Release date for iOS App?

Exactly. This is the reason why staff didn’t want to mention a fixed release date in the first place.
Something might come up, release gets delayed and everybody is unhappy.

It will be released, it will be great, rather wait a few more days than having something rushed out with lots of bugs.

2 Likes

Personally I rather have a release date with the possibility of postponement (what date isn’t?) than no release date at all.

Unfortunately, the expectation has already been set, first with the statement that the iOS will be released, then a suggested date.

I genuinely don’t think we’re being unreasonable in asking where they are with their plan to deliver. If it’s delayed, then so be it, but they could at least give us an indication of whether it’s already been submitted to Apple and typical turnaround times. In addition, they agreed to that three days ago.

1 Like

We are in final testing now for iOS, and it is our hope to submit to the Apple App Store in ~2 weeks.

10 Likes

Currently (2015-06) about 10 days (see here for rolling average etc).

My advice to Roon (Based on getting my app reviewed) would be:

1 Send a video (Not an App Store video - a 5 min video showing real world usage)
2 Send a link to a forum where beta testers have posted their comments

This is especially useful where the app is non-trivial and needs special hardware to test (A Hi-Fi component etc)

Rik

1 Like

Thanks Danny

Russ

Thanks Danny!

Does Apple still allow iOS developers to make beta versions of software available through the store? That might be a nice bonus for the early paying adopters of Roon.

3 Likes

I’m not sure how it works, but I’ve used the TestFlight app to beta test Spotify on iOS

Yes, Apple bought a company called TestFlight about 6 months ago. It allow reasonably easy beta testing of apps (Thought Apple still have to do a (shorted) review).

There is also Hockey which is a non Apple (so not bout by review) apps. However this is more difficult for testers (as you need device id’s etc) [Or you did last time I used it].

Rik

FYI… still testing iOS, still on schedule to submit to the store in about a week.

7 Likes

Good to hear Danny

With so many enthusiastic early adopters, is there a reason you are not doing user-level beta testing?

once the builds leave the internal dev/qa process, they go to a group of about 12 people outside the company (we just added one last week) that are dedicating some pretty serious hours every week to help us with what we call “alpha” testing. the software they get is … uh… less than perfect :smile:

after that, we were hoping to just have 2 tracks of builds… beta and stable. this would be a public beta. its pretty high up the todo list right now to get that going… unfortunately, it has a few things ahead of it: iOS, metadata editing, headless builds for mac/windows, roonspeakers, and linux builds.

for iOS, first we have to get it into the store before we can “alpha”. right now, everyone is provisioned by hand, and we cant do that beyond a handful of devices.

once we submit to apple (not for approval) we can go to a wider group outside the company. was hoping to get that done today, but the holiday is throwing off my plans.

4 Likes

Thanks for the update. I’m looking forward to Roon done right on my iPad (as opposed to what i’m doing with Splashpad now)!

You mention some other projects. You’re developers, so of course you have a roadmap for your company. Can you share it here? The headless mac was news to me (and gets a big woo-hoo, too!).

Thanks, again. And remember, never stop working!

1 Like

Thanks for update, looking forward to iOS app!

Thanks for keeping us posted, very much appreciated. Keep up the great work.

+1

@danny a roadmap would be nice since paying customers are in this for a year or for life. Dates aren’t necessary but knowing what is immediately ahead and what is farther out, no longer in the pipelines or newly added would be good.

And thanks for the update and the hard work.

@fritzg: we dont have an official roadmap, but I listed some of the items being worked on right now at:

Release date for iOS App? and
Can you choose which disk you want to install Roon on?

Thanks. I had seen one, but not the other. Looking forward to the next three or four new features listed.