Ripping disc to Roon

When ripping a disc to Roon it now seems to multi copy the whole library. I now know that if there is a spinning circle on the library page I am in trouble. I do not know how to stop it apart from crashing the Nucleus by pulling the power chord. I know this not a good thing to do but pressing the power button doesn’t turn the Nucleus off. Last time this happened I copied 3 discs and then went to the library to check they were there. I noticed immediately the spinning circle but by the time I managed to shut it down it was showing a third of a million tracks. I now know that I can correct the library by going into settings and clean up library. But it’s only time before I have a major crash doing what I am doing. The system:- Apple drive with dbPoweramp ripper direct to the Nucleus. USB from Nucleus to dCS Rossini and then to Audio Research Ref 6 Pre and on to what ever amp and speakers. To be honest I have had so many problems that I am now completely confused. I am not well and that’s not helping and I just do not have the time to feel my way around the system. Can you please help it is such a pity as the sound is very good indeed but I cannot recommend this product to customers until I have got a properly stable working system and I understand roughly how the system works. It has been a problem from day one in that it could not find my iTunes library. In the end to get it up an working my son dragged the library over to the internal SSD inside the Nucleus. If I said I need help that would be an understatement.

I think it would be better to first rip the CD to your computer - not directly to the Nucleus.
Once dbPowerAmp has finished its job move the result from your computer to the Nucleus.

1 Like

Hi @Anthony_Scott,

When you add files to Roon, Roon attempts to scan and identify the files you’re adding and place them into albums. Since you’re ripping these files directly to Roon, the entire album isn’t there all at once, so Roon tries to identify incomplete data, resulting in the duplicates when more tracks from an album are added.

Moving forward, there are a couple of options available. First, you could rip the CDs to a different location and then, once ripped, import them to the Nucleus’ watched folder.

Alternatively, while you’re ripping media to the Nucleus, you could stop RoonServer from the Nucleus Web Administration Interface. Will RoonServer not running, Roon will not try to identify these albums. When you are done ripping the files you can enable RoonServer once more.

I always find it helpful to first rip to an intermediary directory (i.e. temp directory) and move the contents to the music directory (i.e. final destination). The temp directory and the music directory should be on the same drive so copy operation does not occur instead of desired move operation. Copy operation can take a long time for large contents exposing to duplication risk again.

Many thanks for the info, I now see the problem and was fairly shaw it was something I was doing but had no idea what. So many thanks all round. I use a MacBook and iTunes I am told it is not set up to handle FLAC or high res and that is why I ripped straight to Roon. It seemed a good idea at the time, wrong again. I can see that I am well out of my competency area and at eighty I suppose I should not be surprised. I will see if my son will help but he’s a Windows man and somewhat struggles with OSX. Oh goody what fun.

Many thanks for your suggestions it lines up with the reply from Dylan. The road map you have suggested now makes a lot of sense so thanks once again.

I rip to my ROCKs attached music store and don’t seem to have these problems. I don’t use dbpoweramp though it’s done via Vortexboxes auto ripper.

I look forward to reaching your age (25 years to go) and still being able to enjoy the music. I hope Apple sticks around to present us with a Windows’ competitor. Keep your ears healthy and enjoy the music.

iTunes (A music program that sits on your MacBook) doesn’t play FLACs, but a FLAC is just a type of music file, and your MacBook itself is very happy to handle that type of file to, for example, temporarily store it until you want to pass it on to another computer (e.g… Nucleus, in your case).

Hope that makes sense.

Moving forward, there are a couple of options available. First, you could rip the CDs to a different location and then, once ripped, import them to the Nucleus’ watched folder.

Suspect I’m being silly but…

Ripping to a local drive and copying the resulting files to a networked Roon library does not mean the files arrive en masse. There is a delay caused by network performance. Is there some form hysteresis within the scanning algorithm?

I’ve never seen a problem!

I rip CDs on my PC with the output folder of dbpoweramp set to my Rocks internal disk. I understood this would extend the ripping time when I began ripping this way but figured the delay would be little different than the longer duration of copying larger hires files to the same location.

When copying over the network, the entries for the files and folders will be created quickly (AFAIK); subsequent copying across of the content is what then takes the time. When ripping, the folder is first created, and then the files are created sequentially over time as the ripping process proceeds. The ripping process is also inherently slower than copying over a network.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.