Release RoPieee 2023.07.1

Hi,

Just before the weekend another release.

This is a minor one, with the biggest feature being that there’s a separate image for the Allo Usbridge with a kernel that contains the patched ethernet chipset driver. (see other post)

For the rest some minor upgrades to XL software:

• NEW: separate (legacy) build for Allo Usbridge with 5.15 kernel
  • ENHANCEMENT: [XL] update Plexamp component
  • ENHANCEMENT: [XL] update Squeezelite component
  • ENHANCEMENT: [XL] update UPnP Bridge (squeeze2upnp)
  • ENHANCEMENT: update Linux kernel

Over the coming the days your units will show the update being available.

Enjoy!

Regards,
Harry

15 Likes

one picked it up already, updated, plays well so far…

Unfortunately I hear ticking /crackling noises (like from old vinyl records) ever so often now via USB which haven’t been there before, which I noticed after a critical STAX headphone listening session yesterday night. The previous version 2023.7 did not have this when I switched to my other Pi4. So will not update the others and wait until resolved…

Yep, could repeat the crackling noises using slow and calm music: DEUTER, “sound of invisible water”, 96kHz sample via Qobuz. Using ROPIEEE via USB it is there, via SPDIF (Coax) using my Bluesound N130 streamer it is not there, simultaniously fed to a CAYIN DAC11 to its USB and COAX inputs!

While listening: 1dd0ee7b0b9f4dcb

Same with me, I downloaded and reflashed the dedicated Allo USBridge Sig version and hear a crackling noise, ca. every minute or so, when listening to native DSD 256 for example. It does not appear on PCM, e.g. 96/24 or 88,2/24.

Roon w/ HQPe on Audio-Linux V3 → Ropieee HQPe NAA → Lampizator Atlantic TRP ( hqplayer-embedded 5.1.0-1, roonserver 2.0.1303-1, RoPieeeXL 2023.07.1 (1073), Kernel 5.15.92-SPCKFSH-v7+)

Greetings @spockfish!

This updated resolved my problem with the reduced output from Plexamp. I made no changes to the Plexamp settings on the Pi Zero 2 before this update. Thank you so much for getting this problem resolved.

I am still unable to use AirPlay and appear to be restricted to 24 bit/48 kHz when using the Apple USB-C to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter. Do you think you can get the Apple adapter working correctly in a future update, or should I look for another DAC?

Thank you for your dedication to this project.

Best regards,

RU

That’s a limitation of the device. Nothing I can do about that.

I send a logfile from current DSD playback, where the noises appear e22aadc5d2796517

Nothing to see here.

Doing DSD256 on an Usbridge is stretching it wrt bandwidth, so I suspect that’s the cause.

Thanks @spockfish Harry, for investigating. As the specs of Allo claim, that DSD512 is possible in theory, what are you thoughts of the headroom of a PI4 based endpoint. Looking at the specs, the bandwidth of a PI4 seem to nearly double.

Regards,
Andreas

… and can do dsd512 without issues, I use two as NAA endpoint

2 Likes

My cracks appeared while playing 24/96kHz PCM so far away from any bandwith linitations…

So I went back to 2023.5.1 for my Allo DigiOne and no crackling noises…
Any downsides of doing so Harry?

Hi @spockfish, first time RopieeeXL user here and, up front, thanks for all your hard work on this free product! I just bought a few RPi4Bs and a couple of SMSL SU-1 DACs for my kitchen and bedroom. Already had a Allo Boss2 in my canopy and installed RopieeeXL on there, as well.
I am experiencing reproducable pops directly after pressing play and ca. 5 seconds after pressing pause button in Roon. It’s always two pops directly after each other. On the Boss2 I get a little bit of crackle about 5 seconds after pausing.
I connect the DACs via USB and stream wirelessly.

14cb86f4dfc16aad

1 Like

Install the 2023.5.1 version and it should work well, done that…

Thanks Klaus I will try that.

No don’t do that. Your version is fine.
I’ll check the logs.

1 Like

Hi Teun,

Your logs look fine.
Just to be sure I understand it correctly:

Normal playback works, except at the beginning of a session and at the end?

Hi Harry, suddenly the issue is gone. It’s very strange because I have not changed anything…Thanks for the support!

Reboot done possibly??