,

Thanks for reaching out with your report. I’ve activated diagnostics for your Roon account and I am seeing clues that you may be experiencing an issue we are looking into. Can you please confirm - do you by any chance have more than 1,000 albums or tracks by the same artist?

Hi @noris,
Thank you for investigating my case!
Although I don’t know where to get that specific piece of information, I don’t think I have more than 1000 albums/tracks by the same artist: I have a total of 1600 albums/27K tracks, and for the same artist the maximum is 42 albums (that’s U2, so probably ~420 tracks…).

Hi @Benjamin_Bellamy ,

I spoke to the team and we have prepared a method to get this information.

Please try to navigate to Roon → My Library → Artists and Sort by Album Count, then use Command + A to select all of your artists.

Next, try exporting to an Excel file by clicking on the three dots next to Play Now at the top of the window and clicking Export, for example:

Then once you have this Excel spreadsheet generated, please upload it to the following uploader link and let us know once done:

https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/collection/nqcgjac23027d90a441bda2c314de49d7958a/external

Thanks!

I followed your instructions and uploaded the Excel file!

Hi @Benjamin_Bellamy,

A fellow Ben following up on your thread here - thanks for sending over the excel file!

Just to give you a quick update - our QA team is in the process of reproducing the issues you face in order to better understand the root cause. To help them with this process, having a copy of your database would be quite helpful.

If you could, please locate your backup folder (or, create a fresh folder and make a fresh backup on your current database experiencing issues) zip it up and send it over to our database portal. I’ll share links below:

1. Zip up your RoonBackups folder (right-click it and select “Compress…”):
  2. Submit the .zip file to us through our Database Issues portal

Thanks, Ben!

Hello!
Any update on this?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.