Remote connectivity issues in OSX

Same issue here
Logs: https://www.dropbox.com/s/th5n1z8sjpsc8jo/MZBE%20Logs.zip?dl=0

Core on Windows 10 v1703 64bit, 2xXeon 2687w v2, 64RAM

Disconnects on iOS, Mac, Windows, and Android clients
(“Waiting for remote core …”)
At the same time, local client on the same machine as Core keeps working and has connection to all end points (Squeezebox, RPI)

Hi @mzbe ---- Thank you for reaching out to me and sharing your feedback. As a general rule we try to handle any support related questions on the “support” section of community so others have access to any information being shared, should it prove to he useful for them as well. Would you mind if I made this a public topic and we can continue from there?

Moving forward, I am not quite sure that you and Oliver are having the same issue. It appears that his issue is occurring when the computer is in a sleeping state and it seems like you are having a more generalized performance issue with your remotes. Please due correct if I am wrong.

-Eric

1 Like

Eric by all means continue this in public. Wouldn’t want to share my log files, though?
You are right that in my case this is not sleep mode related.
Whenever my remotes (e.g. Mac or iPhone or Android) lose connection with Core, I use Splashtop to remote in the Windows machine running Core, launching the Roon client locally there. When I then start playback on one of the endpoints (Squeezebox or RPI), the Core becomes visible to the other remotes again.
Typing in the Core machines’ IP address in the “looking for Core” dialog doesn’t help, for what it’s worth.

Thanks for getting back to me, @mzbe! Very appreciated!

Moving forward, can you please provide me with the following:

• Please provide an accurate description of your network configuration/topology being sure to provide insight into any networking hardware you may be implementing. I want to have a clear understanding of what the chain of communication looks like and what tools are being utilized to make these connections possible.

• Please verify the models of Remote device you are noticing this issue with (i.e "Disconnects on iOS, Mac, Windows, and Android clients).

• I want to make sure I am understanding your “use case” correctly. You’ve mentioned the following:

“Whenever my remotes (e.g. Mac or iPhone or Android) lose connection with Core, I use Splashtop to remote in the Windows machine running Core, launching the Roon client locally there. When I then start playback on one of the endpoints (Squeezebox or RPI), the Core becomes visible to the other remotes again.”

When you notice this behavior and a remote devices disconnects from your Core, your remote into the Windows 10 via Splashtop and start playback to one of your endpoints. Thus triggering the remotes to re-connect with the core machine, is this right?

• If you perform the following tests do you find that your remotes are able to connect to the core?

TEST #1:

1. Shut down your Core
  2. Open Roon on your Remote
    Tip: If you are using a phone, make sure you keep it awake
  3. Roon should be on the “Searching For Core” screen
  4. Start up the Core

TEST #2:

1. Start up your Core
  2. Open Roon on your Remote
    Tip: If you are using a phone, make sure you keep it awake
  3. Kill the Roon app
    Tip: If you are using Android please go to Settings > Apps > Roon > Force Stop
  4. Restart Roon on on your Remote

-Eric

1 Like

test 1: remotes are able to connect to core
test 2: add condition after step 2 - wait for remote to loose connection - then restarting Remote doesn’t restore connection with Core. Otherwise restarting Remote will reconnect

Having spent many hours trying to troubleshoot this, the circumstances of the issue seem to be along the lines

1. some short time interruption in network connection occurs
  2. this is preventing Remotes from connecting
  3. connecting to Core with a local Remote (same PC as Core) unblocks the issue - remote Cores able to connect again

My network topology: Core on Win10 - Cat 6 - Asus RT-AC 5300 [1] / Media Bridge mode - 5Ghz channel - Asus RT-AC 5300 [2] - Remotes connected via Wifi or Cat 6
Clients: iPhone 5s, 7+, iPad Air, iPad Pro, Kindle Fire HD, Macbook Pro 15" Late 2016, Macbook Air 2014 (Mac OS and Win10)

Hi @mzbe ---- Thank you for the follow up and providing the requested feedback, very appreciated!

Moving forward, I would like to grab some logs from one of your remote devices you are experiencing this behavior with and will be contacting you via PM shortly with further instructions.

-Eric