Restore Data to Roon Nucleus

What are the best steps to load my Roon core currently running on my Windows 10 Laptop to a new Roon Nucleus device. I will be migrating core to the Nucleus and not using the Windows laptop as the core anymore. Just want to make sure I do it correctly. Thank you.

Plug a USB HDD into your laptop. Do a Roon back up to the HDD. Unplug the HDD and plug it into your Roon Nucleus. Do a Roon restore of the backup from HDD to Nucleus.

There are two components involved: (1) your sound files (data), and (2) your library (metadata). Roon can back up and restore your library, but you have to move your sound files manually (or via an automated script, if you have the skills to write one). Follow this guide precisely, and you will have a painless transfer. Good luck.

Music files are something different. They do not reside in the Roon core. Depending on where they are located, they don’t require anything except pointing the new Roon core at them as part of the setup process.

Thanks Jim!

1 Like

Thanks NickMaz!

Make sure the new Nucleus is updated to the latest RoonOS and Roon server before you do anything.

Just did exactly that on a new NUC/ROCK install

Take @Jim_F’s advice and do a single manual backup , your routine back ups , if they are anything like mine , consists of thousands of small files and take forever to copy to a Drive to achieve this .

I eventually gave up and did just as Jim suggested . All restored without a blip.

This topic was automatically closed after 45 days. New replies are no longer allowed.