Remotes disconnect from Core after some time

I am having a similar issue with Roon Server. After some period of time without playing music (typically overnight) I cannot find the remote core whenever I try to initiate playback from my IPad app. My system in actually an intel nuc with windows 10 pro.

Should I try the suggested method in comment #15 about rebuilding the database? Open to any feedback or suggestions on how to resolve as I currently have to restart roon server to reconnect to the core.

Hi @Ben_Moree,

So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Is the iPad remote the only remote device that experiences this issue, or does it occur with other remotes as well?

Thanks @dylan
I am running RoonServer 1.6 (64 bit) on a Nuc7i7BNH. The OS is Windows 10Pro with 16gd ram and 250gb SSD. The Nuc is connected via wireless to my home network.

Music is stored on a Synology Diskstation NAS with 16Tb in a Raid 5 array that is connected to a T-link unmanaged switch via Ethernet cable. Drives are mapped to Nuc as shares. There are 17K or so tracks on the drive, many of them high res.

I’m using a AirPort Extreme router with static IP assignment for all devices.

I only use the iPad app for control.

Hi @Ben_Moree,

It sounds like there may be some networking difficulties at play here that are causing the behavior that you’re experiencing.

As mentioned in our Networking Guide, we recommend that your Core machine is connected to the network via Ethernet whenever possible. Additionally, we typically recommend against Apple networking hardware as we have seen connection issues stem from them in the past.

Moving forward with troubleshooting, I’d like to recommend a couple of things that should give us some greater insight into this behavior.

1. If possible, connect your Core machine via Ethernet. Is there any change in behavior here?
  2. If you have another device (Windows, Mac, iOS, or Android) that you can use as a remote, does the same behavior occur with the other remote?

@dylan
I’ll need to double check that I have the available ports to directly connect the core. I can pull an ethernet cable out of any device as needed. I’ll need to give it some time for the event to happen once I hardwire the device.

As for other devices, I have the app on my iPhone. I checked this morning and I had the following message. Please see the attached screenshot.

Do you have the Roon Server PC set to sleep or hibernate?

1 Like

@dylan surprisingly no issues tonight when I got home from work. iPad connected immediately. On my iPhone I had to remove core but after doing that, the iPhone also immediately found the core and connected. All of this was still while I was connected via WiFi.

I’ve also taken your suggestion and hard wired the connection to the switch but the router is still apple. I’m considering replacing them soon but it won’t happen this week. I’m going to continue to test with the hard wired connection over the next several days and report back.

@Rugby the server isn’t set to hibernate or sleep.

2 Likes

Thought I’d check in and report that I’ve had no issues over the last few days with connections. Not really sure what changed but I’ll leave it hardwired just in case it was related. Thanks for the help.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.